Cars The Need For Speed

I don't know if it's lighting, but the fog lamps (inner lights, I presume) texture seem improved since the previous screens. A orangish tint was noticeable on the brightest parts of the lower half of it (example).

I don't know if it's lighting, but the fog lamps (inner lights, I presume) texture seem improved since the previous screens. A orangish tint was noticeable on the brightest parts of the lower half of it (example).

Maybe, I did worked on the depth / texturing through the entire process. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure if in the US spec those are meant to be fog lights, or brake lights... damn, too many mods out there.
Screenshot_6.jpg

What a headache. On this page conversion instructions, the original car didn't seem to even include a socket for fog lamps on that spot, neither the button to operate them on the interior (link), pic 3,4. ITT, that 964 US rear light cluster also has dummy fog light without a socket link
The extra brake lights might be another sort of conversion kit (I've seen one listed in Norway, from fog to brake lights). In NO there's a chance they don't need to follow the EU fog lamp regulations on their euro spec models.

Last edited:
What a headache. On this page conversion instructions, the original car didn't seem to even include a socket for fog lamps on that spot, neither the button to operate them on the interior (link), pic 3,4. ITT, that 964 US rear light cluster also has dummy fog light without a socket link
The extra brake lights might be another sort of conversion kit (I've seen one listed in Norway, from fog to brake lights). In NO there's a chance they don't need to follow the EU fog lamp regulations on their euro spec models.
It can be a pain in the rear to figure out regulation stuff like this. I'm going with the user manual, probably euro spec but I'll stick with the combined side / brake light just in case.
Screenshot_8.jpg

The only 993 workshop manual I've found was exactly missing the #96 headlights section. The "genuine" part this US seller has, at least on the picture, has no wiring on those inner lights (link). If someone finds a US user manual, that would clear it.

Last edited:
That sounds marvellous. I've only been using RTB though. I'm willing a try it out.
Take a look. All 9 non-circuit tracks from NFS1 in OBJ format.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZE7FXcXr3n82dWk9CdZZA5QMb-HnJ_5t/view?usp=sharing
Note that all tracks is WIP, especially 3D objects and it's textures. al1 means Alpine track, 1st segment, cy1 - City, cl1 - Coastal. All tracks have corrupted last block, just delete some polys and everything will be fine!
How to use: import all obj files from specific folder to blender and setup sun lighting.
Virtrdobj.obj - virtual road for the engine (not visible in the game)
Horizon.obj - simple skybox, only for fun.
Fence.obj - All fences in track.
Objects.obj - All flat and two-sided objects.
Scenery.obj - All surroundings.
Object3D - WIP tunnels, lighthouse in cl3 track and so on.

I'm also working on extracing 3DO version tracks.

Take a look. All 9 non-circuit tracks from NFS1 in OBJ format.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZE7FXcXr3n82dWk9CdZZA5QMb-HnJ_5t/view?usp=sharing
Note that all tracks is WIP, especially 3D objects and it's textures. al1 means Alpine track, 1st segment, cy1 - City, cl1 - Coastal. All tracks have corrupted last block, just delete some polys and everything will be fine!
How to use: import all obj files from specific folder to blender and setup sun lighting.
Virtrdobj.obj - virtual road for the engine (not visible in the game)
Horizon.obj - simple skybox, only for fun.
Fence.obj - All fences in track.
Objects.obj - All flat and two-sided objects.
Scenery.obj - All surroundings.
Object3D - WIP tunnels, lighthouse in cl3 track and so on.

I'm also working on extracing 3DO version tracks.

Mate this is awesome. And I even didn't play that NFS in particular.

The problem with the other tracks wasn't the challenge of ripping them, that bit's easy. The challenge is that the layouts are completely wonky and wouldn't work in a sim thanks to completely untenable elevations and cambers, among other things.

Either way, I'd be perfectly happy to keep the track ripping lovefest out of this thread.

I'd much rather see current tracks used as replacements. Black Cat for Rusty Springs, LA Canyons for one of point to point circuits, the up and coming and brilliant Fonteny by Fat Alfie as a country road circuit or even Highlands.

We have plenty of tracks to act as more realistic and appropriate replacements than anything from the original NFS game. That's my .2 cents, don't spend it all in one place :roflmao::laugh:

To be fair when I did Rusty Springs I was originally thinking along the lines that it is "abandonware" and would be no issue releasing the track. As I looked into it I found there actually is no such thing as abandonware and even though it is old as dirt it still is not legal to do a direct convert and release it here.

However at one point I did have the idea to remake a new model using the original as a simple base for the layout with maybe some tweaks. I just haven't had the time or motivation to work on that project more.

Also as mentioned much of those old layouts are just way too crazy for an actual sim. Rusty Springs was really the only one I found that was believable as an actual track. I did not look at the A to B tracks at that time as they don't interest me.

Way too crazy indeed! The highway circuits are incredibly boring by modern driving game standards. Perhaps barely a few notches above Atari Pole Position standards. :roflmao:
They would become a challenge once there is some traffic on the road.
Also, one could create a scratch-made version based on these tracks, but change the layout or elevation changes a bit to make it more drivable.

To be fair when I did Rusty Springs I was originally thinking along the lines that it is "abandonware" and would be no issue releasing the track. As I looked into it I found there actually is no such thing as abandonware and even though it is old as dirt it still is not legal to do a direct convert and release it here.
I'd imagine the only situation where abandonware can exist legally is when nobody can prove they own the rights to it simply because it is so old. Any game sold more than 20 years ago has been sold and bought, have had its studio and publisher bought and sold so many times that in some cases it impossible to even figure it out who owns it.

Need for speed is pretty clear cut case tho. It is still an active franchise and both its developer and publisher are very much alive.

Also as mentioned much of those old layouts are just way too crazy for an actual sim. Rusty Springs was really the only one I found that was believable as an actual track. I did not look at the A to B tracks at that time as they don't interest me.
The jumps and road transitions are generally the big issue. I did a little bit of one of the nfs3 tracks from scratch and basically every hill is big enough to get the car airborne in ac. So a lot of places would need to be manually adjusted because it is really really difficult to consistently land those 2 meter+ jumps. In the end they are just fantasy tracks though and the way I see it it is better to spend that time making something else than to make a track from other game. For for a-b tracks there are actual real roads that could be cool to drive with lidar data available.

Do you think that the brake light could be "warmer" red? Like on my Corvette... or am I doing things wrong? :)
I wouldn't say you're doing something wrong, but sure looks different than the rest of the cars. I've went with the Supra as an example and took the values from there to keep all my cars consistent with each other on rear lighting.
Showroom_ks_toyota_supra_mkiv_1-9-2019-4-15-8.jpg

About the official tracks, would be cool to have at least one with the crazy elevation changes to see what happens, that might be fun or stupid, who knows. Might not be worth the effort, I guess that's the main issue here.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back