The never ending Intel vs. AMD discussion

I think it is a pretty humorous hiccup:ooh:

AMD Executive Vice President Henri Richard said:
In 2004, AMD Executive Vice President Henri Richard, the company's highest ranking sales executive, declared internally that \\\"If you look at it, with an objective set of eyes, you would never buy AMD. I certainly would never buy AMD for a personal system if I wasn't working here.\\\"

Mr. Richard described AMD as \\\"pathetic\\\" for \\\"selling processors rather than platforms [as Intel did] and exposing a partial story, particularly in the commercial segment, that is clearly inferior to Intel's, if we want to be honest with ourselves.\\\" He added that AMD is saddled with a reputation that \\\"we're cheap, less reliable, lower quality consumer type product.\\\"

The whole thing is at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/14/henri_richard/

Always be careful for what you say in public. :veryhappy:

I have fond memories of some great AMD cpu's in my system. I had a 386/40 that was great, owned 3 Athlons T-Bird, T-bred and a Barton...all great performers for the money.

It's been a while since they've hit a homerun and been the performance king. Their CPU's are still good, but when I upgrade from my core2-duo it's going to be an i7 unless AMD has something up their sleeve...

Oh well at least ATI is kicking booty for them right now with the 5xxx's

My first CPU was a 386SX-33 followed by IIRC a 486DX2 and then I moved to AMD when the K5 came out, I've been an AMD fan until last December when I jumped ship and went back to Intel with an i7 setup. I don't think AMD can compete with Intel's current line up and I don't think that will change until at least 2011. I also wonder if AMD wouldn't be really struggling were it not for the fact that ATi\AMD has had the DX11 market to itself for several months and of course the $1.25 billion Anti-Trust settlement helped. nVidia will be releasing DX11 kit at the end of Q1 so that is gonna hit AMD's revenue.

My first (IBM compatible) PC was a 386SX-33 as well. After that I had a number of Intel Pentuim and Celeron based PC's before buying a cheap used Duron 650 based system. Ever since then I have had nothing but AMD processors, namely due to price. Honestly, I don't think it is a fair statement to say that AMD can't compete with Intel at present time. While it is fact that Intel's processors out perform AMD's offerings, the Phenom X4 does offer great value. I have been running a Phenom X4 for a while now and I am very pleased with its performance. I run nearly all games at max settings without any issues, despite the fact that I am still using an old Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic. So, while I would love an i7, I honestly can't justify the difference in cost, when my Phenom X4 manages everything I need it for just fine, with resources to spare. It's kind of like comparing my WRX to a Corvette. Sure, a Vette would be great, but my WRX isn't that much slower and at a fraction of the cost.

My first (IBM compatible) PC was a 386SX-33 as well. After that I had a number of Intel Pentuim and Celeron based PC's before buying a cheap used Duron 650 based system. Ever since then I have had nothing but AMD processors, namely due to price. Honestly, I don't think it is a fair statement to say that AMD can't compete with Intel at present time. While it is fact that Intel's processors out perform AMD's offerings, the Phenom X4 does offer great value. I have been running a Phenom X4 for a while now and I am very pleased with its performance. I run nearly all games at max settings without any issues, despite the fact that I am still using an old Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic. So, while I would love an i7, I honestly can't justify the difference in cost, when my Phenom X4 manages everything I need it for just fine, with resources to spare. It's kind of like comparing my WRX to a Corvette. Sure, a Vette would be great, but my WRX isn't that much slower and at a fraction of the cost.
There is always the i5 and the i3. An i5 is pretty much an i7 except it only supports dual memory channel. Those are not my words, but ones from an AMD top executive who left the company 3 years after making that statement.

At the moment AMD has nothing to compete with Intel. Sure it might be enough for your needs, but it is like saying I am happy to bike to work in the snow every day. I mean it works. Who needs an expensive car :)

You also have to consider longevity and upgradeability. Socket F is very old now and is due to be replaced by G34\C32 later this year where as with i3, 5 & 7 (1366\1156) you're already sorted for the next 3-5 years.

yugo-gv_brochure_90.jpg

Tuut tuut!!

Sorry for the OT, but the Yugo rocks as it's pure cult! :)

Ontopic: as far as i know i have always used Intel the last 10 years. Never tried AMD so can't say anything positive or negative about it :)

I have only ever had 1 Intel cpu a 200mhz mmx chip, my first pc was an AMD 5x86 133mhz and I have had AMD ever since, last week I bought a Phenom II 965 BE and I love it, stuff Intel if it wasnt for AMD we would be using pentium 2s that cost 2000 dollars :D

I have only ever had 1 Intel cpu a 200mhz mmx chip, my first pc was an AMD 5x86 133mhz and I have had AMD ever since, last week I bought a Phenom II 965 BE and I love it, stuff Intel if it wasnt for AMD we would be using pentium 2s that cost 2000 dollars :D

Not sure if that is completely true they would be $1000 only :), but I agree competition is always good for consumers.

At the moment AMD has nothing to compete with Intel. Sure it might be enough for your needs, but it is like saying I am happy to bike to work in the snow every day. I mean it works. Who needs an expensive car :)
If you read my analogy, I compare the Phenom to a fast car and the i7 to a super fast car. :)

I stand by my Phenom and love it. It is a quick little bugger and being a black edition, has room to grow as needed. So far I really haven't had a need to overclock.

If you read my analogy, I compare the Phenom to a fast car and the i7 to a super fast car. :)

I stand by my Phenom and love it. It is a quick little bugger and being a black edition, has room to grow as needed. So far I really haven't had a need to overclock.

I have mine at 3.7ghz up from the stock 3.4ghz, a modest overclock using the stock heatsink and fan, I may go for a corsair h50 the all in one liquid cooler and try for 4ghz.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-002-CS corsair H50

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing