AC Modding Questions Thread

Hi, on a road like this one (tipical japanese roads)
Dcp0zaRV4AAfBPR.jpg:large

the red areas usually have a little bit more grip than the usual pavement (the grey one). Usually located on hairpins or tight turns. It could be possible to have different friction via surfaces.ini, right? but I guess you'd have to name those differently in order to assing different grip levels, etc
thanks

Hi, on a road like this one (tipical japanese roads)
Dcp0zaRV4AAfBPR.jpg:large

the red areas usually have a little bit more grip than the usual pavement (the grey one). Usually located on hairpins or tight turns. It could be possible to have different friction via surfaces.ini, right? but I guess you'd have to name those differently in order to assing different grip levels, etc
thanks
Yes. And when using seperate physics and visual meshes it's as easy as cutting up the physics mesh, renaming it, and define it in the ini.

This seems like a really dumb question considering how much modding I've done...

Is there really no shader which uses a single RGBA image with the alpha for spec? Only way I can find of texturing the spec is to use something like ksPerPixelMultiMap, which seems like overkill for such a simple effect.

Slightly less dumb question. Has anyone had any experience with the alpha or alpha/luminance options in the Photoshop DDS exporter?

upload_2018-5-10_10-12-42.png

I'm creating textures which are used only for shadows, zero diffuse shading so the RGB channels are completely redundant. It looked like the alpha only option should reduce file size by 75%, but there's no difference between that and DXT5 (both 1336KB for a 1k image with MIP maps) so it seems a bit pointless. I wondered if it was uncompressed (which would make it worthwhile if it resulted in better image quality for the same file size) but can't see any difference in quality.

The alpha/luminance option is double size of the alpha only, which makes sense but that also makes it twice the size of a DXT5 RGBA image. Bit strange when (in theory) there's only half the channels.

I had the same requirements as you (single texture only used for AO shadows) and I ended up just using DXT5 as I found no other way to save my file in a usable format :O_o:

The others are definitely usable - the editor loads them with no issues - they just don't have the benefits I was expecting so I'm left wondering what's the point. 1366KB does seem to be the right size for a 1024x1024 8-bit image plus MIP maps, uncompressed. I'm just not convinced that's what it actually is.

Saving the alpha-only option requires the alpha to be in the RGB channels, which then gets saved as the alpha on export.

Ah, it turns out I was right. Just compared the exported files in Photoshop and the alpha-only one is uncompressed. Had to fanny about with the levels to make it clearly visible, but that's definitely the case.

Given the difference in quality is so negligible it's unfortunate that there isn't a compressed alpha-only option. That would be the best of both worlds.

This seems like a really dumb question considering how much modding I've done...

Is there really no shader which uses a single RGBA image with the alpha for spec? Only way I can find of texturing the spec is to use something like ksPerPixelMultiMap, which seems like overkill for such a simple effect.
AFAIK you really need a MultiMap material. I've wondered the same many many times.

Only time that the alpha channel is actually controlling specular is in a Multilayer material's detail maps.

Hello, so I have a question about COG, wheel position ect...
So as you know there is a parameter in the suspension.ini called "GC_LOCATION"
From what I've discovered editing it moves the wheels/suspenson front/back, like so:
JhTqfRm.png

so my question is, does this parameter only serve to move the wheels like that, or is it also affecting the front/rear weight distribution?

and if the latter is true, is there a way to adjust the weight distribution without affecting the wheel position (or vice versa)?

Hello, so I have a question about COG, wheel position ect...
So as you know there is a parameter in the suspension.ini called "GC_LOCATION"
From what I've discovered editing it moves the wheels/suspenson front/back, like so:
JhTqfRm.png

so my question is, does this parameter only serve to move the wheels like that, or is it also affecting the front/rear weight distribution?

and if the latter is true, is there a way to adjust the weight distribution without affecting the wheel position (or vice versa)?
That parameter is effecting the weight distribution, thats what ts for, moving the CoG location.
Almost everything else bases its location using coordinated from the CoG (including 3d model location), so moving the CoG position will naturally move everything else too.
Use the GRAPHICS_OFFSET values in car.ini to compensate the body location.

Last edited:
Another dumb question:p
Is it possible to make the wheels undergo the suspension geometry's camber/toe changes ect.. by adjusting the ride height in CM?

ATM it seems to move the whole subframe ect..

If I create Step 1 version of vehicle using.

"parent": "example car" in ui_car.json

And it shows up correctly in content manager.

Why won't it register with sidekick app for ideal tyre pressure or content manager for km driven.

Is there something else that has to be added to ui_car.json or in data files?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back