GT5 The Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
rdgt5hl.jpg

The Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge

Welcome to the RaceDepartment Gran Turismo 5 Hot Lap Challenge. All you need to take part is a Playstation 3, a copy of Gran Turismo 5 and the desire to test your skills each week against your fellow RaceDepartment members.​

The format is simple, each week a car and track will be chosen to run hot laps. Starting Saturday 12pm GMT and finishing the following Saturday 12pm GMT you will be invited to submit your lap times for that challenge. Once the challenge deadline is met the the next track and car is chosen, this choice will alternate each week between the fastest driver and slowest driver, if no choice is made before 12PM GMT on Sunday the challenge organiser will make the choice.

To take part start up GT5 and select 'Arcade Mode' and then select 'Time Trial'. You will then select the track chosen for that weeks challenge and then the car. The car and track selection for each week will be listed below. Once you have done that you will be prompted to set the driving options. We will used a fixed format for each week which will be:​

Transmission - Manual
Front Tyres - Racing: Soft (Unless otherwise specified)
Rear Tyres - Racing: Soft (Unless otherwise specified)
Driving Line - OFF
Traction Control - OFF
Skid Recovery Force - OFF
Active Steering - OFF
Active Stability Management (ASM) - OFF
ABS - 1
Grip Reduction On Wet Track/Track Edge - REAL​

Once you've selected that you can then start hot lapping. There are no tuning options so everyone runs the same setup.​

GT5 will invalidate laps where the track is cut to gain an advantage, times shown in red in GT5 are invalid and will not count in this competition. To make it fair and competitive please don't cut the track or abuse the run off area's to gain an advantage, at least half the car should be on the track at all times and on street tracks don't use the barriers to give you an unfair advantage, the idea of the hot lap challenges is to run clean laps in the fastest time possible.​

Good luck and above all have fun!​

I was 4 tents of in 2nd sector from my 124.870, but drove last sector to safe (but very clean) and only did a 124,731. Saved the replay.

However, it is a pity that you cant configure your pedals in this game, so I have to brake and throttle with both my left feet, due to playseat. Very strange, that they did not put a custom setup in the game, like codemasters. In my opinoin, a sim game should at least allow a player to configure their wheel like they want to.

Now, 124.333.

Are we doing a rolling or standing start? as in, do you have to do it on the show where they start each lap standing?

Time trials start with a rolling start a corner or two away from the start/finish line so you can get onto a flying lap immediately.

Maybe auto-gears for those using the Dual-Shock controller, so at least its a bit of a leveller for them, not having the more precise control of a wheel, but having the freedom not having to cope with the anologue sticks and also shift gear.

There are, I'm sure, still those driving/racing on PS3's and XBOX's who still use controllers and not wheels, either through preference, space limitations or simply budget.

Or, are RD stipulating to be an active member of racing games here, console or PC, you must have a steering wheel?

;-)

No need for a steering wheel, Neil has proven that armed with a joypad you can win time trials here just look at the old GT5 Prologue hot lap results. If a person wants to take part that honestly has a disability preventing them from being able to use manual gears they only need to contact me, we welcome all racers.

And do you have to be a lisenced member to do this... or do we just need a psn account.

At present its not required but RD would like to encourage people to become licensed members. There is no weird innitiation ceremony, its free so why not? All I will say is that with limited spaces available for the PS3 Home Club I would give preference to licensed members over non licensed, I wish I could get everyone in who wants a place but until Sony ups the limit that will have to be the case.

Can we get a complete result table, not just the top 3. I'd love to be able to see where I stand overall (it ain't gonna be in the top 3!!!!)

And if it could be updated daily would be outstanding!! ;-)

The results are posted each week when the challenge finishes but you can keep up to date with how drivers are doing by reading this thread, every driver who posts a time will have their result posted not just the top 3.

1:26.804 with a PS3 Controller + Manual Gears and ABS set to 1 (OFF with a controller is just mental since the brakes are either not applied or fully applied).

Can we have 2 seperate leaderboards for controller and wheel? I know you are relying on people to say which one but its only for fun afterall :)

So far my time is 1:23.709 couple of tenths left (the hard ones).

Uhoh the aliens have arrived :) Nice time Cristian!

1:26.804 with a PS3 Controller + Manual Gears and ABS set to 1 (OFF with a controller is just mental since the brakes are either not applied or fully applied).

Can we have 2 seperate leaderboards for controller and wheel? I know you are relying on people to say which one but its only for fun afterall :)

I'm not sure what setup Cristian uses but if you check the old GT5 Prologue hot lap challenge you'll see Neil Robinson won quite a few challenges with some blisteringly fast laps and he uses a joypad.

I'm not sure what setup Cristian uses but if you check the old GT5 Prologue hot lap challenge you'll see Neil Robinson won quite a few challenges with some blisteringly fast laps and he uses a joypad.

Not round the TG test track he didn't, roflmao.

You sure have gotta be careful through Hammerhead, as a bit off line to the left or right and the lap is consigned to the recycle bin, lol.

Also using Dualshock controller here, and am only 4-5 tenths better with the auto gears than I was using manual. Found that switching the controls and having the right anologue stick as the shifter works best for me and my sausage fingers, lol, but I'm still down the slower end of the timing brackets. All good fun though.

Racing tires? :(

Indeed.

Basic low powered road car with not much power and plenty of stability fitted with the grippiest tyres isn't going to be exciting.

You really should use the first three tyres, probably the 2nd, for the Swift races... moving to the middle track day tyres for high-end exotics, and only to the race tyres for the racing cars...

They feel best that way... road cars on the racing tyres just feel flat and bland.

I'm up for being in the hot lap challenges but does everyone else really want to drive the cars with the wrong tyres? It's like driving the Lemans 24hrs with road-comfort tyres hehe!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 162 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 157 9.9%
  • < 4 years