The Mist

Misc The Mist 1.3b

Login or Register an account to download this content
Zink submitted a new resource:

The Mist (Smoke Mod incl. grass/dust, pieces and new texture) - alternative smoke

So, the intention behind this is to have more smoke present mainly for accidents or for drifters, or movie clips, or whatever you find it useful for. I think it adds a lot of immersion. But the possibilities are very limited. Besides the fact that smoke creation is not dependent on heat, but slip, which means a lot of restriction in terms of versatility and realism, there are still a few functions missing that could create a better or more universal result. But it's not available, so i made...

Read more about this resource...

Which tyre_smoke_grass.ini do i install?
First you got to download the version 1.0 from Version History or by clicking this Download link.
Then you have to download the update and replace the old tyre_smoke_grass.ini that you find in the Universal files for grass, pieces and the texture folder with the new one in the same folder.

Files in default folder are just a backup of the original files if you want to restore them.

A bit tricky, actually… better uploading a fully updated version rather than just the updated files.

Zink updated The Mist with a new update entry:

Complete v1.1

For those that ran the 1.0, the Accident config is now gone due to the changes i did to the Drift config as that was just way too long, so the Accident one became redundant. Lock up and Start are now separate, with the Start version being primarily shorter (smoke duration). The Lock-up, is to me, the most realistic for racing, although at starts, it may look a bit too much, but compromises have to be done either way. There is no perfect config for all situations. If there was at least 2...

Read the rest of this update entry...

better uploading a fully updated version rather than just the updated files.
Oh, hi, yeah, my bad xD
I'm relatively new to RD, or merely uploading. In hindsight, it became clear to me. And thanks for answering him. I've never looked in here before.

Sorry about those inconveniences

Oh, hi, yeah, my bad xD
I'm relatively new to RD, or merely uploading. In hindsight, it became clear to me. And thanks for answering him. I've never looked in here before.

Sorry about those inconveniences

No problem at all.
Thanks for this mod, i'm a happy user. ;)

Zink updated The Mist with a new update entry:

small update for pp-filter users

It has been brought to my attention that pp-filters might have a significant effect on opacity and color. I've now created two folders; one to use with pp-filters, which are adjusted in brightness and density/opacity, and one folder to be used without pp-filters, which is basically the untouched original v1.1.
If anyone has questions, feel free to ask in the 'support' thread.

Read the rest of this update entry...

With the previous version, grass smoke is black for me, too. Will check this last version asap.
At first sight i thought "omg! Engine black smoke over there?" :D

With the previous version, grass smoke is black for me, too. Will check this last version asap.
At first sight i thought "omg! Engine black smoke over there?" :D
I don't understand that. That is virtually impossible with the config files in this pack. The color is defined by the color_base values and those would have to be very low to turn out black. I've used the 1.1 version to adjust for pp-filters (which means i've loaded it up like a million times) as it makes it darker than in my preview pics, but nowhere near black.

I don't understand that. That is virtually impossible with the config files in this pack. The color is defined by the color_base values and those would have to be very low to turn out black. I've used the 1.1 version to adjust for pp-filters (which means i've loaded it up like a million times) as it makes it darker than in my preview pics, but nowhere near black.

Maybe because i'm running sli. Or maybe because i lowered the exposure due to the extra brightness issue. I don't know… I'll try with default values to see what happens.

Hi, i've got same issue, first versions worked fine, then one of your updates seems to have made it black for me (PP on)

Tried all the latest versions including 1.1b and tried with default texture, still same black / dark smoke

Screenshot_porsche_991_carrera_gts_driftplayground_25-1-116-21-17-46.jpg

Edit: Also, the grass is even darker, like black black engine smoke.

I believe you, but i'm sorry, i have no idea what could cause this. It doesn't make sense as i've never even touched the color values before 1.1b and no other parameter has an effect on it (except for emissive blend which creates sorts of a horizontal gradient)
How does it look when you start without pp (regardless of which config as it would be at most brown for the grass)?

PS: and as i understand, v1.0, which can still be downloaded from the history, does work?

Last edited:
Very strange, actually.
Initially thought the texture transparency was the problem… but it's not apparently.
Maybe this could help you: removing pieces_grass and tyre_grass (or whatever are called) gives you "the right" cyan smoke. But it remains the same when you go on grass. I didn't try to isolate one file at a time, but the problem should reside in one of these files.

This would be up to you, as I can't reproduce it, cause this literally never happened ever on my machine. Does 1.0 work for you, pikaman?

Last edited:
Ok, found the culprit !!

Pikaman, Dave, or anyone who has experienced the same problem, do you use the Natural Graphics mod by any chance? Apparently the [AMBIENT] and [SUN] values in the colorCurves file, cause the discoloring. But there's a fix. Unfortunately emissive_blend in the smoke_grass file has to be changed from 1.1 to 1.0. With the default Kunos Weather this will paint a gradient and creates the illusion of shadows in certain angles (due to the texture overlapping). For some reason, it doesn't work with modified color_curves.

As for the COLOR_BASE values:
tyre_smoke.ini can be changed by from 1.17 to 3.17 (with pp filter config) The 'without PP filter' seems to be uneffected anyway.

As for the smoke_grass.ini, this should do the trick for now: COLOR_BASE=1.9,1.6,1.3
I'll do some testing over the next few days and will update with another version as i found a good little improvement, in terms of randomness, in the tarmac smoke, anyway.

Let me know how that works out for you or what weather mods you use.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back