AC Modding Questions Thread

Speaking of hard edges. This is what I get because of UV maping. Rarely, but sometimes very very visible, like in this screen on the tail

viTwxG1.jpg

Whatsup with this ? Normals, or UV map troubles, or something ?

Speaking of hard edges. This is what I get because of UV maping. Rarely, but sometimes very very visible, like in this screen on the tail

viTwxG1.jpg

Whatsup with this ? Normals, or UV map troubles, or something ?
Looks like a UV seam to me. TBH seems a strange place for one though, given there is a natural panel gap just inches above.

Something with the normal or map texture I'd guess... if seams don't have identical UV orientation on both sides you can see them.

Yes could be that for some reason UV islands edges got just slightly differently toned in map texture. I also been playing with normal map, and settled down with 128;128;255 tone. Maybe I use too small NM texture, afaik it is 32x32, will try to switch to all whyte map, and/or use larger NM. At the end probably will have to use new AO bake, I have baked with 0 margin, perhaps that caused me troubles.

On the technical side ksPerPixelNM does the standard normal expansion,
xyz = rgb*2-1

rgb range from 0 to 1 as floats, so 128 is actually 0.50196 not 0.5, meaning when you expand it into a normal you're getting (0.00392, 0.00392, 1) which doesn't point straight up. So if your seams aren't parallel, the normals will not be the same.

ksPerPixelNM_damage_dirt doesn't use a normal map to modify the base normals so it shouldn't have that issue.

Assuming a default Kunos shader, does anyone have a good "recipe" for getting a convincing silver in a skin? I can't seem to find a balance between the specular being too blown out or the result looking too much like a satin finish. Truthfully I'm not all that convinced by Kunos' efforts on this front, either; the Porsche 718 Spyder looks a little flat to me, too.

On the technical side ksPerPixelNM does the standard normal expansion,
xyz = rgb*2-1

rgb range from 0 to 1 as floats, so 128 is actually 0.50196 not 0.5, meaning when you expand it into a normal you're getting (0.00392, 0.00392, 1) which doesn't point straight up. So if your seams aren't parallel, the normals will not be the same.

ksPerPixelNM_damage_dirt doesn't use a normal map to modify the base normals so it shouldn't have that issue.

Thanks, interesting stuff. But at the end it didn't really worked, maybe it is actual vertex normals thing at the seam.

Check that your specular texture gradients match at the seam? Make sure that vertice is welded (select that edge and remove doubles). If they are at the same place but not welded the vertex normals are separated. Also check you don't have a vertex group set up for something like an bevel modifier where you have accidentally included that vertice. Also check that vertice is not marked sharp. Also check if those vertices are separated or welded in uvmap. If there is a small overlap it can create weirdness as well. Your mirroring modifier could also be including a vertex group. If you have set your merge limit to really small number you may also get that effect if your vertices are not in exactly same location. Also check it uses smooth shading :p.

A lot of those things arre definitely not a problem, but I'll check some :) The most believable could be that I could have accidently marked edges as sharp and didn't notice it in blender. Though renders in blender looks alright. Well, will check, thanks.

So I want t make an AWD drivetrain which can shift power from front to back (depending on traction)

[TRACTION]
TYPE=AWD

[AWD]
FRONT_SHARE=40
FRONT_DIFF_POWER=0.40
FRONT_DIFF_COAST=0.20
FRONT_DIFF_PRELOAD=10
CENTRE_DIFF_POWER=0.90
CENTRE_DIFF_COAST=0.95
CENTRE_DIFF_PRELOAD=10
REAR_DIFF_POWER=0.50
REAR_DIFF_COAST=0.15
REAR_DIFF_PRELOAD=10

What do I need to change about that?
My goal is a standard distribution of 40/60 (f/b), up to 50% of the power can be sent to the front wheels, up to 80% to the back

Another question I have is how to let a turbo stop at a certain rpm, so it just runs out. Is that possible with the wastegate? Note: The car has 2 turbos and only one should be affected

Last edited:
I have dumb question. My car damage works in editor, but in game it doesn't appear, maybe I need to tweak something in car files ?

nvm damage.ini was missing

Wasted way too much time on this lol

Last edited:
Screenshot_ferrari_f40_ks_drag_9-4-118-0-1-28.jpg

So this is the second car I made the physics for this happens. I suspect it has to do with Toe and/or Camber and the setup.ini file
(Note: the 3d model is a rip and just there as long as I find someone who makes one or I make it myself)

View attachment 245744
So this is the second car I made the physics for this happens. I suspect it has to do with Toe and/or Camber and the setup.ini file
(Note: the 3d model is a rip and just there as long as I find someone who makes one or I make it myself)
Did you write degree values for the TOE= sections in the suspension ini? You need to put meter values there (as if you measured the length change of the steer rod)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back