The New Audi R8 LMS GT2 Revealed

All important points, but you guys are missing the most critical thing.

That banana split tire paint looks ridiculous! Sorry, it had to be said.

It looks weird to put the pillars behind the rear wing. I'm not sure about the aero efficiency

It's a further extrapolation of the swan-neck wing supports. The most important surface of the wing is the underside; that's why the swan neck was derived - it keeps the bottom surface clean for more efficiency. They're not a perfect solution, though; the supports sit in front of the wing and cause some obstruction and turbulence still. Moving the supports to the back mean that the airflow reaching the wing is no longer obstructed, making the wing more efficient. They still create some dirty air flow, the difference now is just that that dirty air is behind the wing, not in front of it.

It's quite smart, really.

As for the car... Stupid name aside, I don't really understand the class. Why would the gentleman driver class have no/fewer aids? Seems like that should be the pro class, and the amateurs get the aids that make the cars easy to drive. I mean they already treat GT3 like bumper cars, it's only going to be worse with something harder to drive. I like where the class is headed in terms of the car spec, I just lament that it'll be all rich nobodies driving them so the racing will be crap.

As far as the Audi itself, I less-than-three roof scoops, so it gets a nod from me. :)

It's a further extrapolation of the swan-neck wing supports. The most important surface of the wing is the underside; that's why the swan neck was derived - it keeps the bottom surface clean for more efficiency. They're not a perfect solution, though; the supports sit in front of the wing and cause some obstruction and turbulence still. Moving the supports to the back mean that the airflow reaching the wing is no longer obstructed, making the wing more efficient. They still create some dirty air flow, the difference now is just that that dirty air is behind the wing, not in front of it.

It's quite smart, really.

As for the car... Stupid name aside, I don't really understand the class. Why would the gentleman driver class have no/fewer aids? Seems like that should be the pro class, and the amateurs get the aids that make the cars easy to drive. I mean they already treat GT3 like bumper cars, it's only going to be worse with something harder to drive. I like where the class is headed in terms of the car spec, I just lament that it'll be all rich nobodies driving them so the racing will be crap.

As far as the Audi itself, I less-than-three roof scoops, so it gets a nod from me. :)
I get what you mean but I think this solution generates more drag and it would be more effective to put the wing as far back as possible.

1qjlso.jpg

I'd rather count Porsche 911/Lamborghini Huracan/Ferrari 488 Cup cars to a GT3.5 class.

I've read somewhere that Stephane Ratel, the boss of ACO, also uses this class as a counterinsurance in case the FIA should merge the GTE and GT3 classes in the future.

The more confusing it is, the fewer peeps will follow. Just ask NASCAR.

So now GT2 will be a "bridge" between GT3 and GT4... I'm really confused now... GT1 on the 90s became GTLM... GT2 on the 90s was what became the now defunct GT1 class (the one with the DBR9, the MC12...), then GT2 was a class for less advanced cars, and GT3 was up for more "street-like" cars (well... ehem....). But now we have GT3, GTE (which is a short of GTE with different specs), GT4... and GT2 will be a class between GT3 and 4... yeah, easy to understand....

My point exactly!

The more confusing it is, the fewer peeps will follow. Just ask NASCAR.

Here we go again with the NASCAR bashing! Look, it's very simple, but I will explain AGAIN.

At the end of each round, the lead car is awarded points proportionate to the weighted average of the cumulative points of places 2 through 6 (inclusive). The lead lapped car gets it's lap back unless a lapped car is in the top 8 of The Chase, in which case the lapped cars reverse order on restart. On even numbered Chase rounds, this is all of course inverted (unless the Charlotte night race happens to fall on an even numbered Chase round, in which case the following TWO races run with the inverted rule set).

The alternative is to go back to the days where this guy won the championship but his last race victory was, like, WEEKS ago. It was awful and an embarrassment to the sport. This is much fairer!

I get what you mean but I think this solution generates more drag and it would be more effective to put the wing as far back as possible.

Well, as Audi knows what they're doing I think we can safely conclude that is not the case.

Why do you think it would generate more drag? The front profile of the car looks exactly the same to the air. This just means the rear wing bottom surface is as clean as possible. As far as putting the wing as far back as possible, I'm sure there's some sort of 'envelope' it must be positioned within. In any case, putting the wing as far back as possible makes the car more pitch sensitive; or, rather, has a greater effect on the pitch of the car as speed increases and that's a bad thing. In an ideal world you'd have all of the downforce centred over top of the wheels, really, but that's not possible.

Regardless of the all the interplay effects, Audi would not have done it if it were worse than what everyone else was running.

GT3's success is pretty much completely down to it being a pay-driver model. There are pro teams, but the category started as a gentleman's cup and the vast majority of the cars are in the hands of amateur drivers. There is the distinct possibility that this GT2 cup could siphon those drivers out of GT3, reducing the ranks there. Which isn't really a bad thing, necessarily, if GT3 is being reshaped as an all-pro category. But sports car racing has always relied heavily on the presence of privateers and pay drivers, so it very well could be what starts the decline of that category.

At the end of each round, the lead car is awarded points proportionate to the weighted average of the cumulative points of places 2 through 6 (inclusive). The lead lapped car gets it's lap back unless a lapped car is in the top 8 of The Chase, in which case the lapped cars reverse order on restart. On even numbered Chase rounds, this is all of course inverted (unless the Charlotte night race happens to fall on an even numbered Chase round, in which case the following TWO races run with the inverted rule set).

The alternative is to go back to the days where this guy won the championship but his last race victory was, like, WEEKS ago. It was awful and an embarrassment to the sport. This is much fairer!
:O_o:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back