The Crew

Has anyone else had the chance to try the beta? Any setup tips for logitech wheel would be much appreciated, Iv been really looking forward to a good open world (car) driving game on the pc but the ffb feels strange it kind of puts me off the whole thing

There's a beta? Must look for it!

This is one of those arcade racers I'm actually looking forward to! As for setups, I think it's clear I don't know yet :) I'm just excited that there's a rough version we can see!

yeah, fwiw, you could, at least as of this morning, pre-order on amazon & get a key if youre looking for one. good way to try before buying. amazon doesnt charge your card, so you can just cancel immediately/if you decide you dont like it at no cost, but you get the key staight away.

frankly im kindve shocked ubisoft is demoing it in its current state. its a true beta, or it better be, & i have to think they misjudged how far along theyd be at these pre-determined dates...

my g27 is essentially useless as well, i believe ffb needs to be reversed for it, but not entirely sure. whatevers going on its a mess. input lag is abysmal and i found myself having to reset my wheel position bc the game seemed to forget where it was...or something...idk. was hoping to be converted by trying the beta, doesnt look like thats going to happen though.

frankly im kindve shocked ubisoft is demoing it in its current state. its a true beta, or it better be, & i have to think they misjudged how far along theyd be at these pre-determined dates...

Isn't that typical Ubisoft i.e. over-optimistic release dates? Pretty sure they did the same with The Division.

yeah, they delayed watch dogs several months & that was still a fiasco...was really cool of them to try this honestly, i wish it'd worked out/hope it does, but i think a lot of preorders are prob gonna be cancelled as a result... just going by what ive experienced + read on various boards. still, its day 1 & since its online (the source of the input lag i guess??) maybe with a few hotfixes they can get it going at least to the point that it looks promising.

nvidia was giving away codes not sure if there all gone though, i must say im really glad i never bought the expensive preorder, i though i was the only 1 thinking the wheel felt terrible after reading a few posts on the ubi forums most are saying "its great" i guess they bought they preorder, such a shame the pc is really missing a good open world driving game was really looking forward to this, the incar wheel animations are kind of funny turn 1 way the animation goes the opisite way, i think il wait until after release maybe see what the reviews are like then

I just got a Beta license and am going to be giving this a whirl... From the video and the Youtube trailer it looks pretty arcadish and I am not into arcade racing... But once I get it setup I will report back.. Anyone else have any comments on this Sim?

Cheers
RJ

Well, I recently pre-ordered The Crew because I read it had a large map. I really like free driving and a large map is kind of captivating for free drivers. Of course, I wasn't expecting a simulator but at least a bit of a sense of reality since they said they will support steering wheels. After trying it yesterday for the first time, I was really disappointed and felt like playing a NFS game. Force feedback sucks, you can't feel anything on the wheel, it doesnt even cover a rotation of 180°. Graphics look typical of an arcade, when playing you really know it's a game and not even getting slightly close to real life. The only thing that is good about it is the large map. Maybe I am misjudging since I haven't played enough, but until this moment I wouldn't recommend it to any simracer.

Thanks! I got a pick a path coupon with my GTX 980 purchase and had to choose between the Crew and Assassins Creed Unity guess it will be the later.

It´s to bad because I would want a follow up to test drive unlimited. Test drive unlimited 2 just isn´t that...

I play The Crew its fun game. But if you hope its a sim game that is good with wheel, realistic driving etc, then you will be disepointed.. I dont even bother use my T500rs on it, I just use the PS4 controller. It is far from a sim game, its much more like NFS and arcade game. So if you want a game to play with friends/online people(can play singleplayer too ofc), large map with open world and just drive for fun then this is a good game.

So yeah, I could recommend it to people, but not if you want it to be more like a sim with wheel and have realistic driving etc. But as I said can be a fun game if you want a arcade game for fun. So if I when I want to drive realistic racing game then I would deffintly not play this, but play this some on the PS4 at times just for some ''non realistic fun''....

A lot of people seem to just pass this over. That there is no section for it here is kind of symbolic it´s not a small budget title afterall.

It´s free this month on uplay. Bear in mind though you may want to get Wild run which is not included.

What I seen so far is a mixed bag. The driving model felt really sub par however my 370z does get better and better with the upgrades which is cool. Still I doubt it will ever be up with my top top 5 arcade physics titles but this is very subjective of course.

It supports at least 4 separate usb devices probably more! You can map every single button can´t complain about the controller support. This helps to overlook the driving physics as when using my gear as long as I don´t try to stay within the limits it does feel good to just cruise around and is certainly more rewarding then a stock TX. This game screams for an H-shifter.

The map is absolutely humongous entire US is simulated. Not 1:1 scale but you surely have to spend several hours going from coast to coast I recon. The competitions is not the most inspiring but it falls into the same category as Euro Truck Simulator 2 for me. You can just relax with it and you can really go places ;)

I just have three big gripes with it. The camera. They have some "look to apex" camera that is very aggressive and sometimes almost cause motion sickness. I read it does have TrackIR support hopefully this remove this feature! And TrackIR support by itself is huge.

Also due to all the streaming required it don´t run all that smooth. A bit like Euro Truck Simulator 2 but that title have slower cars so it is not quite as noticable as in the Crew. I was lowering setting after setting until I realized it didn´t matter.

Third epic rubber banding. Did a race performed very badly but I had a sold 3 second lead with only straights left. But the rubber band gave the AI some 80 km/h top speed advantage or something and I wasn´t behind long enough to reovertake. I could add stupid AI but AI is stupid by definition just more or less so it feels tiresome to bring that up. But AI in midnight club LA and FH 2 is genious in comparison :)

Surely recommend checking it out if you want something to relax with.

I futzed around with some NFS games trying to max out my new PC build and I could never get the wheel to work right.

I had played the Crew with a gamepad a few years back but stopped when I discovered FH4. I reinstalled it after trying Crew 2 for free (which is trying to be too much). I switched the driving view to cockpit and got the wheel settings in a good place and DANG! Wouldn't you know it, this game is pretty fun. Very fun in fact. What I love in the Horizon games is to just drive around fast and get rewarded for being a Hoon. The Mexico terrain is just a little boring. The US model used in The Crew is so much better. No, it doesn't look as good as FH5 or FH4, nor feel as good through the wheel. But going on a timed dash from Miami to Dallas and flying across the Panhandle and over the Mississippi River is satisfying in its own way.

I do a story mission here and there, but I also do the stunts and get the drip feed of car improvement rewards. Between my gamepad days and this 2nd life on the wheel, I've played this for probably 60 hours, which is a lot for me. And I still haven't reached the west half of the US. All I can think about is playing it, even over FH5, which should be vastly superior.

If anyone else has this weird affliction with the Crew, let me know. If you have a chance to try it out really cheap. Give it a shot. It was fun with a gamepad too. But much better with a wheel and H-pattern shifter. (my 3 main cars are a Vette, a Stang, and a Camaro).

Side benefit: with the AI traffic and pedestrians, working stop lights and varying environments, I will be using this to help train my daughter on driving.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 381 39.7%