The Latest Automobilista 2 Beta Update Is Here

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new build of Automobilista 2 - and it comes with some significant reworking of the current simulation force feedback properties..

Yes, a new and fresh beta update has been deployed to the public version of Automobilista 2.. available to download the next time you restart your Steam client.

Given the designation of V0.8.4.0, the latest update to the sim introduces a welcome range of improvements and enhancements, not least of which is improvements to the brake behaviour and feel within the title - something that has proven to be a hot button subject within the community since the game released.

Also seeing further attention from Reiza developers is the force feedback within the sim, with a 'new default' profile having been added to take advantage of the changes in how ffb is represented within this latest and future builds. You can read more details about these changes in the update notes at the end of this article.

In terms of content, the new inclusions as part of V0.8.4.0 are three kart layouts for the Brazilian Interlagos venue, although physics, AI and artwork for a number of vehicles have been revised.

Update 0.8.4.0 Release Notes:

BRAKES
for all cars, including optimum temp ranges, wear, fade & failure properties have all been thoroughly revised according to the brake materials and specs of each car. These will address the brake failure issues from v0.8.3.2 and should hopefully provide more realistic wear and more "feel" on some cars.

CUSTOM DATE option has been temporarily removed from session options, now sessions will always run on default date for that track - with that we have also addressed the bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track, which could be particularly problematic when for example the user switched from a Brazilian track with a December Summer default date to an European track, leading the latter to load with winter weather and temperatures with fairly big impact on physics that the user wouldn´t have an obvious visual cue for. Next step will be to add a custom season option along with seasonal foliage (which besided the added visual variety will provide the visual cue for different temperatures). Option to customize date may be added at a later stage once we have more systems feeding correctly from such a specific setting.

FORCE FEEDBACK: we have included an additional "NEW DEFAULT" profile featuring several Force Feedback developments, as an option to the "OLD DEFAULT" profile in the FFB UI - those with existing game settings will remain with "OLD" until they opt to switch to "NEW" . As the Gain, Low Force Boost and FX sliders work quite differently in the "NEW" profile, we want to give people the chance to opt into the new once they have understood how the Sliders may need to be adjusted.

Main differences with "NEW DEFAULT" relate to the Low force Boost slider. and how it interacts with the Gain slider.

In AMS2 "OLD DEFAULT" profile, Gain slider was a confusing device as overall output FFB path was setup badly, with Low Force Boost applied after Gain slider - this was problematic as essentially then you have as many combinations of what happens with signal as there are settings on Gain slider, leading to big inconsistencies (this explains some of the difficulties users had finding a good all-around FFB setting that worked well with all cars, specially on more powerful wheels).

With the "NEW DEFAULT" profile, Low Force Boost is applied before Gain slider, leading to more consistent behavior - it is now factored in the same order as AMS1.

Sample of differences in LFB curve with OLD vs NEW profile:

Reiza Update Image 1.png
Reiza Update Image 2.png

In the next build we will be adding further functions, including an updated tyre scrub formula & a minimum force configuration. Future builds will see a custom FFB multiplier per car so that users can fine tune each car to their preference. Once these and some other minor adjustments are completed, we believe AMS2 FFB will be ready for v1.0 release and by then "old" default profile will have been completely phased out.

CONTENT
  • Added Interlagos Kart track (3 layouts)
GENERAL
  • Disabled custom event date setting
  • Fixed bug that would cause a new track selection to retain the default date of the previous track
  • Fixed multiplayer client rebroadcasting (could cause clients to be dropped from server)
UI & HUD
  • Added pedal input & engine power/torque data to telemetry screen
  • Fixed reported issues with VR / Triple HUD customization (needs validation, will reset any previous edit in those types of display)
  • Reenabled HUD selection for Options screen in-session
FORCE FEEDBACK

Added "New Default" FFB profile, with the following changes vs "old Default:
  • "Remapped" Gain slider
  • Improved Low Force Boost formula
  • A more detailed calculation of steering linkage ratios and how they influence force transferred over to the rack;
  • Overall small change in FFB output;
  • More accurate self-aligning torque and factors in residual Mz, camber inclination Mz; steer gyro Mz;

PHYSICS & AI
  • Updated brake disc thickness, optimum temps, wear, failure, fade properties with variations depending on brake material, fixing brake failure issues from previous build & improving brake feel on some cars
  • Minor adjustments to F-Classic tyre tread (all gens)
  • Adjusted AI tyre rolling resistance in F-V12, F-3, Roco
  • Minor AI performance update for Brands Hatch, Campo Grande, Donington, Guapore, Montreal, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Velocittá
VEHICLES
  • Puma P052: Updated missing LOD levels, cockpit display, rim blur, windscreen
  • Copa Truck: Added new parameter for Trucks to spawn in their pit slot rather then inside the garage, fixing bug in tracks where they wouldn´t fit the garage
  • Adjusted MRX & Roco collision mesh
  • Opala OldStock: Fixed bodywork mapping distortion
  • Gol Copa Classic: Added missing LOD levels
  • F-V12 : Updated #22 #23 community skin
  • Copa Uno: Completed livery updates for all cars in the series

Original Source: Reiza Studios.

Automobilista 2 is available on Steam Early Access now.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Update 1.jpg

AMS 2 Header.jpg

Is anyone else having issues with the HUD editor in VR? I reported it as broken last week, the patch notes said it was fixed, but nothing has changed for me. It still doesn't work in VR as I can't select or move most of the widgets.
I'm going to reply to myself, as I found a workaround which may help others. :p

Basically the issue is that the image displayed on your monitor is a cropped version of what you see in VR... it's the top-left corner. Because the HUD editor is based on your monitor resolution (1920x1080 in my case), your mouse pointer is restricted to your monitor view and therefore you are unable to select any HUD elements that fall outside it.

The workaround is to force your monitor to use a custom resolution which is the same as your VR headset, and edit the AMS 2 graphics settings file to the same resolution. (You may need to make the file read-only, to prevent the game switching it back.) In my case this meant forcing a resolution of 2560×1440. Hey presto, you can now select all HUD elements in the editor and move them wherever you like. Once done, just save it, restart the game in your usual resolution, and you're done.

Hopefully they'll fix this properly next time around!

Edit: It seems this may be an issue which only affects some (Oculus?) headsets.

Last edited:
I have a Fanatec DD1, and this new build is by far the best ffb of any build so far. I am running 60/20/50, and the feedback from the car is outstanding. I can feel the back end so much better now. If they change it in the future I hope they leave this profile in the game, because for a DD1 it may be the best ffb I've felt in any sim.
“I have a Fanatec dd1”...........

True, is does look very similar in the colors used and scroll shapes etc,... the artist that produced / created that did not use your exact file and map this car but did use your awesome livery for a reference and spent time to create their own based off yours...nice work on your creativity BTW :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hehe thank you @MD
As I suppose most people have got right is that I mostly posted my "quarrelling lawsuits" to be able to brag a bit about my "Hippie Car" paint.
Because I know exactly where both I and much later Reiza Studios + Endurance Brasil have got this paint from.
Its from the 1970 Porsche 917K socalled "Hippie Car" entered in the 1970 LeMans 24H.
There existed both a short and long "tail" version.

Porsche917 Hippie Long Tail.jpgshort.jpgBrunoBs Hippie car.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Juuust not feeling this. Sorry Reiza. After 15 years of running older gmotor titles, this just feels like another one. Prettier graphics than usual but the same old feel just a bit dumbed down. Not that challenging or engaging to drive.

I like to soften the tyres a little with Formula Vee. In AMS it gives the tyres more bite on the curbs. In Rf2 you can feel the sidewall flexing, coming back through the wheel. In AMS2 it seems to induce some canned understeer effect. Meh...

In terms of physics and ffb, the difference between rf and rf2 was night and day. The difference between AMS & AMS2 is a lot more marginal.

Bearing in mind this is the Newest thing on the market, It just doesn't feel it. Bit of a sideways step.

I finally got around to putting my WMR headset on yesterday evening.
This title is absolutely 'magical' in that environment.
Montreal is a track i'll admit I don't know very well but even there, it was loads of fun.
I have great feedback on my T500RS at 60% overall force.
Such is the response...that I was able to 'hustle' the car and properly collect it after two wild slides in the video.
It reminds me of my karting days.
For an early release title, the performance under the hood is impressive.
It defaulted to 150% super-sampling and was still extremely smooth and 'rock' solid at 90 fps....no dips.
How the heck is Reiza achieving this kind of performance with almost all settings at ultra on a Ryzen 3600x?
I don't know but I'll take it.

Attachments

• resized 20200426_071838.jpg
    resized 20200426_071838.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 130
  • resized 20200426_071859.jpg
    resized 20200426_071859.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 132
  • resized 20200426_071938.jpg
    resized 20200426_071938.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 129
  • resized 20200426_072135.jpg
    resized 20200426_072135.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130
  • resized 20200426_072200.jpg
    resized 20200426_072200.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 132
  • resized 20200426_072212.jpg
    resized 20200426_072212.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963059

This game really is awesome in terms of FFB and car handling. However, I know that Brands hatch is bumpy but the car movement (stock car) makes me sick after a few laps. Adjusting the world movement didn't help a lot. I hope this can be fixed in a next update.

Such is the response...that I was able to 'hustle' the car and properly collect it after two wild slides in the video.
I just watched some of your video.:thumbsup:
I have asked about this before - but the front wheels doesnt move even a tiny bit up/down.:sneaky:
They are glued to the chassis.
Hopefully this complete lack of realism got solved in one of the more final incarnations:sneaky:

Still better than seeing this, folks. (I got this at the 2018 3 Hours of Tarumã)
Crashed at the start of the race, got back and won the P2 class title.

View attachment 366458
I have been watching endurance Brazil races on youtube and they are amazing! Highly recommend the watch. It is incredible what Brazilian teams can do with a shoestring budget and a lot of elbow grease. If in the future motorsports turns into that (due to cost considerations) I am fine with it.

This is an issue the devs themselves told us existed when they released the sim into Early Access. It's because most of the models are not fully complete yet, and are not properly animated.
Not that it’s in the slightest bit significant, but it will (hopefully) also be nice to have actual floors in the cars when the 3D work is done. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back