AC Modding Questions Thread

Could be a number of things, from the wrong mask.dds, wrong detail textures in the wrong slots, even wrong UV-coordinates. Any chance on some screenshots of what you're mimicking, how your textures, UV and detail channels look like?
Thanks for the answer! The textures are all copied from a Kunos track, so they should be fine. I will make my own soon, reverse engineering always works the best to understand something for me. This was just to start off with a right looking base, so that I can work from there. So it might very well be the UV coordinates, as Ive got no experience in that department and I did 'fix' that myself earlier

Hi guys! I'm pretty new to modding, and I'm trying to do my first track. I've read a lot, and learned a lot by doing. I however am running into one slight problem. I've created borders between asphalt, sand and grass to be able to make a smooth transition from one to another. I saw that's how it's done on the Kunos tracks, so I figured that would work. I made the UV mapping similar as Kunos', and this is the result I keep getting. Instead of a smooth transition from asphalt to grass to sand I'm getting this weird mix. I've used Kunos textures just to test this stuff, I will soon make my own. Does anyone know what could be the problem here, or how I could make it so this transition will become smooth? You can see the shader settings I've used, their the same as Kunos'. Thanks a lot in advance!
101601121-261064324996002-1597451654829965312-n.png
Set blendmode to alphatest or alphablend. If your textures are straight from kunos track and are used in correct shader slots that should work. Although I'd imagine using kunos track assets in finished tracks is not allowed so you want to make your textures at some point.

Here's a dumb one... I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Is there a physical size limit to a track in AC? I'm not talking about vertex limit or the 16x16km limit for proper physics—Is there a limit to the physical size of a mesh in the KSEditor?

The circuit I'm working on has a brilliant view of distant mountains, but they're fairly far away. Attempted to import with a large plot of land (only ~25000 polies without optimization) and it crashed the editor. As far as I can tell everything else should be fine.

Here's a dumb one... I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Is there a physical size limit to a track in AC? I'm not talking about vertex limit or the 16x16km limit for proper physics—Is there a limit to the physical size of a mesh in the KSEditor?

The circuit I'm working on has a brilliant view of distant mountains, but they're fairly far away. Attempted to import with a large plot of land (only ~25000 polies without optimization) and it crashed the editor. As far as I can tell everything else should be fine.
Pretty sure it’s something like 64000 vertices for the limit, maybe try welding all vertices within a 0.001 threshold?

Pretty sure it’s something like 64000 vertices for the limit, maybe try welding all vertices within a 0.001 threshold?
65536 to be exact :coffee: if welding doesn't work, make sure the object has smooth shading, or else every polygon will have their own vertices, quadrupling vertex size.
But, if that would be the reason for the ksEditor to crash, it usually gives a warning saying exactly that.

Are you only trying to export the land, or also other objects?

65536 to be exact :coffee: if welding doesn't work, make sure the object has smooth shading, or else every polygon will have their own vertices, quadrupling vertex size.
But, if that would be the reason for the ksEditor to crash, it usually gives a warning saying exactly that.

Are you only trying to export the land, or also other objects?

Thanks for the input, guys! It was well under the vert limit, so I was wondering if there is a physical size limit (I think it was about 27km across at the time). I trimmed out a whole lot of it 'cause I didn't need that much (obviously) since the draw distance isn't anywhere near that far anyways. It imports fine now.

Thanks for the smooth shading tip; I already had it on smooth but that's good to know for the future!

Thanks for the input, guys! It was well under the vert limit, so I was wondering if there is a physical size limit (I think it was about 27km across at the time). I trimmed out a whole lot of it 'cause I didn't need that much (obviously) since the draw distance isn't anywhere near that far anyways. It imports fine now.

Thanks for the smooth shading tip; I already had it on smooth but that's good to know for the future!
There's other potential issues. Like using non standard letters like ä or ß in texture or material names will stop the persistence file to be read from it's position on. Could be similar with object names

There's other potential issues. Like using non standard letters like ä or ß in texture or material names will stop the persistence file to be read from it's position on. Could be similar with object names

Hmm... Object name didn't change. Only thing I can think of is maybe on the initial export it was on flat shading (but I doubt it, since it was smooth in Blender) or it was physically too large. Texture, material and object names all stayed the same. Only thing I changed was deleting a bunch of geo that was far away from the circuit; so either something funky happened with the verts causing them to be multiplied on export or it was too physically large, I guess.

Either way, it's in there now :)

Alright, here's another dumb one:

What is the base reference point for corner distance markings on race tracks? Is it from the turn-in point? The start of the curve of the corner? Is it more arbitrary (I've seem some circuits use a 4-3-2-1 instead of foot or meter distance markings)?

Finally starting to set up the corner markers for a couple spots on my circuit and not really sure where to base them.

Hi!
Just started creating AI lines for some tracks. I now know how to do them and how to create track boundaries using the AI Line Helper and the AI dev app. Having said this, I'm struggling to find a way to make the AI better on race starts. They are really slow off the line and doing small esses before getting up to speed. Is there a way to fix this? And how so? Thanks in advanced

Grid spots are likely too close and not staggered. My general rule of thumb is minimum 40 feet between start spots.

In any case always best to treat the first lap in AC as a pace lap. The actual race starts on lap 2.

The AI lines that came with this circuit were fine for the start. The grid is staggered and there is decent distance between all cars.
I'm redoing them because the AI always crashed at the exit of turns because the boundaries are too close to the wall (it's an oval). When it's up to speed it now works great as I've redone track boundaries along with the fast_lane.ai. But the start of the race is always a mess. With some cars the back of the grid doesn't even get going. So I'm not really sure if anything can be done about it. Maybe ai_hints?

The AI lines that came with this circuit were fine for the start. The grid is staggered and there is decent distance between all cars.
I'm redoing them because the AI always crashed at the exit of turns because the boundaries are too close to the wall (it's an oval). When it's up to speed it now works great as I've redone track boundaries along with the fast_lane.ai. But the start of the race is always a mess. With some cars the back of the grid doesn't even get going. So I'm not really sure if anything can be done about it. Maybe ai_hints?

When I was working on the AI lines for my circuit I had a hell of a time with cars not leaving the grid. I checked all the AI pathing and grid spacing and everything. In the end I found that the AI extensions from CSP were causing the non-starting issues. Maybe try turning off the AI features in CSP and checking? Just spitballing. It's a shame to lose the cool down lap feature, but if cars are consistently not leaving the grid...

Me, again. This time I broke something. My circuit is now crashing when loading, just after (during?) loading the AI spline. I haven't touched the AI files at all in months. I have been working on some of the terrain, and I have two new textures and some new geometry in place. When it crashes, it's simple an "unexpected error"

In my log.txt, I get these errors:

Code:
ERROR: Material::getVar CANT FIND VAR boh for shader spar_struc
ERROR: Material::getVar CANT FIND VAR boh for shader adboard3
ERROR: Material::getVar CANT FIND VAR boh

One similar error a few lines up. The last error is incomplete and that's the end of the file. The two shaders in these lines haven't been touched, either.

In my custom_shaders_patch.log I have this at the end:
Code:
2020-06-12T16:24:21:140 [08420] | PERF  | Initialize straights for 'fast_lane', start
2020-06-12T16:24:21:141 [08420] | PERF  | Initialize straights for 'fast_lane', end
2020-06-12T16:24:21:142 [08420] | ERROR | Crash! Trying to generate nice dump: 000000D8C8CFC200
2020-06-12T16:24:21:142 [08420] | INFO  | Create dump at: C:\Users\Ryno\AppData\Local\Temp\ueh0.0

Any ideas? It was all working fine last night until I started working on the terrain again, absolutely nothing else has changed.

[EDIT] I think I solved it. Forgot to include my curbs in the export, and I'm guessing I have my AI line crossing them and since they were missing AC got upset.

Next question; any idea why my normals are being flipped on one particular object?

Last edited:
Glad you solved it :)

Normals is usually a 3d software thing, not ksEditor thing. So most likely you flipped some faces but the normals remained, or mirrored stuff and not recalculated the normals, etc. Could be a dozen of things, really.

There is a "year" entry in every track json file. Hovering over this field in CM, it says something like "first...", aiming at the first time a car was launched.
How would anyone interpret this for tracks? First year it was raced at? If so, first time of the GP, first time on the current layout, etc.?

In my case:
First race "here": 1925
First race at current location: 1926
First race at permanent circuit: 1955
First race after closing the public roads: 1992
First race after the last huge changes: 2006
First race in current layout: 2010
Year of which the track is based on (considering trackside objects, barriers, etc. etc.): 2020

I'm thinking I should do the latter, just want your input :p

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back