The Great Debate: Is it Simulation or Arcade?

Awesome right up by way and a far the best one I have ever read. you should get an award for this mate its mega I will make sure I post it on my site for all to read. 100/10 mateI would like to put the for RD that this right up should be on the award list for best right up of the year and then put in a new hall of fame area :D

Very good article! The only thing that i see that is hindering Gran Turismo/Forza etc is the amount of TC, ABS, stabilizers being still on while in "true sim" modes.. That is deliberate effect of making the player feel he is much better than he really is just to boost the experience. I feel that the player is actually ripped off, lied to. One factor is the controller, you can't really drive with pads without some kind of assists and that is the main difference in my mind: for which controller the Sim is originally designed for..

I divide the sims in three categories: arcade sim (not mario kart, more like NFS), half arcade (GT5/Forza) and true sim (Race07, rFactor, iRacing etc). All of them are simulators with varying degrees of reality. Those categories each have been designed with the controller in mind, arcade sims use pad only, half arcade is wheel/pad and true sim is wheel. I know, everyone of those can be driven with both controller types, even mouse can be used. The difference is hidden deep inside the very core of the game engine.

Lap times is not any kind of meter, you can make a game that delivers excactly the same lap times as in real life with 50% of the driving been done by the CPU... In true sim department, achieving RL lap times can be incredibly difficult if not impossible. The fact is, console gamers have shorter attention span, which is not at all true but game designers think it so, therefore they don't have the stamina to practice 5 hours a day for a year before getting even close to competitive level of performance, they need to do it by the 3rd attempt.

So, the game cheats and gives the player that great feeling very fast, making the game experience totally different. With "true sim" races, the overall arch of game is different. First you practice, practice, practice with not a lot action going on. Then comes the race where everything is chaotic, fast and dangerous. But that is only the beginning, the race will calm down with many having to drive alone for 75% of the race teetering in the brink of boredom and finally finishing with no parade, no great euphoria, it just ends.

Console games use the rubberband effect (increased grip/power the farther you are from the main pack) to combat this so that one mistake won't ruin you're whole race. True sims don't do so and that is why the truesimmers mock everybody who thinks that they are great in console racing: console racers have more fun and truesimmers like me will always be jealous of that. But then there's to other side: when you accomplish something, a win in a tough crowd it feels much better, it feels more real and you know that it was all you and none CPU that made that happen. With half arcades you can't never be sure, you win more often and the reward is lesser.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, i've driven now 3 years, half of that with wheel. My practice hours are in thousands, online races in hudreds and i have not got ANY wins in leagues or Club racing! Podiums can be counted with one hands fingers, that all. Public racing doesn't count as it is lottery... So that's 3 years of no-wins, try to make a console racer do that....

Great read.. very interesting stuff.

Kennet, Not all console racers are in it for a quick fix. There are plenty of us around that put in many, many hours practising and racing on our chosen sims \ games. I have not won a race myself yet and rarely finish amongst the front runners but still put in the hours of practice regardless. Its not only pc racers who have such dedication you know....

Great read Danny. I do agree with you to a large extent about sim racing but I would have a slightly different approach to sim racing compared to you. I have a baseline for sims and that is reasonably powered car (e.g: 280BHP+, RWD) should come alive in different situations. If I press the throttle too abruptly coming out of a slow corner, will the car start to oversteer or will it it stick? If I press the brakes firmly, will the wheels lock and I'd be able to feel a loss of grip or will the wheels never lock or do lock but the car isn't really affected by it? And then after that, multiplayer code and content. The GT and Forza series trump all PC race sims because they offer a much greater variety of cars in comparison to any other race sim. Sure, iRacing has a number of different car types but they'd only have a tenth or (maybe less in GT5's case) of the amount of cars available. rFactor tries to make up for that with mods and there are some good mods out there but there are a load of crap ones too. With GT5 and Forza, all cars are all based on the same physics calculations so the feel between them is relative and as a base physics engine wise, they're pretty damn close as well.

Personally, I spend most of my evenings now on GT5 because I enjoy driving all different kinds of cars or Forza for the same reason (although not being able to use my wheel with the X360 is a deterrant unfortunately and I can't afford a €250 Fanatec wheel to use with it) but that is beside the point. Ultimately, what I'm trying to say, every sim racer is looking for a different aspect of realism. I do believe that netKar PRO and iRacing are the best sims out there but the poor netcode in netKar PRO along with my poor internet connection limits my enjoyment from it, iRacing, like many others, is simply very expensive. I did register for iRacing 3-for-1 month offers but to think it costs $180 to race in the Skip Barber series is a lot of money to consider but I do believe that it is the best alternative to real racing because it is still cheaper than real racing and offers the best netcode with probably the best physics but it still does lack the content that GT5 or Forza 4 would have.

So if you're looking for a very intense driving experience, consider netKar PRO or iRacing, if you're looking for a varied driving experience that has good physics go for GT5. As for Forza 4, it may be the ultimate race sim that has both very good physics and content.

One thing I will say is that all four race sims have in common is that they all can give you perfect ideology for real racing if you're considering switching to that. There is no difference in the amount of concentration needed to do a 2-hour race, how to drive a fast lap or how to overtake/defend against other drivers.

I just can't trust for Polyphony Digital at all, they have lied so many times when it comes to "simulator" mode.. So someone who has GT5 is there the rubberband effect and hidden assists? With GT2-4 they said everytime that there are no hidden assists and then after you bought it, they were there anyway. I stopped at GT4 just because of this, i just don't trust them anymore. Forza seemed like it could be true but then again, not sure about that either, my very limited experience says that there is at least rubberbanding.. You know, you're last and lapping 2 seconds faster than usual.. That is what i define the arcade sim and the difference can be minute, hard to find and harder to prove. The effects can be low but it's the principle what counts.. Games are smoke and mirrors anyway, nobody should take them this seriously..

I don't really trust SimBin either, there's something odd with the new content, some feels like they have extragrip but that can be just a feeling, i have NO facts so my ranting is purely speculation. And i think i have trust issues..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back