The RaceDepartment Podcast Returns | S2, E1 Now Available

I have to admit I keep train simulator in my steam library, much to my wife’s amusement.
There’s a particular line in Devon between Paignton and Dartmouth that I have to go on every time we holiday down there and I have it on my train sim. So I just sit and go up and down on that whenever I need to chill out lol. Arguably there’s better things to do but never mind haha. Each to their own and as has already been said, it’s great that we have this community!

Count me as a sim fan. There's something in me that just enjoys simulations. Computer sims, models, dioramas, period movie sets. Once on a visit to Rome I took my wife on a wild goose chase to find a museum in the outskirts that featured a huge diorama of ancient Rome. My wife -- who was justifiably fed up by that time -- said, "I swear you're rather look at a dusty old model than the real forum we could be looking at right now." I couldn't really disagree with her.

When it comes to race sims, I'm not competitive, either by skill or by nature, but I love to ability to "visit" tracks -- especially vintage ones -- and drive cars my childhood heroes drove. Yeah, they might not be scientifically realistic, or as precisely modeled as a studio-licensed car with wings and a gaudy livery, but it lets me be, for a moment, James Garner in his Yamura at Spa in "Grand Prix", or one of the real drivers of that era. I'll go for "believable" and "immersive" over "realistic" any day.

PS "Miniature Wonderland" in Hamburg is developing a Monaco Grand Prix with moving cars to add to their spectacular miniature world. Check it out on YouTube.

Love the podcast!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back