The Future Of Canadian GP In Doubt

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
It's time for the Canadian Grand Prix, but as Formula One heads to Montreal this weekend the future of the Canadian Grand Prix in serious doubt. As the current deal to host the race expires next year and efforts to agree a new contract to stage it until 2024 have stalled.

According to reports by bloggers, the root of the problem is the Ottawa government which is believed to be unwilling to up its contribution to stage the grand prix.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is pushing for a lot improvements to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve but the authorities are not keen to foot what could be a huge bill.

Ecclestone is especially keen for changes to the pit area and paddock, where floating platforms are used to extend the area. The enlarged paddock area, together with other repairs, would cost around £10million

Negotiations are continuing and race promoter Francois Dumontier insists improvements to the track are already part of their plans.

Here is an interesting fact in preparation for the Canadian GP: According to Mercedes, drivers are at full throttle for approximately 72 percent of the lap distance in Canada with the longest period of full throttle 13.5s. Each driver will make 50 gear changes per lap, which equates to 3,500 over the 70-lap race distance.
View the Post on the Blog

I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him cheese whiz I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him I hate him

It would be a shame to use many current venues, especially if they are to be replaced with more Asian or other venues. Personally I think we need more European Venues past and present.

In doubt? Granted, it's not a done deal yet, but negociations with Ottawa (Tories) aren't over yet. Harper wants more votes from Quebec, not less. On the other hand, Bernie owns the track. Why wouldn't he invest in his own business?

Bernie says "build", they do it and save the GP for a season or two, then Bernie dumps them in favour of a Russian or Mexican GP.

I love this circuit, and it's only recently come back into the calender after being dropped once before.

The same could be said for Melbourne, which always seems to be under threat too.

Dumping classic tracks in favour of brand new circuits with an excess of run-off areas making them less challenging.

Canadian GP one of my favorite... it would be a shame

Hope they get rid of it. Too much corner cutting on f1 2012 lol
Seriously though, apart from turn 15, the rest is rather dull - especially with drs.
How quick people are to forget the best F1 race of the last decade!

Jenson comming from the back of the field to beat Vettle, in the wet was one of the best races I have ever seen and I've been watching since 1978. This track is far better than any of the Tilke designs, get rid of them first.

How quick people are to forget the best F1 race of the last decade!

Jenson comming from the back of the field to beat Vettle, in the wet was one of the best races I have ever seen and I've been watching since 1978. This track is far better than any of the Tilke designs, get rid of them first.

i remember it more for hamilton getting smashed by button :-(

it's each to his/her own really isn't it? I bet it's great to drive but then again, it doesn't compare to a real high speed monster like spa which has everything.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back