The new physics in the FR90xx

I have been a bit hesitant to comment on the new physics - but on the FR90xx the cars have suddenly turned into something a lot more "floating" and also much more forgiving than before this upd.
Without joking these former pretty nimble and challenging cars have turned to something hovercraft-ish and sluggish.
Im not playing smart guy but this is too much "arcadish"(?) to my taste.
Yes its fun to be able to set laptimes 1-2 secs faster than before the upd - but if I wanted to drive a hovercraft I would rather buy a hovercraft game.

Am I the only one who can feel a difference?:sleep:

No neither do I.
So thats the strange thing - and the reason I have been hesitant to express my rather negative experience.
But the reason Im 100% sure there is something going on is because I have solely driven the FR90xx cars all the last year.
Correction: Since these cars was launched.
So I could feel/see it as soon as I drove the first lap.

My guess is that beside of the individual changes in some of the cars there must have been some kind of general change in the tire model/physics.
But again, I have only tested the mentioned FR90xx class because its years ago I have driven other cars.
Hehe except the electric thingy.

Im solely driving in LB mode and until now I have tested/started reconstructing my LB position:rolleyes: on Gelleråsen, Bathurst and now working on MidOhio.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: A further indication that something drastical have been changed is that suddenly Im 1-3 sec faster per lap on the mentioned tracks. Even handicap´ed with the newly introduced BUG - the fixed steering angle lock.:poop:

Ahh I dont think so.
Because Im using a non-FFB wheel (SRW-S1).
So the "feel" is based 100% of how the car does behave on the screen in relation to my wheel input - and NOT based on how good/bad I have set the FFB settings.:thumbsup:

It feels arcade, it's different, it's PC3. So they ruined the game because it was too difficult or because GTR3 release date is so close now? The grip is amazing, so hard to spun. I didn't change any FFB settings and tested with default setup. Sector3, why you did this to us, the game was perfect before this update??? Back to Assetto Corsa...bye bye

@Kimmo Kokkonen
You said it better than me - and yes I just thought the same "Sector3, why you did this to us, the game was perfect before this update?"
But what is most embarrassing is that I have not seen ANY of the more experienced users both here and in the official S3 forum commenting on this.
I mean until now I have NOT considered all of them as blindfooled fanboys.:sneaky:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I didnt think I would ever say this but now I really HAVE to watch closely what comes out of the Automobilista2. Because I dont consider Raceroom a sim anymore. At least not before they reconstruct this destroyed new tire model.:poop:

@Kimmo Kokkonen
You said it better than me - and yes I just thought the same "Sector3, why you did this to us, the game was perfect before this update?"
But what is most embarrassing is that I have not seen ANY of the more experienced users both here and in the official S3 forum commenting on this.
I mean until now I have NOT considered all of them as blindfooled fanboys.:sneaky:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I didnt think I would ever say this but now I really HAVE to watch closely what comes out of the Automobilista2. Because I dont consider Raceroom a sim anymore. At least not before they reconstruct this destroyed new tire model.:poop:
I only briefly tried the FR90s and because I never drove them much can't say for sure.

GT cars had a considerable improvement though so it might be that some fine tuning is needed.

The reason why it's more planted is probably setup related.
Before patch, if i remember correctly, the rear wing was on 16 clicks out of 18 max.
After patch the rear wing is on 18 clicks out of 22 max. So it has probably more downforce now. Maybe other things has changed in the setup also.
Just tested it with less downforce and it's about the same as before patch.
Conclusion : Raceroom is still a sim ;)

I only briefly tried the FR90s and because I never drove them much can't say for sure.

GT cars had a considerable improvement though so it might be that some fine tuning is needed.
Your first comment is pretty reasonable:thumbsup:. Because if you cannot remember the car from before the upd most people will just consider it as this special cars "personality".
Eventhough I have not heard about any car in RL driving as a hovercraft.

Conserning your 2nd comment then if some of the other cars have been destroyed like the FR90xx class we are absolutely not talking about "some fine tuning".

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I have to admit that experiencing how bad the FR90xx has been I seriously doubt that no other cars have been hit by this downgrade.:sleep:

Your first comment is pretty reasonable:thumbsup:. Because if you cannot remember the car from before the upd most people will just consider it as this special cars "personality".
Eventhough I have not heard about any car in RL driving as a hovercraft.

Conserning your 2nd comment then if some of the other cars have been destroyed like the FR90xx class we are absolutely not talking about "some fine tuning".

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I have to admit that experiencing how bad the FR90xx has been I seriously doubt that no other cars have been hit by this downgrade.:sleep:
That may be. But from the ones I tried since update (GTR3 and 4 and classic DTM cars) they are all very good. Obviously i don't drive as mucj as i want and due to the ammount of contnt in raceroom it will be a while before I go through everything.

It feels arcade, it's different, it's PC3. So they ruined the game because it was too difficult or because GTR3 release date is so close now? The grip is amazing, so hard to spun. I didn't change any FFB settings and tested with default setup. Sector3, why you did this to us, the game was perfect before this update??? Back to Assetto Corsa...bye bye
So ONE car has totally ruined the game? Well at least you didn't overreact, that was a close one... You almost did though, I gotta say.

Just tested it with less downforce and it's about the same as before patch.
I think you are missing the point about how this hovercraft car suddenly is able to sluggish around with laptimes 1-3 sec faster than before.
And I can prove it easily by replays/pictures.
1-3 sec is a lot! Because before it was pretty hard just to squeeze the laptime 0.01sec down.
So instead of accepting your oppinion about still calling this downgraded game a sim I do agree with our finnish friend above and say the S3 devs for some reason have upped the grip so much and made the cars so forgiving that its a offend to other racing sims to also call this a sim.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I know enough about setups to be able to understand if this downgrade is just the result of a bad setup.

I think you are missing the point about how this hovercraft car suddenly is able to sluggish around with laptimes 1-3 sec faster than before.
And I can prove it easily by replays/pictures.
1-3 sec is a lot! Because before it was pretty hard just to squeeze the laptime 0.01sec down.
So instead of accepting your oppinion about still calling this downgraded game a sim I do agree with our finnish friend above and say the S3 devs for some reason have upped the grip so much and made the cars so forgiving that its a offend to other racing sims to also call this a sim.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I know enough about setups to be able to understand if this downgrade is just the result of a bad setup.
I don't recognize the "hovercraft" or "sluggish" behavior when i drive this car, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with this car.

I don't recognize the "hovercraft" or "sluggish" behavior when i drive this car, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with this car.

Only 2 weeks ago I finished my last competition and I drove several hours by this car. If you can drive this same speed i can you may notice differences, thought. i have 21 years experience with racing simulators so I can feel the differences quite easily. As I said I didn't change any settings but I also tested this car with default setup before the update and it was different then.

Please note that it is not only this one car because game physics changed so all cars changed, our old setups not working anymore so it is not the same car anymore.

If you like it so no problem, I don't. I may test FFB settings etc later but I don't understand why they changed something already perfect things???

See also my LB competion location from picture below, this laptime/location took a alot of practising time with that car, at now the car feels totally different than 2 weeks ago, there is so much more grip = more arcadish, it's not only downforce as you cannot spin tyres so easily even in low speed, please test Suzuka it is way more easy now…and I think i'm quite fast driver.

Ranking.jpg

Rethinking:
I will start with an apology because it was me who started to use the a-word.
I should have kept myself to the more reasonable (and less confronting) one: arcadish.:thumbsup:

But I have to say that after 2 days driving these new FR90xx cars and thereby getting too know their new behaviour - then I will keep to my initial judgement that compared to the now old FR90xx´ers the behaviour of these new cars are much more what I interpret as arcadish.
They are extremely sluggish and as example slide over curbs just like my (a bit humorous ment) hovercraft.:whistling:

The reason I take my judgment back that Raceroom is now a complete arcade game is because I only have tested this FR90xx series after the upd.
And if this series is the only one who have become downgraded with this enormously forgiving hovercraft physics then its not fair to call Raceroom an arcade game.

The other reason is because ALL the new menu features in specially the setup/garage menu.
They are just fu** great.:thumbsup:
Hehe and its not something I now say because of the apology - because in I think my thread about the newly introduced Locked Steering Angle BUG Im greeting these new menu features.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I still think its a bit strange that I in the sluggish hovercraft-FR90 is 1-3 seconds faster on every track I have tested compared to the laptimes in the nimble and much more challenging FR90 from before this upd.:sneaky:

Only 2 weeks ago I finished my last competition and I drove several hours by this car. If you can drive this same speed i can you may notice differences
I fully agree with you Kimmo - and completely without any goofy elitist standpoint I will repeat your saying that it probably have something to do with how good you know the individual cars - and thereby how close you are able to drive consistently near your personal best.

If I take one of the many cars I dont know or rather only know enough to be able to run lots of seconds slower than the fastest drivers in that car - then I will not be able to pinpoint if the cars behaviour have been destroyed.

And again without the slightest of this elitist thing then it just took me ½ lap with the hovercraft-FR90 before I stopped the car and asked myself whatwhat :unsure:

Hello.

We did update this car to use the latest tyre model, and also tuned the dampers to behave more correctly.

If you're having issues with handling I believe that will be down to using an old setup which is no longer compatible as some adjustment ranges where tweaked and optimum tyre pressure behaviour has been updated.

You need to reset the car setup and start from afresh.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 94 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 74 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 46 6.1%
  • < 5 years