WIP The Old Quarry [rFactor]

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
5370-the_old_quarry_Map.jpg

A track combining Permanent circuit qualities in one place and a long snail section curling in on itself before returning round (Like the first corners at Shanghai but a lot longer), with walls hugging the circuit.

The track is almost at time for release, all that needs doing is some small tweaks and the AIW to be done.
If anybody else would like to do the AIW I will be happy and I will credit you in the full release.
I shall release it in this thread first before putting it up on rFactorcentral, nogrip etc... so that I can get it into a good state and take on criticisms before the ratings put the full version well below what it deserves.
(Of my previous releases on rFc, Bregeton has the highest score despite being my first track and being rubbish while my latest track, Alaska, is given a score well below what it deserves.)

Last edited:
Well, you *are* releasing fantasy tracks there... Which apart from being not quite in the same class as real life venues (simulator-wise that is), does mean it's highly highly dependent on personal opinions/likes.
Some fantasy tracks may appeal to people right away, while others won't, and since there's not the "well the real track is like that after all, whether we like it or not "-factor, I guess people will feel more free to dish out the likes and dislikes.

Maybe 'grotty' it up & 'weather' it a bit?
A few grass clumps poking up where grass meets a wall or at the back of gravel traps, some skid marks where desperate braking maneuvers have failed in the past & ended in a gravel trap or a wall (helping to lead non-observant drivers off-line), maybe some scuff marks where tires or body work have rubbed up against a barrier of a wide-line exit....
Just a few little bits to make it appear as though the track isn't exactly brand new sort of thing....;)

Maybe 'grotty' it up & 'weather' it a bit?
A few grass clumps poking up where grass meets a wall or at the back of gravel traps, some skid marks where desperate braking maneuvers have failed in the past & ended in a gravel trap or a wall (helping to lead non-observant drivers off-line), maybe some scuff marks where tires or body work have rubbed up against a barrier of a wide-line exit....
Just a few little bits to make it appear as though the track isn't exactly brand new sort of thing....;)
Ok, will do. Thank you.

Hmm, maybe some scaling issues, the cars do look a bit like remote control toy cars, the walls and fences are really huge. Scaling is really hard to accomplish in BTB, everything easily gets too big, try using the car-for-scale XPack (it's in RD downloads) and place it all around the track in BTB (make sure you assign a new group for it so it's easy to delete them later) and see if some objects look out of scale.

Scaling is mostly problematic in fantasy track, real life tracks are referenced to real life environment all the time so everything stays in scale automatically. In fantasy tracks (or in real life track when reference material is scarce..) things can get out-of-scale easily. In Cicada a friend of mine (he's employed in different game field, RPGs mainly..) noticed that my scale was way off, for ex gurneys that were meant to be just tire width were fatter than the whole car, a lot of textures were scaled the same.. Basically everything had to be scaled 4x smaller. Reason: i used wider than usual road width, that threw everything off....

So use those scaling tools from time to time just to check you are in the right ballpark. I can't really see if there is huge scaling issues in your track, it looks like in some places so check it anyway. the car-for-scale has proven to be good tool. CK-Tools is another good one, it has rulers since there is no way of measuring anything really on BTB (well, there is but it involves shaping a wall and using it's cross-section coordinates...). They are basic Objects so you need to delete them before export (or mark them "no render" and all other paramteres need to be off too) Create a new Object group for tools, it's easier to CTRL-A then and mark all tools at once..

I kind of like the idea, I am normally a realism kind of guy, but I like these fantasy tracks with ridiculously extreme features once in a while(e.g. Rolling Hills for GP4).

Are you open to different ideas?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back