The Latest Automobilista 2 Beta Update Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new build of Automobilista 2 - and it comes with some significant reworking of the current simulation force feedback properties..

Yes, a new and fresh beta update has been deployed to the public version of Automobilista 2.. available to download the next time you restart your Steam client.

Given the designation of V0.8.4.0, the latest update to the sim introduces a welcome range of improvements and enhancements, not least of which is improvements to the brake behaviour and feel within the title - something that has proven to be a hot button subject within the community since the game released.

Also seeing further attention from Reiza developers is the force feedback within the sim, with a 'new default' profile having been added to take advantage of the changes in how ffb is represented within this latest and future builds. You can read more details about these changes in the update notes at the end of this article.

In terms of content, the new inclusions as part of V0.8.4.0 are three kart layouts for the Brazilian Interlagos venue, although physics, AI and artwork for a number of vehicles have been revised.

Update 0.8.4.0 Release Notes:

BRAKES
for all cars, including optimum temp ranges, wear, fade & failure properties have all been thoroughly revised according to the brake materials and specs of each car. These will address the brake failure issues from v0.8.3.2 and should hopefully provide more realistic wear and more "feel" on some cars.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

FORCE FEEDBACK: we have included an additional "NEW DEFAULT" profile featuring several Force Feedback developments, as an option to the "OLD DEFAULT" profile in the FFB UI - those with existing game settings will remain with "OLD" until they opt to switch to "NEW" . As the Gain, Low Force Boost and FX sliders work quite differently in the "NEW" profile, we want to give people the chance to opt into the new once they have understood how the Sliders may need to be adjusted.

Main differences with "NEW DEFAULT" relate to the Low force Boost slider. and how it interacts with the Gain slider.

In AMS2 "OLD DEFAULT" profile, Gain slider was a confusing device as overall output FFB path was setup badly, with Low Force Boost applied after Gain slider - this was problematic as essentially then you have as many combinations of what happens with signal as there are settings on Gain slider, leading to big inconsistencies (this explains some of the difficulties users had finding a good all-around FFB setting that worked well with all cars, specially on more powerful wheels).

With the "NEW DEFAULT" profile, Low Force Boost is applied before Gain slider, leading to more consistent behavior - it is now factored in the same order as AMS1.

Sample of differences in LFB curve with OLD vs NEW profile:

Reiza Update Image 1.png
Reiza Update Image 2.png

In the next build we will be adding further functions, including an updated tyre scrub formula & a minimum force configuration. Future builds will see a custom FFB multiplier per car so that users can fine tune each car to their preference. Once these and some other minor adjustments are completed, we believe AMS2 FFB will be ready for v1.0 release and by then "old" default profile will have been completely phased out.

CONTENT
  • Added Interlagos Kart track (3 layouts)
GENERAL
  • Disabled custom event date setting
  • Fixed bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track
  • Fixed multiplayer client rebroadcasting (could cause clients to be dropped from server)
UI & HUD
  • Added pedal input & engine power/torque data to telemetry screen
  • Fixed reported issues with VR / Triple HUD customization (needs validation, will reset any previous edit in those types of display)
  • Reenabled HUD selection for Options screen in-session
FORCE FEEDBACK

Added "New Default" FFB profile, with the following changes vs "old Default:
  • "Remapped" Gain slider
  • Improved Low Force Boost formula
  • A more detailed calculation of steering linkage ratios and how they influence force transferred over to the rack;
  • Overall small change in FFB output;
  • More accurate self-aligning torque and factors in residual Mz, camber inclination Mz; steer gyro Mz;

PHYSICS & AI
  • Updated brake disc thickness, optimum temps, wear, failure, fade properties with variations depending on brake material, fixing brake failure issues from previous build & improving brake feel on some cars
  • Minor adjustments to F-Classic tyre tread (all gens)
  • Adjusted AI tyre rolling resistance in F-V12, F-3, Roco
  • Minor AI performance update for Brands Hatch, Campo Grande, Donington, Guapore, Montreal, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Velocittá
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated missing LOD levels, cockpit display, rim blur, windscreen
  • Copa Truck: Added new parameter for Trucks to spawn in their pit slot rather then inside the garage, fixing bug in tracks where they wouldn´t fit the garage
  • Adjusted MRX & Roco collision mesh
  • Opala OldStock: Fixed bodywork mapping distortion
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added missing LOD levels
  • F-V12 : Updated #22 #23 community skin
  • Copa Uno: Completed livery updates for all cars in the series

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update 1.jpg

AMS 2 Header.jpg

Great news, I'll be testing this weekend. I gave several gens of F1 cars a good run at Jerez a few nights back, a lot of fun. The sim drives nice, you can really feel the variety between the gens and you have to vary up your driving accordingly.

It really feels like it's own sim now, I'm not sure what the closest comparable would be. I've heard some say it's getting to feel more AMS1-like, but that hasn't come through for me. At the risk of having a large virtual brick heaved at my noggin, I'll say I think it leaves AMS1 well behind in terms of driving feel.

Oh, and icing on the cake: absolutely gorgeous in VR. Not a big surprise when you consider PC2 was also a knockout in that regard, but nice to see the Reiza quality content.

I'm still missing the push-to-pass function on the Stock Cars as they really can make a difference during a race but I have to say that this game is amazing. The feel that you have in the stock cars, copa classics and the F1's surprised me for better as I had the unfortunate thought it would be like PC2. I am very happy I was wrong.

I'm also very happy to see a national developer create such good games. This one quickly became the sim of choice for me, especially with the combinations of car/track you don't have anywhere else.

The only thing I wasn't able to test is the VR since I don't own any of those but from the videos I saw it looks very good

I tested quite a few cars and I just can't get rid of the graininess of the new FFB. Not sure if its supposed to be "road noise" but it makes my belt driven wheel feel like a geared one. Wish we had a finer level of tuning for FX. All cars feel more stable to me. Maybe the FFB is conveying more info than I realise and I am reacting quicker but the F-Vee and the F-Trainer seem miles more stable in the rear (for better or worse). Even the 620R seems less prone to the rear kicking out on hard acceleration. These are probably all placebo effects as there is nothing in the patch notes to indicate any of this should be any different.

No idea what the bar graphs for the FFB represent in the Telemetry HUD. Anyone got any info on that?

The tyre temp indicator on the mini hud is still broken. The tyres are always green. The VR Edit hud seems to work properly now.

FWIW, my old FFB settings on Fanatec CSWv1
Old Default: 70/60/25/0
New Default: 90/60/20/0

Last edited:
Make a few laps with the good old Benetton on Gaporé... dived on those corners like there is no tomorrow and felt like Anakin powning Sebulba, as I'm one with The Force. I'm not that good, so the game is nerfed... or I'm delusional... probably the game is fine.

I tested quite a few cars and I just can't get rid of the graininess of the new FFB. Not sure if its supposed to be "road noise" but it makes my belt driven wheel feel like a geared one. Wish we had a finer level of tuning for FX. All cars feel more stable to me. Maybe the FFB is conveying more info than I realise and I am reacting quicker but the F-Vee and the F-Trainer seem miles more stable in the rear (for better or worse). Even the 620R seems less prone to the rear kicking out on hard acceleration. These are probably all placebo effects as there is nothing in the patch notes to indicate any of this should be any different.

No idea what the bar graphs for the FFB represent in the Telemetry HUD. Anyone got any info on that?

The tyre temp indicator on the mini hud is still broken. The tyres are always green. The VR Edit hud seems to work properly now.

FWIW, my old FFB settings on Fanatec CSWv1
Old Default: 70/60/25/0
New Default: 90/60/20/0
Is pcars ffb telemetry still valid despite reizas new system?
cOSlR2Rl.png

From the pcars devs.
"The bars on the left are a signal histogram in 20% steps. Shows at a quick glance how much of the FFB signal range you are using. The last bar is red and signifies clipped signal (detail lost due to saturation). Seeing too much of the red bar is a sign you should turn down the FFB volume. A histogram heavy on the left two bars means it is safe to increase volume if you want a stronger feel from the FFB."

Yep, that's how it still works.

Mind you that at least for me, the FFB meter doesn't seem to work correctly with the old FFB preset, it never shows any clipping, despite the FFB clearly clipping (by feel). It does however work perfectly fine with the new FFB preset.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

Yeah that was an issue that I found pretty much straight away from the 1st EA release. Glad to see it's been addressed for those that didn't know about it!

Yeah that was an issue that I found pretty much straight away from the 1st EA release. Glad to see it's been addressed for those that didn't know about it!
I complained about that too, it was so annoying to go from Brazil to Europe and be met with freezing cold temps, i mean it happens in real life lol, but it was annoying, great "quality of life" update.

For FFB this update was "never knew i wanted this, now can't go back situations" feels smoother, quicker more detailed, well done.

The ffb is absolutely broken for me. Who claimed that it would change? The old profile was very good. Now the feeling is flat with a scrubbing noise on my wheel
weight transfer is less fluid and the wheel has little force in the mid-range

Not too much sensitive gyroscope effect on the wheel

the brakes, the cars simply do not brake. Have a feeling high ABS.
One step back here

many vehicles still have very hard suspension with high rebound

some vehicles still rotate near a center pivot and sway oddly
When will it be repaired

Net code is horrible

The ffb is absolutely broken for me. Who claimed that it would change? The old profile was very good. Now the feeling is flat with a scrubbing noise on my wheel
weight transfer is less fluid and the wheel has little force in the mid-range

Not too much sensitive gyroscope effect on the wheel

the brakes, the cars simply do not brake. Have a feeling high ABS.
One step back here

many vehicles still have very hard suspension with high rebound

some vehicles still rotate near a center pivot and sway oddly
When will it be repaired

Net code is horrible
You need to recalibrate ffb. If it still doesn't solve it you can go back to old one.

Should we still be deleting settings folders before updating the builds?
Maybe not necessary for every update, but personally I think it's a good idea anyway. That way you immediately eliminate any possibility of "contamination" which narrows the list of causes when you have issues. At the very least, I'd say deleting your controller profile and making a new one is advisable, given the changes to FFB.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.9%