The downshift bug

Hey Chevyman :)

I was thinking huh first post? But you were on of those 20K people with a strange character in their username that messed up our import from vbulletin to xenforo forums 1 1/2 years ago and had to be removed. Welcome back :)

Noticed this strange behavior as well, very nice when you approach that sharp turn on Sebring :)

So that's how your name is actually spelt Bram... my life is a lie. :cry:

On the subject of the bug... I'm not sure if it's really a bug. The McLaren has auto-blip, so you shouldn't have to blip the throttle yourself. I think I also read somewhere that getting stuck in neutral is sometimes because of the driver not "pulling" on the paddle/gearstick long enough for the next gear to engage.
I've experienced the gearbox freaking out on me a few times and I've mostly gotten around it by being firm with my pressing of shifting buttons and staying off the throttle when braking.

But I don't know, maybe it is a bug and I'm just living in my own little world where there is a firm solution to every problem... :p

On the subject of the bug... I'm not sure if it's really a bug. The McLaren has auto-blip, so you shouldn't have to blip the throttle yourself.

What makes me see this as a bug rather than a strange "feature", is that I believe it's simply physically impossible for a real sequential gearbox to jump directly from 3rd gear to neutral. Correct me if I am wrong.

It is absolutely true that you should not blip the throttle by yourself in the McLaren. You should let the electronics do it for you. And if you let the semi-automatic work it's magic, the gearchanges are just fine. However, sometimes the car will get unstable under braking, and the only way to get the rear back in shape is to apply a little bit of throttle. It's when you are unlucky to do this while also changing down a gear, that the gearbox sometimes gets stuck in neutral.

I think I also read somewhere that getting stuck in neutral is sometimes because of the driver not "pulling" on the paddle/gearstick long enough for the next gear to engage.

This is a different problem: On the upshifts, you have to press and hold the paddle for a tenth or two (not just tap it). In an earlier build, when you just tapped the upshift paddle, the gearbox could also end up in neutral. This problem has since been fixed; now when you don't press the paddle long enough, the next gear will simply not engage, you stay in the previous gear, but you no longer end up with a box of neutrals.

What I am looking for, is a similar fix for the downshifts.

Besides that, they have a neutral button o their steering wheel.

True, but I always thought they need to be in first gear before pressing that button, else nothing will happen. Not sure how it works really.

Either way, I find it hard to believe that the real McLaren gearbox leaves the driver in neutral if he touches the throttle while shifting down.

Bram, if you measure the grip in cornering force, this car has plenty of grip, I belive it's pulling in the region of 2 G in the corners. It's more the handling that is, well, tricky. :) Especially how the rear behaves in the slow chicanes. Once the rear starts to slide you have to slow way down to reel it back in. But it's a nice challenge - the car feels very "alive", which is a good thing.

Well didn´t Hamilton pushed the Neutral button in Interlagos in 2007 by mistake in turn 3? Talking about F1 there.

To me it feels as a bug aswell, I can´t believe the car goes to neutral like that in real life, as you loose all the engine breaking power and it could make it really dangerous if you don´t notice that on time.

Im having a slightly related problem: often i need to doubleclick to shift down in Interlagos, especially on trailbraking, mostly from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd. Very uncomfortable as i already get used to doubletapping the downshift, but sometimes the bug doesnt happen so i go down 1 too much, also the car revs dont sound too vivid so its hard to tell, also wheel covers the gear indicator etc :D
Same problem with both no aids, autoclutch and autoblip. Using sequential, definatly not hardware problem as i can tap gears with 100% accuraccy while stationary.
EDIT: fixed, i was downshifting too early. If the car senses it will overrev, it wont even start a shift.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%