The Big RACE Freeze Thread

• sorbifer2000

Hello!

I have just bought Race07 / GTR Evolution game (via Steam) to play it online with friends. Unfortunately I was suffering with a huge FPS drop. Sometimes it was OK, FPS were high even when I set all in-game settings and nVidia panel ones to high ones.

My setup: Inter C2D 4300 @ 2.8, nVidia Gigabyte 9800GT, 3GB RAM, Win XP.

I have tried:
1. changes in game files
2. changes in game resolution/settings
3. firewall/av turn off
4. GPU monitors, tweak programs etc.
5. brand new nVidia drivers
6. very old nVidia drivers
7. reinstalling DX9
8. applying XP SP3
9. setting process priority / affinity
and many other voodoo actions

Namely I have seen stutter even when 2 intro movies were played! 15 FPS there! With all settings high beginning of a race was at level of 1-2 FPS. On the other hand when everything was OK sometimes, it was 30 FPS!

Finally I overclocked more my CPU, still with no success. Then I set clock to default 1.8 GHz and bingo! A game is working smooth with high FPS rate! Then back to overclocked CPU - freezes. Back to normal CPU speed - all works fine. And two more switches, the same effects.

I must say that my overclocking of CPU is not extreme or high, just multiplier higher, memory clock lower to fit, no volts adjustment or so. That setup is successfully used for last 3 years with many games or office programs and never ever I had any problem with freeze or CTD or so! Temperatures also are OK, no problems, really!

It seems that the game is basing on CPU speed to set internal clock or time stamps or something like this. And it fails to recognize hardware correctly, simply look into its data files - RAM and video RAM values are wrong in config INI file, and both processors clock is claimed as 0 (zero) in TXT system file. That must be a bug somewhere...

Anyway I can enjoy the game now online and offline,
I hope that it helped someone,
best regards!

i just thouht i would revive this topic. i just bought this game form steam and it has all of these freezing problems. i have now spent two days trying to solve.

new power supply (650W)
new memory (4g)
fresh install of O.S. with all updates (win7 32)
fresh install of steam and game
many different vid drivers (8800 gt 1g ram)
bios update
config sys file
all cooling
many different video options
no other software installed just OS Steam and game
screem angry things at screen

so now what. i never found any solution. had this ever been solved

I think I need to bump this thread too, with my first post and all. :(

I've just bought Race 07 with GTR Evolution from Steam, bundled, and had Evo nearly burn out my graphics card (GTX285) on Nordschlief. The screen went suddenly black, no signal from card, had to reboot. Ran it again, same thing happened. Put my hand over the case (my card vents out the top, have a case with 90-degree-rotated mobo) and it was cooking hot. I went online and read that two of the AA settings are for ATI cards only and I should use only Setting 2 or 4. I've never come across anything like this before, but I bumped the setting down from 6 to 4 and tried again. This time I got a good way around the track, no undue heat from the card, but crashed the car. Set off again, got about two miles, screen went black again, had to reboot, but this time still no undue heat from the card. WTH?!

I'm running W7 64-bit (I checked online before purchase to make sure the game would run on this OS), 4Gb RAM, Q6600 CPU running at 3.2ghz. I have no issues whatsoever with any other games, GRID runs fine maxxed out.

Has anyone else had any issues with the ATi AA settings nearly cooking their NVidia card? Or the game crashing like this? I'm seriously unimpressed by a game nearly destroying expensive hardware, and if Simbin had their own forums they would be pretty blue right now.

Any help appreciated, TIA. :)

I just had some cooking of my ATI 5830 card. So black screen in Race07.

But i was running the game in power safe conditions. (so track looked like if i had lag)

So think the cant run in power safe conditions and indeed needs a lot of cool air intake.

After a few more crashes (total system lock-up, black screen and sound looping in the background) I decided to be more methodical and monitored the GPU temps. One lap of Nordshleife puts the card up to over 90c. I've ordered a replacement cooler for the card.

Forums,
I was hoping that anybody that had any of the problems listed in this "big freeze" thread...had success in fixing the freeze. Go figure..my system was fine, ran fine, yada, yada. Did a fresh install of my Win7 just because of general slowdowns in my computer. I usually do it once a year. But out of the blue, I have the freezes described in this thead. A perfectly fresh install, latest drivers for everything concievable, new install of steam, download the Race games and now I have freezes. And something people might not notice, if you hang out at the menu screen long enough, you can tell it starts to freeze/glitch up before you even get in a race. Remember the game has worked perfectly before. I'm running a Nvidia 250GTS. I tried a ATI 5770 and the same thing happens (actually worse). But anyway, if you guys could dig in your memory banks....and if you had this problem and succesfully fixed it. What did you do. All the suggestions in the previous 35 pages just didnt do it. So I thought I would ask just by chance someone throws me a bone. Thanks for reading.

I don't get these freezes very often but had one last week (Nvidia GTX 260). Seems quite random I would say.

On another note, we had some family visit some time ago, and one of the boys tried out my wheel. Safe to say he did a lot of crashing with the car and I had somewhere around 5-10 freezes in 30 minutes (had to restart every time). Every time I have a freeze the wheel pulls hard to one side. All of this leads me to believe its physics related (divergence due to explicit time integration perhaps) and not graphics, but it is just a hunch.

I had a terrible flood of BSOD ( nv4_disp.dll ) on 7900GTO and i traced the problem to NVidia control panel. After getting rid of any NVidia references including the chipset drivers and reinstalling it all the problem went away. Stumbled on it again couple of days ago when i installed the NVidia monitor utility to check temperatures; unistall end regclean solved it.

I do get minidumps from GTR2 and Race07 about 1 in 5 times. It always happens when navigating from one menu to other and mostly when exiting to main menu. No idea what causes it but is is another issue.

Oh, Windows SQLServer 2008 and simbin titles don't like each other, got a horrible lag and long investigation revealed the cuplrit. That teaches something: gaming rig is not a workstation...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back