The most realistic sim I have ever played came free with a pack of cereal...

I'm not kidding. Not only did a full version of an F1 simulator come free with a packet of Frosties in 2003 but it is still the most realistic Sim I have ever played...
You know Vern,:geek: on second thought...
it's a little bit funny that you have started this thread, regarding you
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/whats-this-about.148589/
(with you in main role, as a thread starter!)

consider "Live for Speed" game as terribly out of date [sic] and that there doesn't seem to be much content for it [sic, again] so wondering, if you feel that way about (one quite legendary game imho) LFS, how you don't find this one even more out of date and with even less content for us, spoiled Project Cars 1 & 2 brats generation to offer. Just sayin... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :x3:
You dig on these... "out of date" and "minimalism content" type of games ...now, what ? :D

Last edited:
The world must have been really different back in '03. Shipping a CD with each cereal package would be unthinkable today. But this thing really surprised me, you don't expect little games like this to be worth the waste of money and time. It even has features I really want to see in the future AC2.

It's good momet for discusion on it. We now can look back what many calls "Arcade" becouse phsics, but no one see how many realism options old game have. For second example - Networ Q rally championchip - difficulty to todays best rally sim Dirt Rally is like titanic and his ice nemesis. But we all know - if DR is so difficult and realistic like NQ Rally was nobady want to play, ok olmost nobody, and that's the point. Developers and publishers exsist for and becouse the money, no beacouse they wanna give us best what they can doo :) Beacouse I think, they can but is no need.

You know Vern,:geek: on second thought...
it's a little bit funny that you have started this thread, regarding you
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/whats-this-about.148589/
(with you in main role, as a thread starter!)

condider "Live for Speed" game as terribly out of date [sic] and that there doesn't seem to be much content for it [sic, again] so wondering, if you feel that way about (one quite legendary game imho) LFS, how you don't find this one even more out of date and with even less content for us, spoiled Project Cars 1 & 2 brats generation to offer. Just sayin... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :x3:
You dig on these... "out of date" and "minimalistic content" type of games ...now, what ? :D
Hi Gamer19,

I wasn't very clear in that post reading back. I wasn't hating on LFS. I have played almost everything but I have never tried LFS.

On my pursuit to find my perfect SIM I was asking the question if I had missed something with LFS as it seemed like it wasn't being supported by the developer anymore yet some people swear by it.

Does that make sense?

my guess is , since the physics was simple and had big limitations, there were enough time to add these additional details to the game,

but now that games are super complex, people are not ok with simple physics for drying out line, or how the off track debris affect tires, .. so lot of these featueres are being omitted, because to do them right takes a lot of time, and that time goes into cars and tire physics

The world must have been really different back in '03. Shipping a CD with each cereal package would be unthinkable today. But this thing really surprised me, you don't expect little games like this to be worth the waste of money and time. It even has features I really want to see in the future AC2.

Racing Simulation 2 from Ubisoft was released back in 1998 and re-released in 2002 and it was available for the PC, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast and Playstation so i wouldn't say its a little game ;) Got my copy on playstation and dreamcast since the covers were different at that time and i bought it twice haha.

my guess is , since the physics was simple and had big limitations, there were enough time to add these additional details to the game,

but now that games are super complex, people are not ok with simple physics for drying out line, or how the off track debris affect tires, .. so lot of these featueres are being omitted, because to do them right takes a lot of time, and that time goes into cars and tire physics
I think the numbers nowadays prove this wrong. If people really cared they wouldn't jump in masses into sims released without stuff like brake temperature, or tire pressure, or something that is at release less advanced than rFactor 1 that was released a decade before
In the end people just want a feature to be in the game, how it works under the hood is not important for most people as long as the result is convincing and you market it right, and that opens door for stuff to be done on physics side in more simple ways.
Having things done in a more complex way seems more like a dev choice than a market necessity, I mean even real life teams (that dont use super expensive simulators) still prefer to use rF1

I think we are talking about a "rebranded" version of Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2 developed by UbiSoft back in 1997... Very good and funny game for those days. No official F1 license and fake names for teams and drivers... I remember Team One as the McLaren and Team 3 the Ferrari...

I see the Wiki article also says this. But I could swear that my N64 copy is from the 98 season (with fake names). It cannot be the 97 season, but for the 98 season everything fits. Mind you, the N64 version also had proper teamnames as well, not just "team 1" etc.

I love these threads that show a blast from the past of PC sim racing. Good stuff. I have every racing sim ever made on the PC either in their boxes in the loft or on my hard drive and steam.
My all time favourite is always Crammonds GP4 though.

I love these threads that show a blast from the past of PC sim racing. Good stuff. I have every racing sim ever made on the PC either in their boxes in the loft or on my hard drive and steam.
Man gp4 is still my favourite of all time. Closely followed by rf2

What's the one to the left of Grand Prix Legends? I could do a photo of my collection but it'd need more than one, as I have a huge cupboard full 2 layers deep!

That’s an F1 Mod cd for rfactor 1 , couldn’t download it at the time but a few wiz kids made cd copy’s and sold it on line around 2 Euro :) and that’s picture is a lot bigger today , all stored in the attic, I could do another photo but Dammed if I’m looking for them now , my get up and go has gone up and went :)

For it's time Grand Prix 2 was a bigger bang !

What an amazing graphic! :inlove:
gp2.png

For it's time, mind you. :geek:

I think the numbers nowadays prove this wrong. If people really cared they wouldn't jump in masses into sims released without stuff like brake temperature, or tire pressure, or something that is at release less advanced than rFactor 1 that was released a decade before
In the end people just want a feature to be in the game, how it works under the hood is not important for most people as long as the result is convincing and you market it right, and that opens door for stuff to be done on physics side in more simple ways.
Having things done in a more complex way seems more like a dev choice than a market necessity, I mean even real life teams (that dont use super expensive simulators) still prefer to use rF1
I think you are missing the point

first of all, talking about masses of people jumping into sims, can't really be that serious, since the overall numbers of people in something like pCARS, AC, RF2, is nowhere near to something like Forza & Gran Turismo

sure, how the feature works ( how realistic it is ) is purely to the dev, but if you don't have time at all, then it's better to leave out feature entirely, then adding it there just so that you can say that it's there ( like weather in AC for example ... )

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.3%