The American Dream: Rossi's US GP F1 Debut

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rossi.jpg

Alex Rossi will compete on home soil at this weekends United States Grand Prix, becoming the first American since Scott Speed drove for Toro Rosso at Indianapolis some 8 years ago, and the first ever American to race on a purpose-built Formula One circuit in the United States.

Rossi is currently competing in F1's feeder series GP2, and since 2012, has held reserve driver roles at the now defunct Caterham outfit and now drives for the Manor Marussia team after making his Grand Prix debut at the Singapore Grand Prix.

The American made a solid impact on his debut, bringing the car home in a respectable 14th position, ahead of his more experienced teammate Will Stevens in the sister machine. Since that debut race, Rossi has shown impressive maturity and strong race pace during his time in the car over Grand Prix weekends.

Dovetailing his F1 commitments alongside the GP2 series where he currently sits second in the standings, Rossi is scheduled to drive the remaining races of the F1 season as he stakes his claim to a full time drive with the Sheffield outfit next year.

On driving in front of the partisan American crowd, Rossi told CNN.com,
"I'm going to be the very first American F1 driver to race at the purpose built circuit in Austin, there's a lot of pride that goes along with that."​

With Manor already having agreed a deal to run Mercedes engines for next season, Rossi is keen to solidify his chances of a drive with the team for 2016. Many in the paddock and media are tipping Manor to make great strides in 2016 and this has not been lost on many of the drivers still searching for a seat for the upcoming season. With talent of the likes of Kevin Magnussen, Pascal Wehrlein and Stoffel Vandoorne all looking for opportunities and current Manor incumbent Will Stevens and Roberto Mehri already known quantities, Rossi will have to continue pushing hard to secure his name on a contract before the teams head out to Australia for the opening round of 2016 in March.

Rossi told Sky Sports News HQ,
"There are a lot of other drivers [in the frame], there always is at this time of year. There are a lot of people who want to get into Formula 1, but there are limited seats, but my chances are very good and we're working very hard to finalise something soon.

"The relationship I have with Manor started at the end of last year [as reserve driver] and it's carried over to this year. It's a very positive environment, I'm happy to be here and I'm looking to stay."​

How do you think Rossi has fared this season? Does he deserve his place amongst the Grand Prix elite or should he move over and give another young talent the chance to shine? Leave your comments below!

Last edited:
I'm at COTA and the conditions are terrible. The track is very wet. Got to see FP1 yesterday but FP2 was cancelled. The track was closed this morning to the fans while they completed FP3. Qualifying is about to start weather permitting. Got the first glimpse of the Haas F1 cars during FP1. They made 15 or so laps. I love the colors of the Haas cars. I believe Rubens Barricello was one of the test drivers.

I don't know if McLaren Honda has changed something on their exhaust but their cars sound totally different than the other F1 cars. Very deep and authoritative. Everyone in the stands was commenting on how awesome they sound.

I'm at COTA and the conditions are terrible. The track is very wet. Got to see FP1 yesterday but FP2 was cancelled. The track was closed this morning to the fans while they completed FP3. Qualifying is about to start weather permitting. Got the first glimpse of the Haas F1 cars during FP1. They made 15 or so laps. I love the colors of the Haas cars. I believe Rubens Barricello was one of the test drivers.

I don't know if McLaren Honda has changed something on their exhaust but their cars sound totally different than the other F1 cars. Very deep and authoritative. Everyone in the stands was commenting on how awesome they sound.
the honda motors do sound best. They already did though when i was at Spa so i dont think it has anything to do with the changes they did.

I voted yes because he did good so far beating Stevens. Strong debut in Singapore too beside his meeting with the wall in fp1.

the honda motors do sound best. They already did though when i was at Spa so i dont think it has anything to do with the changes they did.

I voted yes because he did good so far beating Stevens. Strong debut in Singapore too beside his meeting with the wall in fp1.
I've never noticed they sounded differently on the TV coverage but they certainly do in person. Jenson Button did say that Alonso was running an engine upgrade for this race, he said he hopes Alonso smokes him which would be a good sign. Alonso has been noticably quicker than Button this weekend so far in the limited time they've had to test.

I've never noticed they sounded differently on the TV coverage but they certainly do in person. Jenson Button did say that Alonso was running an engine upgrade for this race, he said he hopes Alonso smokes him which would be a good sign. Alonso has been noticably quicker than Button this weekend so far in the limited time they've had to test.
He is indeed running with a upgraded engine. But im afraid the progress wont be that big. Lets hope Honda can comeback strong in 2016 when development limitations will be lifted.

Haas and Barrichello in FP1? That would have made some news splashes somewhere, but can't find anything anywhere. Not even on Twitter.

I doubt they were really on track during FP1.

I'm pretty sure that's the manor/marussia cars.
Not so sure about that, did they change colors or is that a Manor B team? Their normal cars are red and white and these cars are not only different color and had different sponsors but also had Rubens Barrichello driving. There's an American flag on tail also.

Not so sure about that, did they change colors or is that a Manor B team? Their normal cars are red and white and these cars are not only different color and had different sponsors but also had Rubens Barrichello driving. There's an American flag on tail also.
They have had that color scheme (blue flexbox sponsor on the sidepods) since Silverstone, they added the american flag on the tail for the USGP. https://www.facebook.com/ManorRacing
Im not able to find a mention anywhere that Rubens was driving.

Anyways, I hope the weather clears up so you can really enjoy your grand prix weekend!:D

They have had that color scheme (blue flexbox sponsor on the sidepods) since Silverstone, they added the american flag on the tail for the USGP. https://www.facebook.com/ManorRacing
Im not able to find a mention anywhere that Rubens was driving.

Anyways, I hope the weather clears up so you can really enjoy your grand prix weekend!:D
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Never seen that color scheme yet and with the American flag, I assumed Haas was getting some practice time. Weather is looking to clear up by race time, but they're going to attempt to do qualifying in the morning since it got cancelled today.

Very deep and authoritative.
:roflmao:. Well, I'm glad they sound different in person. On T.V. they sound like dying Hippos. Like they are missing a cylinder. Hope not, that's only 5 to spare! But great you are there. Truthfully, this rain delay has gotten the normally robot like F1 crews/drivers to have some fun, and banter (except for Nico and Bottas. lol) like they were, uhh, in some other series'.

BTW, Haas is going to hire Esteban. It will be announced in Mexico City. Those guys can't keep a secret. I love it.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Never seen that color scheme yet and with the American flag, I assumed Haas was getting some practice time. Weather is looking to clear up by race time, but they're going to attempt to do qualifying in the morning since it got cancelled today.

I hope to God they don't come out looking like Uncle Sam threw up. Lets' see, since they are closer to Ferrari that STR (wind tunnel Mr. Arrivabene? Right this way....), I'm partial to this one:
f1-2015-ferrari-landscape_1412417800.jpg

:roflmao:. Well, I'm glad they sound different in person. On T.V. they sound like dying Hippos. Like they are missing a cylinder. Hope not, that's only 5 to spare! But great you are there. Truthfully, this rain delay has gotten the normally robot like F1 crews/drivers to have some fun, and banter (except for Nico and Bottas. lol) like they were, uhh, in some other series'.

BTW, Haas is going to hire Esteban. It will be announced in Mexico City. Those guys can't keep a secret. I love it.
Hard to judge much due to the weather and track conditions but Alonso was in the top 10 lap times on Fridays FP1 and Button wasn't so maybe the engine upgrade is helping. I'm still uncertain if qualifying will happen this morning, it's still raining right now.

I also heard the rumor about Esteban.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years