The Mustang Inspires an Electric SUV

ford.jpg

Detroit wants to amaze with their new plans for future 'green' vehicles.

Merging the platform of the Explorer with the lines of the Mustang, Ford is looking to make a rather spectacular entry into the Electric Drives Market.

Having been left somewhat behind in this segment now teeming with new models and carmakers looking to get their slice before anyone else does, Ford has now made an investment of 11 billion dollars to quickly make up lost ground. This will translate, according to the company's projects, into 16 new Electric Vehicles within 2022.

"Electric vehicle customers are buying into the future and our team is 100 percent focused on not only delivering vehicles they will love, but providing an entire electric vehicle ecosystem that works flawlessly," said Darren Palmer, Ford Team Edison Global Product Development Director. "As my team and I have quickly found out, the new generation of electric vehicles is just as exciting — only different. Different can be good. Very good."

About the development of the new EVs line, he added:
"I’ve kept one of our first prototypes of the infotainment system for one of our new electric vehicles. It’s literally cardboard, with a piece of a plastic cup stuck to it with tape. What I’m trying to demonstrate is that innovation does not have to be expensive. It has to be smart."

It should be noted in fact that the Edison group is embracing a new 'cross-functional, no stripes' mentality, which means that projects and ideas might come as ('low-fidelity') prototypes and be put almost immediately to the test thanks to a fast paced program looking for results, rather than show.

About the Mustang inspired SUV, what is only known now is that it is set to have a range of about 300 miles (483 km) per single charge, and that it will come around 2020.

The project codename, 'Mach 1', which was the name of a '68 classic Mustang model, has been abandoned after mass rioting from hardcore petrolhead fanatics. Jim Farley, Ford’s President of Global Markets, stated on the subject:
“We put that out there to evaluate it. There are pros and cons. I don’t want to handicap it at this point, but we got a very strong reaction from people.”

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Why do people on this website hate electric vehicles?
Easy. They are not sustainable. They sell to you that they are very clean and such, but both the manufacturing process and the scrapping process are very unsustainable and ecological. In addition, I do not think it is very efficient to force all cars to change for electric, and more working well. In summary, neoliberalism. He is able to sell you anything, even if they do not agree, to get money.

The system is based on the fact that ..'its old ... just throw it away .. buy a NEW one . Don't make mainstream quality , make it bust in a few years after warranty . Why ?? Prophet and Control .. mainly control :devilish:

the idea of clean electric vehicles is more than a bit misleading
the electricity to charge the battery in an electric vehicle is produced by burning coal, unless you have your own wind or solar grid, so they are "clean" where you drive them, but exceptionally toxic to the people who live near the coal plants that charge them,

I have a question, and not trying to start a petrolhead/electric brigade war...but if not electric, then what?

I’m all for solar-powered cars, but I don’t know how far along the tech is for a long range, affordable model to be a near-future possibility. Also, has it been proven that the amount of harmful coal emissions given off to fully charge 1 EV is equal to or greater than the amount of harmful emissions the average ICE powered car gives off over a full tank of gas?

I know there are other issues like battery production and ICE’s are getting better at cleaner emissions, and I don’t think EV is the single solution to slowing down pollution/climate change, but rather one evolving step of many more towards that goal. Getting homes, most businesses and refill stations to be self sustaining through solar, wind and hydro power would be some of the next steps I’d imagine...but shooting down one solution because it doesn’t solve every problem is counter-productive.

Don’t flame me for this, but this feels almost like the “halo sucks because it doesn’t shield against every possible accident” debate...but let’s not go there :whistling:

When consumers cause less than 14% of pollution, yet strict action is taken, meanwhile it puts more load on our coal burning plants, which contribute to the rest of the 86% of pollution caused by electricity generation. People aren't driving 24/7, but electricity is being generated 24/7.

Natural gasses would be far more effective at curbing pollution.

the range of an electric vehicle is far less than the range of a tank of fuel, so the amount of pollution per mile is less with ICE, and if you replace "average" with "efficient" an internal combustion engine vehicle just widens the gap,
I don't dislike EV, but people think they are clean because they don't see the pollution, out of sight, out of mind, Hmmm I wonder how bad my sim car is wrecking the environment?

Oil is dead money...
Electric cars are only dirty when you use electric grid power comes from power stations

If you buy solar panels, battery storage and an electric car they will have to pay you ! lol ......
and where is the pollution ?

Solar manufacture is more environmentally clean then building gas stations

Why do people on this website hate electric vehicles?

Because it threatens their sensibilities

P.S. Look at Formula-E next year the cars are faster and go race distance, they will just keep getting faster with less battery besides being the cutting edge of development for road cars

Good promo idea for Formula-E: Get investment for a new solar farm and charge all the batteries there and spare batteries also charged by solar would top up race batteries at track not from local power grid

Last edited:
the range of an electric vehicle is far less than the range of a tank of fuel, so the amount of pollution per mile is less with ICE, and if you replace "average" with "efficient" an internal combustion engine vehicle just widens the gap,
I don't dislike EV, but people think they are clean because they don't see the pollution, out of sight, out of mind, Hmmm I wonder how bad my sim car is wrecking the environment?

Not true, you'd need an exceptionally dirty grid for an EV to pollute more than a comparable ICE car. There aren't many places on Earth where what you said would be true.

THAT is my point, the electric power grid in the US is extremely dirty, as majority of electricity is produced by burning coal, and burning coal is much dirtier than burning gasoline, it is going to take a while before wind, solar, and other clean sources of electricity are able to make a dent in the amount of coal burned to feed the power grid, hopefully by that time we will have EV's with decent range, I would LOVE a cheap clean mode of travel, that doesn't require imitating a sardine in a can

the idea of clean electric vehicles is more than a bit misleading
the electricity to charge the battery in an electric vehicle is produced by burning coal, unless you have your own wind or solar grid, so they are "clean" where you drive them, but exceptionally toxic to the people who live near the coal plants that charge them,

Depends on where you live and what the country’s energy production is like.

THAT is my point, the electric power grid in the US is extremely dirty, as majority of electricity is produced by burning coal, and burning coal is much dirtier than burning gasoline, it is going to take a while before wind, solar, and other clean sources of electricity are able to make a dent in the amount of coal burned to feed the power grid, hopefully by that time we will have EV's with decent range, I would LOVE a cheap clean mode of travel, that doesn't require imitating a sardine in a can

Even in the US are EVs much less polluting than their ICE counterparts. Range? I'd argue that even today the range of EVs is at a point of being excessive. Not many people need to go 500km+ (300miles) in one go and those who do can just charge their car in a matter of minutes. Half an hour spent charging is hardly an issue when travelling such a distance. Most people drive so little they could get by with charging their car just once a week. The only place where I can see electric cars benefiting from having even more range are some racing series. While it may be a few more years before we see an EV on the grid of LeMans, in many forms of racing like hillclimbs, drag racing or WRX the range is more than sufficient. Some EVs are even completing stages many would thought impossible, such as the Dakar rally.

btw electric cars tend to be much roomier due to longer wheelbases and the lack of necessity for a big engine bay.

Easy. They are not sustainable. They sell to you that they are very clean and such, but both the manufacturing process and the scrapping process are very unsustainable and ecological. In addition, I do not think it is very efficient to force all cars to change for electric, and more working well. In summary, neoliberalism. He is able to sell you anything, even if they do not agree, to get money.

But its nothing really to do with that...... what it really is, is.......

"but it doesn't go Brumm Brumm....."

Why do people on this website ask questions without any reason for it? Your post was the first one in here without any prior negative comments about electric vehicles. This is the best example I have ever seen of putting the cart before the horse.

Now if only we'd stopped at the cart and the horse....then we'd not be in this mess....apart from obviously loads of mess on the roads....

Oh, that quite unexpect: i never know that Ford will ever enter in the electric cars market. They were the few ones wich doesn't have any electric veichle.
What's really bad it's that is another futil SUV.

exactly. Plus when we start build idrodynamic/solar/eolic power plants, the same guys what want alternative green energy start whining that they ruin environment and disturd animals.
Not all countries have proper/enough alternative energy station for those cars. (in Italy the average recharge time is 3-4 hours)
The actual cost of those cars are much higher than a normal fuel one. And i don't know why, but most of electric cars are incredible ugly.
Marchionne when he launch the electric 500 says that was a complete failure, since production cost were higher than sells thanks to Californian laws.
the only true green energy will be the artificial chlorophyll photosynthesis, wich it's only at its embrional state.

Look at Formula-E next year the cars are faster and go race distance, they will just keep getting faster with less battery besides being the cutting edge of development for road cars

Good promo idea for Formula-E: Get investment for a new solar farm and charge all the batteries there and spare batteries also charged by solar would top up race batteries at track not from local power grid

the same champioship that declares the wi-fii refuel for its electric car at its first year? :roflmao:the same champioship that says they want have more like Mario kart races? :roflmao:
the same champioship that closed after its first year its junior formula wich was more efficient and made by university students?
com'on it's just a showcase sponsored by FIA. They're pretty far away from what they could be. When they'll be able to run in a full circuit and leave fanboost, we could consider it like a racing championship. For now it's just a showcase with a good smoke seller.

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg

is that the one ?
or this more tamed proxy.duckduckgo.jpgproxy.duckduckgo.jpg
doesn't look anything like a mustang isn't it ?

But hey, could have been worse
93ford_mustang_mach3_1.jpg

(was there in need for speed 2 i think)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 334 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 225 10.4%