Featured The Best Black Friday Deals for Sim Racers

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Paul Jeffrey, Nov 23, 2017.

1. St3fan

St3fan

Ratings:
    +419
    I bought the Formula Pack 2 and the Formula 79 mods. All cars are really great, and I really love the Formula 79 mod!
    BTW the sitting position of the 79 surprises me. Did driver really sit that high and straight up?

2. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Finally took the plunge and ordered this for $475:

• AMD Six-Core FX-6300 Vishera Processor
      3.50GHz (with a max turbo speed 4.1GHz), 8MB Cache

• 8GB system memory (Expandable up to 16GB)
      Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

• 1TB hard drive
      Store up to 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of video and more

• Nvidia GT1030 Graphics
      2GB of dedicated graphics memory

Much thanks to all on this site who offered words of encouragement. After listening to you all, envying the community that is PC gaming, and watching the intro videos to iRacing, I decided it was silly to spend this much time at something and not do it proper. I look forward to the adventure, as I already have the TX Wheel (PC compatible I hope) and a Benq monitor. I know these specs are nothing to brag about, but I wanted entry level, but something that would run @ 60-90 fps. I know iRacing is expensive, but if you focus on the value, and not the money, I think it's the right pick for me. Of course, I'll definitely get Assetto (maybe Race Room too) and take full advantage of that Premium membership here! Thanks again.

3. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,080
    hmmm im not sure about that gpu :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Depends, I guess. I can always upgrade. And compared to what I have now (30fps unless you want to have a seizure) playing iRacing at 60 fps or Assetto at a stable 30 fps would be quite an upgrade. I can also overclock it, apparently, to gain 30% more power. What I was aiming for was simply outperforming the Xbox One and being able to gain access to iRacing. pCARS2 will be abandoned.

5. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker. Premium

Ratings:
    +3,408
    I could not dream of playing any race sim at 30 fps. In fact it would be a nightmare and a slideshow. :confused:

6. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    That is exactly why there is such a disconnect between console users (who crave convenience) and PC users (who crave quality) when it comes to 2017 racing games. Even F1 2017 was tested by DF and found to be only slightly better than last year, on the console. On the PC, it is much much faster and sharper. So, yes, hard core PC players will bristle at those specs. But for console players, they are an upgrade, in any title. And that does not take into account the graphics resolution upgrade (my poor monitor is under-used) and game-play improvements. In fact, what finally made my mind up was ease of use on the PC being much better now, and the 1000 or more small small things that I can now do in game. That, along with the availability of a pool of serious racers, who are not thrown out of lobbies because of bad netcode.

I'd also like to thank SMS for being the "last straw" in this decision. Since that game is unplayable on a console, in multiplayer, it really does not matter what the graphics look like. So, much thanks Ian. :laugh: Also, I credit iRacing too. It's exactly what I want...more ovals, more leagues, and no single-player, but free practice...plus great optimization on the PC, it's only platform.

• Beer Beer x 1
  7. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,080
    try raceroom, amazing rd racing club ;)

• Love Love x 1
  8. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    That will be my first stand alone game after iRacing. For me, I crave NASCAR and IndyCar.

9. DucMan888

DucMan888
    Premium

Ratings:
    +285
    Congratulations Rob your approach is spot on and will provide hours of enjoyment. Have fun.:):thumbsup:

10. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Thanks man. R3E and Assetto will be top priority too. (Damn, things are cheap compared to console). I hope teamspeak works. Chat is the next issue.

11. DucMan888

DucMan888
    Premium

Ratings:
    +285
    Definitely would recommend R3E, along with rF2, solid sims with solid graphics that should compliment your new rig.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I'm blown away at how many mods there are for Assetto and rF2. @mcnasty1 (a new computer owner himself) said there were "78 tracks 147 cars" for Assetto alone. I'm a bit afraid of mods right now because of the compatibility issues, both with your own PC and other players, but it's good to know they are there if you need them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2pfspiff

2pfspiff
    Xbox- SpiffPF2 PS4- Spiff2PF Premium

Ratings:
    +302
    On my way to the PC master race myself. Hopefully by the end of March.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I'm not sure to qualify for master status since you have been tainted by console blood. :laugh:

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker. Premium

Ratings:
    +3,408
    You will eventually un-taint yourself Rob. You will also suddenly crave a better GPU;). But welcome to the master race my friend.:thumbsup:
    And remember Automobilista Rob. It is a fully evolved piece of sim art.

ps, a whole new world of other cheap sims and games is going to open up to you too. And not just racing but all types that just might interest you that console owners could only dream about. Welcome to the matrix.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  16. Rob

Rob

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I think I'm already craving a new GPU. :laugh:
    The options out there are amazing. I think one game alone would be enough, but there are dozens, as you say. One of the benefits of coming from the console is that expectations are already at rock bottom. :thumbsup: especially after the project cars debacle. Auto ista is the one with the great sound I hear.

• Beer Beer x 1
  17. 2pfspiff

2pfspiff
    Xbox- SpiffPF2 PS4- Spiff2PF Premium

Ratings:
    +302
    What MOBO are you running. I thinking it is a AM3? If so did you think of getting a AM4 B250 with a Ryzen 3 if you are on a budget?

18. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,080
    i think im member of pc master race but i sure love my ps4 pro and ps3 :inlove: obviously not for racing :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Ratings:
    +74
    They are all pretty light on system resources the real issue is when you decide it's time VR only to discover your uber PC is suddenly brought to its knees :cry:. Nvidia need to hurry up with Volta damnit by the time that thing drops I'll have bought a motion platform and new rig with the money I was saving for a new Volta build!

20. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,080
    well with current gen vr gtx 1070 is enough (atleast with ASW :p)