Cars The Need For Speed

I don't want to be greedy or anything, what you have here is a massive undertaking and I really don't want to sound like I don't appreciate it. Because it's awesome and TNFS is the best of the series.

But IMO NFS2 had one of the greatest street car rosters of all time, any distant chance you will be inspired to make them in the future ? Or at least the Isdera :)

NFS2 has some really interesting cars, some of them we didn't get to see in any other game like the Isdera or the Italdesign Cala. For now I don't want to get too ahead of my since I already got a lot of things in my hands (working with RSS as well), so one step at a time :)

One nice thing about the NFS roster, aside from the fact that it's loaded with the supercar classics of our high school days, is that it's only 8 cars long. And 2 of them are already part of AC... and another one has an existing AAA-quality mod to lean on. So we "only" have to do 5 cars. :unsure:

Still a pretty massive undertaking, considering what's required to do a proper "OEM quality" car mod in Assetto Corsa.

One nice thing about the NFS roster, aside from the fact that it's loaded with the supercar classics of our high school days, is that it's only 8 cars long. And 2 of them are already part of AC... and another one has an existing AAA-quality mod to lean on. So we "only" have to do 5 cars. :unsure:

Still a pretty massive undertaking, considering what's required to do a proper "OEM quality" car mod in Assetto Corsa.

WHOA hold on there old man. Not all of us are THAT old!

Early WIP on the Diablo, getting started setting up the base mesh to work on, checking proportions with real pics.

earlywip00.jpg

I couldn't have done it without the help of these great blueprints I've found online :)

SNES - Test Drive 2 The Duel - Lamborghini Diablo.png

Just got the placeholder Vette model in so we'll have it soon on that rooster :)

Yes the Diablo is such a sexy car, I have a crush on it since it came out, so it's a pleasure to work with such perfect design.
Still on the early stage of defining the overall volume of the car, sometimes it's not easy to set up the cameras when there's some lens distortion.

earlywip01.jpg

It's going to be tricky to match those panels imperfections, but it's those details that make the car come alive :)

Way-too-early indications are that the Corvette is a bit slower than the Viper, if it's between that and the RX7 we're really in business. Obviously every track gives slightly different results, but the finishing order is pretty consistent for me so far. The only difference between these "classes" and the NFS originals is the swap of the 993 and RX7. I'm OK with that.

Way-too-early indications are that the Corvette is a bit slower than the Viper, if it's between that and the RX7 we're really in business. Obviously every track gives slightly different results, but the finishing order is pretty consistent for me so far. The only difference between these "classes" and the NFS originals is the swap of the 993 and RX7. I'm OK with that.
so you already got baseline physics running for all for the cars? What sources do you use to get all the different chassis and suspensions right?

Actually it's more than just baseline physics, but it's not as impressive as you might be thinking. I've had the 512 going for a year and a half. The Diablo at least 6 months. And the 993 was ~75% done last year when I set it aside after the Porsche license announcement. (That one was a Turbo, but working backwards to a C2 wasn't so tough.)

As for sources, nothing unusual. Ferrari and Lamborghini were kind enough to put very nice drawings of the suspension in their service manuals. I have accounts at relevant fora (FerrariChat, Lambopower, et al) which I've combed thoroughly for data. Both of them are among the cars for which I have had the most complete data set.

The 993 is also pretty well covered online. Porsche owners are by and large a pretty technical bunch, so there's plenty of good data out there. Lots of useful threads at Rennlist - much like my WRX, a lot of contributions came from the autocross crowd. They're an analyzing bunch. Many charts.

The Viper is currently on a provisional suspension geometry pending better data if possible, but the measurables are solid. I may take a chance and order a service manual... haven't had luck finding one online. I doubt I'll be able to find an owner to measure for us. :)

As for the RX7, the Spirit R is 7 or 8 years newer than the rest and it's not really the right car. Ideally we'd have the base model. But it looks like it will work nicely in class 2. Dan tells me that the 993 was always a bit slow in the original game, so maybe it's always belonged in class 3 anyway. A perfect swap. ;)

Yep the RX7 is the only one that'll give us trouble. Not worth making another model since the one we have is already good, and cannot be "legally" modified and released so we'll just have to live with it.

In the meantime, paneling work done on the Diablo, all camera matched with real pics.

earlywip02.jpg

The mesh is ready to start working on details, which I did on some parts already just to make sure the polygon flow was accurate to the shape. Did some lighting testing too:

screenshot024.jpg
screenshot025.jpg

There are some bodywork differences between the two so we'd just be trading incorrect physics for incorrect visuals, I'm afraid. And the class balance seems to work out better like this anyway - 2/3/3 rather than 2/2/4.

Fair. Back in the day I remember I almost never picked the Porsche regarding times, and the game didn't seem that balanced anyway. On some tracks the Viper was quite faster than the other two, and the NSX had a big advantage over its class in the City point to point sections due to higher top speed. Even if I had NFS SE on PC, I played a lot of NFS on a friend's PSX in split screen -- racing in traffic was really fun (we could swear pink Probes attracted wrecks). Vertigo Ridge Diablo vs 512TR was a favorite.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back