Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC RaceDepartment.com 1.jpg ACC RaceDepartment.com 2.jpg ACC RaceDepartment.com 3.jpg ACC RaceDepartment.com 4.jpg ACC RaceDepartment.com 5.jpg ACC RaceDepartment.com 6.jpg
Catch part two of our exclusive Assetto Corsa Competizione interview with Marco Massarutto and Ste'fano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni...

Causing a mass panic of excitement from the sim racing community following the announcement back on February 21st, it is probably fair to say plenty of people are excited for the upcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione racing simulation, and with a potential Early Access release coming to Steam this summer, we answered the community call and sat down with two of the men behind the simulation - Marco Massarutto and Stefano Casillo, founding members of Italian development studio Kunos Simulazioni.

If you are interested in learning more of about the official racing simulation of the Blancpain GT Series, check out part 2 of our exclusive interview at the head of this article.

If you missed it earlier, part one can be viewed HERE. Oh and please consider doing us a favour by subscribing to our YouTube channel if you enjoyed this coverage and are looking forward to more of the same in the years ahead...

Assetto Corsa Competizione should be available on Steam Early Access Summer 2018.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting upcoming sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Enjoy the interview? Looking forward to ACC? Learn anything new? Leave a comment below (and subscribe to our YouTube page too!)

Last edited:
Stefano Casillo, one hell of a coding genius, you can tell this guy knows, what he is talking about, no other developer goes into detail about their knowledge in engine creation, as he does, no wonder he is well loved and supported on race department, and the sim racing community in general, so technical.

I will big up on this, sorry, I know off topic, but he has helped me so much and also told me off so many times as well, cracking guy, and I had to get to get used to his honesty LOL

Save games, yes!
Technical failures and punctures due to car abuse, yes!
Gravel traps, yes!
30 cars on track, yes but...
Blancpain GT Series Endurance Cup (2017 standings), Pro-AM + Am Teams: 18 teams / 36 cars
Blancpain GT Series Sprint Cup Teams (2017 standings), Pro-AM + Am Teams: 13 teams / 26 cars

Hopefully the real-life pit slots are all there and not fixed to 30 slots. After all Kunos are going to simulate the whole Series.

It's a pity Stefano said it's a problem the Driver Swap, at the moment. I hope they can figure it out how to solve it, so, instead of having only 2 possibilities: 1) give AI the remaining part of the race; 2) activate Accelerated Time; we can also have a 3rd possibility: 3) swap the driving with your friends whenever you like while leaving your car to the AI to drive until you get it back.

Well, my dream @kunos, would be swapping driving selecting the car you like, among the ones on the grid, at any time, so your friends can challenge you in the Championship on the same PC... but I see it's utopia and I can only re-install Geoff Crammond Grand Prix to play with my friends, I fear... :p

@lhcaetano in the internet era I love driving in single-player against AI and if you look at the statistics, you will see people use more single player mode rather than online multiplayer. I'm sorry for you, but you are terribly wrong.

I'm a little disappointed with only being able to have a maximum of 30 cars on track, was really hoping to run 60 car grids at Spa like back in the days of GTR2, and also i guess this mean we won't be getting the correct cars at the correct rounds to really simulate the season.

I have very little knowledge of programming etc, but could the car limit not be overcome by adding in a max visible car limit?

In terms of mechanical failures, I'm on the fence, I love the idea of anything can go wrong at any time, but having something actually go wrong half an hour before the end of a 3 hour race would probably make me rage quite hard! Having said that user controllable failures like over heating from damage, tire/suspension damage from aggressive kerb hopping etc but with absolutely no random failures would probably be a good compromise. Things like getting stuck in the gravel should have their place but only as options.

As for the DLC, I do hope we see other similar series that the SRO organises, perhaps even some older content like BPR, Venturi Trophy or FIA GT1 as examples.

Very much looking forward to the title though can't wait to see what the team produces.

Hey guys, glad you are enjoying the interview :)

Now I have a couple of admissions to make here that leave me hanging my head in shame a little, so sorry in advance.

First and absolutely foremost must be I should have, but didn't because I'm a turd, acknowledge the absolutely awesome, incredible, patient, dedicated and talented @Davy Vandevenne for his streaming, editing, coaching and fabulous virtual studio creation skills on this interview. Literally couldn't have happened without Davy, so big, massive, huge thanks to him for all he's done on this and everything else RD related! Thanks Davy!

Second cock up from me... it became rather apparent as the interview wore on that I was using the wrong question set than that of which I had prepared earlier, so I missed off quite a few questions I originally planned on asking :( Hence the multiple "last question" sections as we wrapped filming then I though, doh! not asked about sounds, modding etc...

So sorry guys, my bad on that one.

Just means we'll have to do another one later on eh?

Thanks

There is some fascinating psychology and body language on show between 'The Lord' and Marco if you watch the reactions to questions carefully.

- Stefano, with a fabulous roll of the eyes, displays open contempt for the career mode (10:30 onward but - 10:49-10.53 in particular). He's surprised by what Marco says and not a fan. Marco shows more market understanding with his answer. I'd like to see the team discussions about the career issue. Stefano also has a universal tell when he doesn't agree with something, he'd be no good at poker!

- Marco quite literally covers his mouth (eg 13.35) when Stefano gives a bit more information away or promises something they haven't really agreed. It's interesting to watch the other times it happens.

They both dislike 'another product' that is evident from the shared in joke chuckling.

I mean no criticism in this, good leadership teams are often people who disagree and bring different skills and perspectives. Human behaviour is fascinating.

@Paul Jeffrey, very nice job with the interview! I suggest you do one of these everyday until the Early Access comes out, just to make the wait a bit more bearable :D

Also, after looking at those screens I hope Sector 3 comes out with their UE4 upgrade sometime before I get too old for this hobby :redface:
Looking tasty! Hopefully it will look just as good in motion.

Hey guys, glad you are enjoying the interview :)

Now I have a couple of admissions to make here that leave me hanging my head in shame a little, so sorry in advance.

First and absolutely foremost must be I should have, but didn't because I'm a turd, acknowledge the absolutely awesome, incredible, patient, dedicated and talented @Davy Vandevenne for his streaming, editing, coaching and fabulous virtual studio creation skills on this interview. Literally couldn't have happened without Davy, so big, massive, huge thanks to him for all he's done on this and everything else RD related! Thanks Davy!

Second cock up from me... it became rather apparent as the interview wore on that I was using the wrong question set than that of which I had prepared earlier, so I missed off quite a few questions I originally planned on asking :( Hence the multiple "last question" sections as we wrapped filming then I though, doh! not asked about sounds, modding etc...

So sorry guys, my bad on that one.

Just means we'll have to do another one later on eh?

Thanks
No worries although I thought you did ask about modding.
Sounds though yes that's a biggie as it could go all 3d binaural hopefully.

Sorry, but I must say: I hate when people bring up the AI subject!! Gzus Christ, in the internet era, where multiplayer is the key point
of particularly every single new game that comes out, and specially in a simulation environment,
AI is totally dispensable!!!
I think AI Races are still a good thing to have.
Online Racing brings tensions and sometimes very high levels of frustrations, even if things are well regulated. Because of ambitions. Offline is just a more relaxed way of driving.

Thinking of people that are new to Simracing or Racing in general. It would make a lot of sense
to have a school that does explain driving techniques and even more important, teaches behaviour
on track.

By that i mean a certain rulleset that a future community would orient itself by (what ist considered blocking weaving, when to leave space, early braking behind someone, holding a line, etc.).
A lot like IRacing already does. Most incidents don't occur because of bad intensions but more because of lacking knowledge, different apprehensions or misunderstandings.

Last edited:
rF2's solution to hide cars that are the furthest from you in order to save performance (for those that need it) should be good. IF the issue is performance with the 30 cars limit.
aggressive lods isnt the issue or the solution. thats on the graphical side aka for the gpu. We are on about the physics simulation of the ai being the problem which is all cpu to my knowledge. That being said with AMD actually putting up one hell of an offensive to intel we may have a sizeable jump in cpu performance this or next year

Last edited:
aggressive lods isnt the issue or the solution. thats on the graphical side aka for the gpu. We are on about the physics simulation of the ai being the problem which is all cpu to my knowledge. That being aid with AMD actually putting up one hell of an offensive to intel we may have a sizeable jump in cpu performance this or next year
Won't happen. ;)

Wait chain is quite optimized already. Basically bigger is better(or concentrated), but come at a price.

Nobody going crazy about them becoming the only sim to simulate the rain properly with the grip levels on and off the racing line? Well I certainly am :geek::thumbsup:

Has to happen first :)
Pretty sure rf2 and pc2 have already attempted this in there titles. You can definetly tell the difference when racing on and off the line, plus the white lines and curbs are slippery in pc2.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing