AC Modding Questions Thread

Hello,
Where can I find files likes these one to create my skin :
"Carpet"
"int_belt"
"alcnt"
"PlasticDetail"
"metail_detail"
I downloaded a skin with all these details .DDS but I want these same files for another car, where can I find those on the common folder ? Thanks
The answer to both of your questions is Content Manager. Open a car in Custom Showroom and then click on the part you want to change the color of. The textures name pops up and your problem should be solved.
I would advise you to use additionally this tool: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fbx-to-kn5-conversion.131633/ posted by Snoopy

Hey guys, im currently "working" on a track to learn a bit more about that stuff and bla bla :D
Now, the track im working on has almost no grip on it (Tested on optimum settings), is it possible to add some grip through one of the .ini files?

I have dumb questions for track makers (cause I already know the answer: people want all of the above)

Would you prefer
A) a handful of material shaders with different animation options
B) a single material shader that's incredibly flexible but also extremely technical to use

For A) they would be simple geometric motions, like "spin around X axis", "pendulum swinging up to 20 degrees on X axis", hopefully with a boh in kseditor that defines frequency and phase.
B) would use a texture slot to define the type of motion so you could do any translation/rotation you wanted. I'd probably just make textures to do the stuff A does and then leave other more creative stuff up to people.

Actually, back up. 2 other questions to resolve first
1) what's the material of choice for special to unique trackside objects (things where you have 1 physical thing per geometry object, not '50 trees is an object')
2) what are the top 5 trackside things that would be moving if you just had more options for animation (aside from swaying vegetation in the wind and flags, cause there's already a flag shader and I don't wanna mess with ksTree)

Whatever the case, the resulting shader will be a standalone thing you can install with the track, does not need CM dll injection or any of that ****. Though I will be passing the source over to x4fab so he can include a lights-compatible one.

Last edited:
Personally, B :)

And for animated trackside objects? Probably a wind turbine and water {both flat, and waterfall). Maybe waving people, but I try to make my spectators as inconspicuous as possible (because of the camera_facing shader).

I have dumb questions for track makers (cause I already know the answer: people want all of the above)

Would you prefer
A) a handful of material shaders with different animation options
B) a single material shader that's incredibly flexible but also extremely technical to use

For A) they would be simple geometric motions, like "spin around X axis", "pendulum swinging up to 20 degrees on X axis", hopefully with a boh in kseditor that defines frequency and phase.
B) would use a texture slot to define the type of motion so you could do any translation/rotation you wanted. I'd probably just make textures to do the stuff A does and then leave other more creative stuff up to people.

Actually, back up. 2 other questions to resolve first
1) what's the material of choice for special to unique trackside objects (things where you have 1 physical thing per geometry object, not '50 trees is an object')
2) what are the top 5 trackside things that would be moving if you just had more options for animation (aside from swaying vegetation in the wind and flags, cause there's already a flag shader and I don't wanna mess with ksTree)

Whatever the case, the resulting shader will be a standalone thing you can install with the track, does not need CM dll injection or any of that ****. Though I will be passing the source over to x4fab so he can include a lights-compatible one.
@LilSki @Brun @Mitja Bonca

Doesn't really matter to me. I just want spinning things like the 76 balls at RIR. However it is done doesn't concern me.

A good camera facing shader with some NM would be nice too since the default one is so screwed up.

Well, 2 steps forward one step back... I have it rotating, but of course it still uses the standard shadowmap (which doesn't think the object's moving)... so its shadow doesn't follow. Still, as long as the shadow's not important (or is invariant under rotation, like with the soccer ball I first tested with... oops) it works fine.

http://90d.ca/d/Rotate_Shader.7z
Stick it in JSGME's MODS folder if you're iffy but it doesn't overwrite anythin.

It's only actually modifying the vertex shader so it's also usable with several other pixelshaders - ksPerPixelReflection_ps.fxo, ksPerPixel_dual_layer_ps.fxo, and ksPerPixelAT_ps.fxo. Just you know, make a copy of the mod, rename to stPerPixelReflectionRotate_vs.fxo and then copy the stock shader to pair with it.

atm only the 'frequency' param does anything, and that is make it spin on its X axis at the frequency you set (1 = 1hz = one rotation per second). It's using gametime so it's possible it will spin in reverse during modes where the clock counts down (like timed practice/quali), I didn't get that far in testing.

Regarding skinning: I can't save a .dds file with alpha channel. Using Photoshop CS2, trying to save it as DXT5 (interpolated alpha). Unless I uncheck "alpha channel", I get an error saying it could not be saved because of a problem with the file-format module interface. What am I doing wrong?

It has an alpha channel, using a Kunos template. Photographic evidence: https://i.imgur.com/8aDoPul.png

I downloaded the plugin from here https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop says it supports CS2, and it does other than the issue I have. Had no idea of a plugin specifically for CS2. I wil try that, though I do find it a little bit weird that this legacy plugin is only available to download on some weird Russian site.

edit. installed plugin. Now I get an error: too many channels to export (5).

Last edited:
As Alfie mentioned, that error occurs as a result of having too many layers when exporting. It's annoying, and I don't get why it happens sometimes and not others, but you just have to flatten the layers before exporting to .DDS (don't save the .PSD flattened!).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 467 39.0%