The New Audi R8 LMS GT2 Revealed

The numbering does actually make sense if you just look at engine power. GT3 cars typically have around 500-600 hp, GT4 cars have around 400-450 hp. And GT2 will have about 600-700 hp, so even more powerful than GT3.

They'll probably be slower than GT3 when it comes to lap time though, putting them between GT3 and GT4 I guess.

Nice enough car, but a totally pointless class. "For amateur drivers", well what are GT4 cars for then? The amateur drivers that can afford to race this car can also afford to race GT3 cars.

I think they have thought more about the money they will make seeling those GT2's to rich people to think they are pro drivers instead of closing the gap between categories...if that would be the main objective GT2 would be and intermediate approach between LMP's and GT3's - Where the difference is really high between cars

The numbering does actually make sense if you just look at engine power. GT3 cars typically have around 500-600 hp, GT4 cars have around 400-450 hp. And GT2 will have about 600-700 hp, so even more powerful than GT3.

They'll probably be slower than GT3 when it comes to lap time though, putting them between GT3 and GT4 I guess.
Yeah but GT1 back in the day had around 550 - 600 hp, so where does it fit? Aaaaaand what about GTE? I don't use letters to count, unless it's algebra.
GT racing is like life itself, confusing and full of questions. And just when you though you are starting to understand it, it goes and puts the 2 between 3 and 4, just like GT racing.

Seems like a way to cram in a needless GT class. Does there really need to be a class between GT4 & GT3? And why name is it GT2? Just call it GT3.5. In five years there will be another GT1 class but it'll be between GTE and GT3.
From this article I gather that it's aimed at amateur drivers to compete alongside GT3 cars. GT3 is a pro/am class, but apparently the growing sophistication of GT3 cars is scaring away amateur drivers. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't just add a class unless they thought it was necessary or beneficial in some way. https://www.autosport.com/gt/news/137830/five-or-six-gt2-cars-could-be-ready-by-late-2019

Well, as Audi knows what they're doing I think we can safely conclude that is not the case.

Why do you think it would generate more drag? The front profile of the car looks exactly the same to the air. This just means the rear wing bottom surface is as clean as possible. As far as putting the wing as far back as possible, I'm sure there's some sort of 'envelope' it must be positioned within. In any case, putting the wing as far back as possible makes the car more pitch sensitive; or, rather, has a greater effect on the pitch of the car as speed increases and that's a bad thing. In an ideal world you'd have all of the downforce centred over top of the wheels, really, but that's not possible.

Regardless of the all the interplay effects, Audi would not have done it if it were worse than what everyone else was running.

GT3's success is pretty much completely down to it being a pay-driver model. There are pro teams, but the category started as a gentleman's cup and the vast majority of the cars are in the hands of amateur drivers. There is the distinct possibility that this GT2 cup could siphon those drivers out of GT3, reducing the ranks there. Which isn't really a bad thing, necessarily, if GT3 is being reshaped as an all-pro category. But sports car racing has always relied heavily on the presence of privateers and pay drivers, so it very well could be what starts the decline of that category.
I think that the most backward you put the pillars, the more drag they generate. And they increase the dirty air from the wing.
But I'm not an aero expert, I just wonder why Audi is doing the opposite of every other manufacturer. Is it genius or stupid? We'll see...

I think that the most backward you put the pillars, the more drag they generate. And they increase the dirty air from the wing.
But I'm not an aero expert, I just wonder why Audi is doing the opposite of every other manufacturer. Is it genius or stupid? We'll see...

Why do you think it creates more drag?

I explained exactly why Audi is doing it and why it works; and why we'll see other manufacturers do the same in the future.

There's no "we'll see" involved here, Audi knows what they're doing and they've tested this. It works.

I just wonder why Audi is doing the opposite of every other manufacturer. Is it genius or stupid? We'll see...

Because this car is not built to a fixed technical regulation yet. There are regulaions for bodyparts-overhang like for example in the SP9(GT3) class in VLN. Thats why you see different styles of diveplanes/wingmounts/wings on the GT3 cars there. This wing mount could very well be just a rough concept of what could be since - as i said already - there is no final GT2 technical reglement yet.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%