Featured The Grand Tour Game: Closer Look at Gadgets (Video)

Discussion in 'The Grand Tour Game' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 12, 2019 at 21:37.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,575

Ahead of the release for The Grand Tour Game this January 15th, developers Amazon Games have released another new trailer...

… featuring some of the weird and wonderful gadgets set to appear in the official Grand Tour videogame on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Ok, so these aren't exactly the sort of things one is likely to see in a modern racing game, but then again The Grand Tour Game isn't exactly the type of game that comes along every day either. We now know that TGT Game isn't likely to be a superbly detailed driving simulation, more a bit of fun between friends, and as such Amazon Games Studios aren't afraid to throw a bit of crazy into the new title - with things like Ice Cream "oil" slicks and fog screens that aren't exactly James Bond - but nevertheless should be a fun inclusion into what is highly likely to be a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Considering some of the most easily recognisable motoring journalists in the world are involved in the new title, it's no surprise that Amazon have enlisted the services of one of the dodgy trio to introduce these new "features" - with former Top Gear host and current The Grand Tour presenter James "Captain Slow" May leading off the short introductory trailer, as can be seen at the head of this article.

The Grand Tour Game will be available as a digital download for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, with new content and features set to unlock each week alongside the latest season 3 episode of the Grand Tour Amazon TV show.

The Grand Tour Videogame will release on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 January 15th 2019.
    For more news, features and discussion about this upcoming title, check out the RaceDepartment The Grand Tour Game sub forum and get involved in the discussion today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 2
  2. nogoodnames

nogoodnames

Ratings:
    +4
    Mario Cart TopGear edition???????

• Haha x 8
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
    • Beer x 1
  3. Neils on Wheels

Neils on Wheels
    Premium

Ratings:
    +79
    Wow. Hitting silver balloons totally sells it for me.

• Haha Haha x 14
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo
    Premium

Ratings:
    +697
    This is looking like a fun game really. Last time I played racing games with this stuff was Crash Team Racing for PS1 lol

• Beer Beer x 1
  5. ouvert

ouvert

Ratings:
    +625
    so it is basically Mario Cart with more realistic graphics :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  6. delpinsky

delpinsky

Ratings:
    +282
    Ehm... I'm totally impressed by the gadgets! :laugh:
    Are they portraiting the Wacky Races?!? Hooray!
    [​IMG]
    Ops..no, they aren't :cry:

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,834
    I remember the days when arcade games were actually fun and not technology previews and content buckets. I mean they did what they were supposed to do, perhaps this game will be like that too.

• Beer Beer x 3
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli

Ratings:
    +194
    The cars' physics look so static and simplistic. Project Gotham Racing on XBox from 15 years ago looked more dynamic. Why are Live for Speed, iRacing, Netkar Pro, and to a certain extent Assetto Corsa the only games where cars do a decent job of looking realistic in terms of physics? Just because a game is arcadey doesn't mean it doesn't have body/chassis dynamics taking place so why do the cars look like they are made up of single piece board. Even some sims look quite static and unrealistic when observing the car during replays - it's not just an arcade racer thing but games in general.

An arcade game like Grand Theft Auto has more realistic and dynamic looking car body than most PC sims and that's an arcade game and it's primary focus isn't even cars.

Devs need to stop pumping out more cars and tracks and actually go back to working on the fundamentals of our racing sims. Just adding more cars and tracks doesn't do much to improve a game - it's the "mechanics" of a videogame that determine whether it's fun to play/watch, not pumping out more cars/tracks/guns/maps, etc.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 23:58
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  9. drift92

drift92

Ratings:
    +54
    "This is Rubbish" James May 0:14

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dobermann92

Dobermann92

Ratings:
    +39
    This game sure will explore the limits of the PS4 and the XBone in the graphics department :D
    My biggest question that what identity will it have? I mean the advertisement is confusing for me, this is the first time they show this Mario Kart type of gameplay. Is it will be the main focus of the game?

11. CDwyer

CDwyer

Ratings:
    +15
    I dont mind some arcade racing, but Mario cart is a step too far.

12. T04STY

T04STY

Ratings:
    +69
    That game was just brilliant! Good ol' days.

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ghoults

Ghoults

Ratings:
    +347
    Sooo, powerups?

14. Koen Verlinde

Koen Verlinde

Ratings:
    +154
    James Bond simulator

15. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast

Ratings:
    +106
    Oh ****, this is gonna be Blur 2? Nice.

4 player splitscreen as well

16. Frank Lehmann

Frank Lehmann
    ... usually known as Ernie Premium

Ratings:
    +255
    :O_o: I really don't get, why they have licensed the rF2 physics engine for that.:confused:

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo
    Premium

Ratings:
    +697
    Play with sims physic files, as long as you know what you are doing building arcade cars is easy and rather fast and allows to give each of them their own style in a easy way too.
    But this is just my 2 cents. Dont know what was their goal. Maybe it was just cheaper lol

18. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,834
    I can second to that. Building arcade physics will definitely be easy, and everything will just work well.

19. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +280
    Anything gmotor is not .........

Oh Spin lol ;)

20. Raikku

Raikku

Ratings:
    +63
    So, do we have review already?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.