Cars The Need For Speed

Hi, originally, I only used the keyboard to play TNFS/TNFS:SE (1995-1997). Then I started using my $20 joystick. That is what I set the 171 WRs with by March 1999. Then I bought the Logitech Wingman Formula Force wheel/pedals and set many WRs with that. Then I even set a WR with the keyboard. And finally, I set a WR with the mouse. So, 4 different ways in total... :) I don't play TNFS/TNFS:SE anymore but I love it beyond words. There used to be the ASWRS website that showed all the WRs. Originally, there was a table with all the different WR holders. Then the table only contained one name (my old nickname). My favourite car is EASILY the Supra. It had the lowest top speed but the best handling. Of the 19 different track WRs, it held 4 despite being DRASTICALLY less powerful than the Diablo (12), Viper (2), and 512TR (1) that held the other 15 WRs. Without the bloody artificial speed limiter at 155 mph, the Supra would have even more WRs.

Thanks very much for the background. Very interesting. I agree - TNFS was/is very special. I used the keyboard for a while before eventually going for wheels and pedals. I'd play TNFS more regularly if I could get my current wheel, pedal setup to run. However I still get my fix occasionally with the keyboard. I was/am quite fond of the 993.

How lucky was I to come across this wonderful topic with an updated lineup.

To be fair when I did Rusty Springs I was originally thinking along the lines that it is "abandonware" and would be no issue releasing the track. As I looked into it I found there actually is no such thing as abandonware and even though it is old as dirt it still is not legal to do a direct convert and release it here.

However at one point I did have the idea to remake a new model using the original as a simple base for the layout with maybe some tweaks. I just haven't had the time or motivation to work on that project more.

Also as mentioned much of those old layouts are just way too crazy for an actual sim. Rusty Springs was really the only one I found that was believable as an actual track. I did not look at the A to B tracks at that time as they don't interest me.

Mainly copyright issues.

A3DR, thank you for your stunningly detailed models - I've had a 1995 993 for close to 20 years, and just want to say the level of detail you put into this car is AMAZING!
Thanks!! feel free to share your driving impressions, it's always interesting to hear what real drivers have to say about the simulated car ;)

Thanks!! feel free to share your driving impressions, it's always interesting to hear what real drivers have to say about the simulated car ;)
Well it's been at least 10 years since I've driven it on a track, and driving at the limit is so much different than street driving, so I can't comment too much. But the on-throttle understeer as well as the lift-off oversteer are definitely there! The slow-ish steering ratio and body motions are very well done too. The stock suspension surprises most people with its softness for a sports car. I saw a comment above that it's too slow, but they're not all that quick by today's standards...acceleration feels about right to me!

Yeah, it's not easy to translate street-driven car experience to the sim for that very reason. (I've learned this lesson quite well doing the WRX.) I was able to do it back-to-back - take the car out, single out an input, observe a reaction, drive home, jump into AC, repeat... even then it was hard.

Appreciate the feedback, though. I've driven lots of 944 and a 914, but never a 911. A bit flying blind with these. :)

(Cheers again to Porsche, Rennlist and Arch + his research team for all of the data. There sure was a lot of it.)

Hi everyone :)

Just curious - does anyone still play TNFS, but with a wheel & pedals?
If so, how have you made this work without the controls acting like an on/off button?

Cheers

Hi everyone :)

Just curious - does anyone still play TNFS, but with a wheel & pedals?
If so, how have you made this work without the controls acting like an on/off button?

Cheers
I believe the PS1 and Saturn versions support analog wheels(no FFB of course), so you can try those versions. They're pretty much an improved version of the original 3D0 version with a smoother framerate.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back