The McLaren 570S Coupé is here

McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 3.jpg

This is it - McLaren's first addition to the Sports Series, the 570S Coupé. It joins the McLaren family as the "little" brother to the 650S, but don't let looks fool you, there is some not-so-subtle differences.

McLaren will officially reveal the 570S Coupé in New York tomorrow, completing their first three-tier range alongside the Super Series (650S & 675LT) and Ultimate Series (P1). Being the sports car version, the 570S is down 80 Hp on its "big" brother, however the 570S is actually the larger of the two. Why? Usability.

As you can see, the interior is laid out in a more relaxed and conventional way. The seats sit (slightly) more upright, the console area provides more leg room and I'd be willing to bet the storage is larger as well.

In fact, it is. Not only that, McLaren says the seats are more comfortable on long rides. You won't be bored when stuck in traffic either, with the full infotainment system and four speaker sound system.

However, don't be fooled by the comfort and day to day usability, despite the relatively lower power and creature comforts, the 570S is certainly no slouch. The mid-rear mounted 3.8 litre twin turbo V8 provides 562 brake horsepower to the rear wheels, and with a dry weight of only 1,313 kg you might imagine this is a quite capable machine.

Thanks to the carbon fibre chassis and lightweight components, the 570S achieves a power-to-weight ratio of 434 PS per tonne, which propels the sports car to 62 MPH in just 3.2 seconds, 0 to 124 MPH in 9.5 seconds, and on to a top speed of 204 MPH.

While this may sound like an amazing compromise for a more usable car, with all the usual McLaren styling and performance, it does come at a price - around $180,000. Maybe not a cheap sports car, but when compared to others for a similar price (such as a 911 Turbo S) it does seem, to me at least, to be a no-brainer.

McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 4.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 6.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 1.jpgMcLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 7.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar Interior 1.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar Interior 2.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar Interior 3.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 3.jpg McLaren 570S Sports Series Sportscar Supercar 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, a new form of ugly I see. McLaren has lost the concept of coolness...F1 GTR nose to modern McLaren is more than a design mistake, it's a design crime. The 12C was one thing, but this is a whole new kind of crazy. When design goes for pure statement, I question the design as a whole, from Lamborghini's Veneno, The Lykan Hypersport, to this vehicle. Plus, the design imbalance is so off-putting, McLaren's utterly sparse interior does not compliment the exteriors of their cars. Again, 12C was one thing, but this design statement is not broadening the company's breadth of creativity and expression. Everyone has this notion that German cars, for example, are a bit detached--a bit "German" in Steve Sutcliffe's words--however, McLaren is the new boring. Oh look, another swoopy nose. How does this make any car in their line-up distinctive? The only thing separating a P1 owner from a 650S owner to a 570S owner is the performance and money spent on the car, nothing else. McLaren's lost their way, the grittiness, the edge. The exteriors are more comic book silly than artistic, the interiors plain rather than focused. McLaren, wake up and inject some testosterone into yourselves and your designs...PLEASE.

Erm.. so this looks exactly like the autocar renders on that other thread. So my annoyances still stand true - the car looks stretched in the side profile view, the headlamps are so big that they make the front wheels look like they were nicked from a scooter, the side pods are comically tiny and the gap between them to the rear wheels is so big you could probably turn this into a 4 door... all these things just make it look out of proportion. Although I do like the rear, it has kind of a cute ^-^ face look to it. And the central console is nice too. If this thing is running the same suspension that carried over from the 12C then it will be comfy as hell no doubt. :p

It turns out that Autocar's renders weren't that much of a difference to this one...
The thing about this "baby" McLaren, is that even with McLaren's effort to add some subtle okay-looking adornments and accents around the car, I just can't shake the feeling that this car looks a bit... ugly. I mean, I do like some of it; the rims in my opinion quite works on the car (I think), and the car looks rather great from the side, but they're just these tiny little things that can't make up of what McLaren has done wrong with the car. The headlights for example; it looks like a very distorted P1 headlight, and it doesn't look very proportional to the front end of the car (making it all look somewhat too small). And the back end... It looks like a weird, angry animal thingy, doesn't it?
I just hope that the car performs better than it looks.

I hope Mclaren doesnt follow VW/VAG idea:
Giving all cars the same faces.
When i look at all cars they offer (from MP4 to P1) the new ones look like a mix of 2-3 cars.
650S is on the front P1 and on the back MP4 as example.
Thats somewat weird.

I hope Mclaren doesnt follow VW/VAG idea:
Giving all cars the same faces.
When i look at all cars they offer (from MP4 to P1) the new ones look like a mix of 2-3 cars.
650S is on the front P1 and on the back MP4 as example.
Thats somewat weird.
All manufacturers do it. It's how they keep costs down as cars can share alot more parts with each other. Also makes said parts easier to source if you need them.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 504 39.0%