The point of ACC

123rem

@Simberia
Since the recent introductions of scripted day-night transitions, the weather effects and the increasingly high quality Assetto Corsa mods, is it time for Kunos to abandon the development of their limited ACC title and to push Assetto Corsa as the GPL moddable sim of it's generation?

Does anyone think ACC will usurp Assetto Corsa as a sim? I don't.

All well-thought-out responses welcome.

Short catchphrases not welcome.

I think of a ACC as a spin off and a test bed for for AC2. AC is a bit long in the tooth but I can see AC2 being an open ended platform similar to iracing. I think AC is at the mercy of the community and it's fan base and I do believe it'll go on for many years.

Oh wow, it's almost like new games get made all the time while some prior made games gain some of the same features via modding!

Maybe we should just stop making new games, since modding is clearly the only logical choice and no advancement or improvement could ever be gained from making a new game on an entirely different, more open and more explored basis!

/s

Since the recent introductions of ... weather effects ...
Emphasis on 'effects'. Because that's all it amounts to in comparison to ACC. Does it look nice? Sure. But its no replacement for what I consider to be one of the highlight features of ACC.

Anyway they are not really competing products. Yes there is some crossover but for the most part they have and will continue to co-exist pretty nicely.

Popular modable games always have much longer sales cycles and tails than those games without, because the community fills in the gaps and content the gamer makers never did. Arma has spawned multiple genres now from Survival games and more recently battle royale. With ACC not being moddable it is unlikely to do as well in the long term as AC does unless it starts to do something about the "competizone" part of its name, it needs a better multiplayer system. Of release 7 is basically it and the game is mostly done then I think AC will beat it out after some initial sales and fun before people go back to something more competive.

It all depends on hat Kunos does, but without mods it isn't going to compete well with AC or the other sims.

I don't think both titles collide at all. If you like GT3 cars, ACC is probably the best title you can buy. Maybe rFactor 2 can put up a fight with the gt3 DLC but a game made solely for a single class of car is bound to do that class extremely well. AC is the open ended title with different classes of cars and where moders like rss make their magic work.
The weather effects in AC though nice can't compare to native effects. Compare them to PCARS 2 or ACC and they are harder to run and look worse. And you need to instal a bunch of different files to have them work.

I tend to support a game that supports the modding community. It's why GTR2 , Race07 , AMS , AC , RF2 ect get most all my attention now days , because I love seeing what a game developer AND a decent modder can do together.

In ACC......you would of never been able to try out / use cars from people like Race sim studio , ASR , VRC , ect. Some of the modding community in all those titles I listed above , have been brilliant! And have made some incredible mods , tracks , skins ect......which in turn has made those sims incredible.

I do really like RR3 and Iracing as well , but I spend 99% of my time in mods that have the modder's best interest at heart. And I don't mind one bit supporting a decent modding group / person either with my wallet.

Since the recent introductions of scripted day-night transitions, the weather effects and the increasingly high quality Assetto Corsa mods, is it time for Kunos to abandon the development of their limited ACC title and to push Assetto Corsa as the GPL moddable sim of it's generation?

Short sighted opinions also not welcome.

'Abandon the development'? And why? What are you talking about?
If you don't like ACC, you are entitled to that. But there's the simple fact that ACC is way more advanced than AC in all aspects. Kunos decided not to re-heat the same soup from 2013 and instead do something more ambitious, and with the latest 0.7 release they already have a lot to be proud of. If you wanted to make them change their minds, it is a tad late now.

Last edited:
Although it is a beautiful sim, I think the narrow focus of ACC will mean it won't be a successful title, that's all. That was the point I was making.

I believe Assetto Corsa will still make Kunos money well after ACC is dead in the water. Some of the best sim developers died a similar death, mistaking progress for popularity. ACC is distinctly boring. I cannot see this title making them money, particularly after how much they have spent on the branding and involvement of the Blancpain brand.

It's just greed, unfortunately. Greed and not listening to your consumer base. No AC fan would have suggested this is what we wanted in the new title from Kunos. I would guess historical racing would have been the number one choice. 1950s,60s F1 cars hurtling around historic Nurburgring, Spa, Monaco would have sold a lot more than ACC.

Their naivety brought us the wonderful AC, but their naivety brought them to the lame duck that is ACC.

Again, my opinion. If ACC makes more than it cost, I'll eat my own balls. It just won't. Not a chance. I am a Chartered Accountant so I have some idea what I am talking about. I would not invest in ACC.

Last edited:
No AC fan would have suggested this is what we wanted in the new title from Kunos. I would guess historical racing would have been the number one choice. 1950s,60s F1 cars hurtling around historic Nurburgring, Spa, Monaco would have sold a lot more than ACC.
no, F1 would be the #1 choice of AC fans but Codemasters has an exclusive on that, so that wasn't an option. Blancpain's definitely got the most popular content in AC.

Although it is a beautiful sim, I think the narrow focus of ACC will mean it won't be a successful title, that's all. That was the point I was making.

I believe Assetto Corsa will still make Kunos money well after ACC is dead in the water. Some of the best sim developers died a similar death, mistaking progress for popularity. ACC is distinctly boring. I cannot see this title making them money, particularly after how much they have spent on the branding and involvement of the Blancpain brand.

It's just greed, unfortunately. Greed and not listening to your consumer base. No AC fan would have suggested this is what we wanted in the new title from Kunos. I would guess historical racing would have been the number one choice. 1950s,60s F1 cars hurtling around historic Nurburgring, Spa, Monaco would have sold a lot more than ACC.

Their naivety brought us the wonderful AC, but their naivety brought them to the lame duck that is ACC.

Again, my opinion. If ACC makes more than it cost, I'll eat my own balls. It just won't. Not a chance. I am a Chartered Accountant so I have some idea what I am talking about. I would not invest in ACC.
I disagree. GT3 is by far the most popular racing category in Sim Racing right now and a game that is basically a study level sim on GT3 is going to sell really well.

According to GTplanet news, the numbers of players on the first week were just shy of what PCARS2 managed which was (and still is) arguably a very successful title.

So be prepared to eat your balls I suppose.

I think this is an extremely insular opinion. I read a comment from one of the large sim developers in the last few months (I don't think it was someone from Kunos, but could be wrong) where he said the consumer demand for content was overwhelmingly for modern racing. "What they see on TV."

Go take a look at the signups for the first ACC club races. No doubt the signups will settle down over time, but there is unquestionably interest from the sim racing community.

I'm also a little confused about what greed you are accusing them of demonstrating. It seems contradictory to say within two sentences that they are spending way too much money on licensing, creating a niche racing sim that few people are interested in, and are also greedy for doing so. Wouldn't greed be more about catering solely to what they think will sell the most copies of the game?

Funnily, I think they actually are trying to cater to what they think will sell the most copies, but I don't think it is greedy to do so. If they don't make money on the game they can't continue to develop sims for all of us to enjoy, and game development is extremely expensive.

As a RaceRoom fan I thought it had really captured the GT3 class, we had it nailed, but much to my chagrin Kunos pulled the rug out from under us by creating ACC. For sim racers wanting a focused game based on modern cars it is a dream come true and of course has room for expansion once the core is in place.
The more successful early racing games tended to be based around a particular class or series, GPL, Indycar, RBR, Toca and GTR2 so there is a market for them and Kunos is catering to it. I think it's because he's passionate about what he is doing not based on greed, he could lazily have made AC2 and it would have been lapped up but he chose a different path.
So much as I hate him for stealing RaceRooms thunder I say kudos to Kunos.

Today I jumped online in acc at 13:00 cest. Quickly found a server with 17 drivers. 5 minutes of qualy left. Monza in the dry.
Jumped in, screwed qualy because my brake ducts from my last used setup weren't correc anymore and cooked my brakes (fecking awesome this new stuff!) and started from the back.
Apart from the usual T1 + t2 scramble I had a nice battle with 3 others for p1 and even the slowest ones that we lapped due to their pitstops were nicely making way in a safe manner under blue flags.

Honestly that was great racing for half an hour I totally didn't expect at all!
The depth of the car setups, brake discs, tyre pressures over kerbs, crew warning you when what happens etc etc. You will never see this in a non-specific title as it would just be too much.

So I guess it depends on what you want. Club and league racing on an awesome level plus the chance to simulate a real series that's live streamed for free on YouTube or some random stuff thrown together without proper rules but freedom.

I'd also like to see the sells if Kunos would do everything the modders do now with shader patch and sol. 5-10€ for each part of it. Good luck selling fake rain with a fake moon for actual money as a developer...
And also good luck to do ac2 right now when the original title is still massively loved and worked on.

Does anyone think ACC will usurp Assetto Corsa as a sim?
No, and why would it? Those two are fundamentaly different titles and can coexist nicely. AC has the broad focus of bringing a bit of everything, making everything open and moddable. ACC is the narrow focused approach to build a virtual version of a very popular racing series with overall much less content, but much deeper levels of features, detail and simulation.

If ACC isn't for you, may it be because GT3 doesn't appeal to you, or you like more variety of content, or moddability, then there is no harm in skipping it and staying with AC or one of the other sims. AC is still there, it's still being modded and still has a very large player base.

So I guess it depends on what you want.
Exactly.

Historical racing? Why do you think that 'would have been the number one choice'? Can you elaborate on this?
Of course, GT3 simracing does not appeal to everybody but.. I would have been criticizing them if they had done a poor job. They haven't.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing