AC Modding Questions Thread

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. I still can't figure out how to make rpm led's change color when on the limit. (Like the porsche 911 RSR)
So what I mean is that they need to be green untill 7000rpm and then when reaching the limit that they all start blinking red.
I also want to create a digital turbo gauge like in the ferrari 488 gtb, what textures do I need and how do I set it up in 3d software and .ini file ?
Can I use a arrow and attach a background to it like the Skyline R34 or what is the best way ? Example here

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions. I still can't figure out how to make rpm led's change color when on the limit. (Like the porsche 911 RSR)
So what I mean is that they need to be green untill 7000rpm and then when reaching the limit that they all start blinking red.
I also want to create a digital turbo gauge like in the ferrari 488 gtb, what textures do I need and how do I set it up in 3d software and .ini file ?
Can I use a arrow and attach a background to it like the Skyline R34 or what is the best way ? Example here

Thanks in advance
you need to use mesh, (as far as i know)
in sdk pdf file included in the game they explain a little (search for AC_Pipeline_PUB_Rev2.0.pdf )
also i'd suggest getting the digital_instruments file from the RSR so you can see how it's done
i don't know about changing colors!

Hello, I'm currently working on a suspension and I found out that the springs are 600 pounds per inch stiff. I know that this number is 10.7 kg/mm. How can I convert this number in a springrate?

For strut suspensions the MR is usually in the 0.95 range, that'll be a pretty safe guess if you don't have data. (My WRX worked out to 0.97 up front, roughly.)

For solid axles you put the raw spring rate in and you define the MR with the new code from a couple of patches ago. (Not at PC right now to check the exact key name.)

For DWB setups you're going to have to go case by case as they can vary quite a lot in their design.

For solid axles you put the raw spring rate in and you define the MR with the new code from a couple of patches ago. (Not at PC right now to check the exact key name.)
Just one thing, if they aren't vertical you need to use the cosin of the angle they make from vertical, since the sim behaves as if they were vertical. (there's probably some modification of the MR in roll as well but I don't know offhand what) Might be more common with dampers than springs though as the usual setup I see is vertical coil springs, diagonal damping.

Yeah, MR in an axle setup is tricky all around. Unless we're all wrong about what ATTACH_REL_POS means, though, all we really get to set is the mounting point distance from center. I guess you can calculate the wheel rate including mounting angles and bake that in to your number, though, same as with DWB or Strut.

Hello, I'm currently working on a suspension and I found out that the springs are 600 pounds per inch stiff. I know that this number is 10.7 kg/mm. How can I convert this number in a springrate?
This is the answer I've got from Kunos, which is the same the other guys are saying (I guess, sorry, I'm an ignorant on this matter)

"there are formulas but you have to know a value called "install ratio" for the suspension
which is not something that is commonly found around, not impossible to found but not common.
install ratio is actually the relationship of movement between the wheel and the spring coils"

so Install Ratio=Motion Ratio? I don't know. but maybe using that spreadsheet Is enough.

This is the answer I've got from Kunos, which is the same the other guys are saying (I guess, sorry, I'm an ignorant on this matter)

"there are formulas but you have to know a value called "install ratio" for the suspension
which is not something that is commonly found around, not impossible to found but not common.
install ratio is actually the relationship of movement between the wheel and the spring coils"

so Install Ratio=Motion Ratio? I don't know. but maybe using that spreadsheet Is enough.
Based on that description I'd say yes, it means motion ratio (never heard it called install ratio though).

Its something that isn't commonly found but as said by many above you can calculate it.

Last dumb question of today, how can I calculate the brake torque. I know the stopping distance and the brake diameter. Is it just a guessing game?

Last dumb question of today, how can I calculate the brake torque. I know the stopping distance and the brake diameter. Is it just a guessing game?
F = m*a
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a*(Xf-Xi) ----> (Vf^2-Vi^2)/(2*(Xf-Xi)) = a

Xf=stopping distance, Xi=0, Vi = speed reference for given stopping distance, Vf = 0, solve for acceleration. You know the mass of the car, so solve for the force. Multiply the force by the tire radius to get the net torque. Divide result by two to get torque per side of the car (AC's format). Note that those equations will in theory overestimate the torque as you're not removing the effects of air resistance or rolling resistance. Without more data you're also on your own for brake bias. Make sure that the units you're using agree with each other.

That will get you the torque as limited by the grip of the tires...which won't actually be very accurate (in addition to the reasons for inaccuracy I mentioned earlier).

To calculate torque correctly you need piston sizes, piston pressure and its distribution, the effective radius of the brake discs, and the coefficient of friction of the system. If you don't have any of that you'll have to make an educated guess...the above equations will at least give you somewhere to start.

Hello, sorry to bother you again. I have fiddled around with the suspension on my car and when I want to race against the ai in the car it works for me fine but the ai keep falling thru the floor. What can I do?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back