I just tried this and have very mixed feelings.

The idea is unique, and quite a good bit of fun to play with a beer or two.

But there are some glaring issues. Firstly, the graphics. They look like 1280x720? They are not 1920x1080 and certainly not 4K, just a blurry mess.

Secondly, the controls are woeful. Totally all over the place and steering with small inputs does nothing. I have Xbox One and a 4K TV, so other games are are good as they should be but this one, they need to address these two issues quickly. If the graphics were super crisp like even my older Forza 5 game and the controller with nicer fluidity this game would be a bit of fun. At the moment, frustrating and 5/10.

This really looks terrible, a game with design choices 25 years to late, and if I wanted to play a humorous racing game with a bunch of FMVs in 1994 I'd have picked Mega Race over this.

Pretty sure they're very self-aware of what an awful cash grab game they've put out to, seeing as how they've flagged and taken down Super GTs stream of the game on youtube and there's next to no presence for the game over at Twitch.

I'll not be interested in it but at £11 it is what it is.
Not a fan of the 3 man childs or the show or the game. But at least as a cash grab goes its priced rather fair IMO....

Regards graphics, AMS gets a free pass so why not this?

Yes it is arcade shite for branding whores but this market exists and sells units, just look at PCars franchise...

After 45 minutes of gameplay (that was supposed to be just 15 mins) here are my impressions:
-Graphics are surprisingly bad, but serviceable
-Controls are fine, again, serviceable, but then, I'm not a fan of Forza Horizon 4's either.
-Difficulty was a bit frustrating for some races, but I shouldn't get gold medals on every bit first try, right?

Overall: I think this could be the future of interactive experiences between games and shows. I like the show (its not Top Gear at its peak, we all know) but I really like the way the gameplay is weaved into the episodes. I haven't seem them in a while, so its nice to rewatch them, but not just sitting there like a couch potato. You can always just skip through the FMVs too. Masks the loading times well, so it feels very fluid.

This could be done with a lot of other types of shows I think too, especially the ones that get a whole series in the can and then release episodically. You could take a crime show and give all the assets to a game developer so they have the sets and story arc and maybe build side stories as playable mini-episodes.

UPDATE: they rolled through a 4gb patch yesterday which seems to really improve the visuals, including the FMV pieces. There's still something off though in that the car itself seems blurry when you're driving (I don't look at the car when driving) but the Swiss stage from Season 2 is really pretty. Its a fairly small map though. But a giant upgrade over a Portimao circuit that is poorly modeled and not that attractive. It doesn't help that I've raced on that track so danged much in PC2 that I am completely worn out on it.

Still enjoying it and looking forward to more content.

the-grand-tour-game-released-jpg.286471

Oh god, I hope it's a screen with ultra low settings!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%