The #1 thing any real race car driver knows is missing from AC

I shouldn’t need to say this but unfortunately I do, as there are not many actual race car drivers.

A requirement for actual rev matching using heel and toe. Currently AC1 is far too forgiving. Heck, 70% of cars don’t even require the use of the clutch even when Auto-Clutch is OFF.

Most players just fake a heel and toe. Go through the motions. In real life their very poorly rev matched downshifts would either destroy the engine or the gearbox or probably both, in 1.5 laps in a real dog box racing car.

I am so surprised at this, as even the ANCIENT rF1 had Grinding tranny mod 2.0, that would slow down your shifts with a grinding sound everytime you rev matched poorly. It was a 14kb mod.

Rev matching is the absolute requisite for AC2 (equal in importance to tire patch modelling in FFB so you feel the limit of tire slip, which is also very poor in AC).

If we can have that, the next step would be required double declutching for constant mesh transmission racing cars that need it in real life.

But almost no one here knows what double declutching is.

Last edited:
I shouldn’t need to say this but unfortunately I do, as there are not many actual race car drivers.

A requirement for actual rev matching using heel and toe. Currently AC1 is far too forgiving. Heck, 70% of cars don’t even require the use of the clutch even when Auto-Clutch is OFF.

Most players just fake a heel and toe. Go through the motions. In real life their very poorly rev matched downshifts would either destroy the engine or the gearbox or probably both, in 1.5 laps in a real dog box racing car.

I am so surprised at this, as even the ANCIENT rF1 had Grinding tranny mod 2.0, that would slow down your shifts with a grinding sound everytime you rev matched poorly. It was a 14kb mod.

Rev matching is the absolute requisite for AC2 (equal in importance to tire patch modelling in FFB so you feel the limit of tire slip, which is also very poor in AC).

If we can have that, the next step would be required double declutching for constant mesh transmission racing cars that need it in real life.

But almost no one here knows what double declutching is.
Rev matching would be wonderful along with the ability to use an h-shifter on EVERY car.

I can see why he received some downvotes for the rest of the post, but he's very right on this point.

Even the best sims fall far short in the realism department, so much so that the term "simulation" becomes a misnomer. No G forces, peripheral vision, tactile input (chassis flex, tire stutter, etc.); and every dev makes concessions for "playability". In sims you never have balky shifters or stiff clutches, in most you can abuse the engine all day with no consequence, very few even model flat spotting a tire.

I don't feel bad about using paddle shifters with sixties cars in a sim, or using a virtual mirror if the real ones are inadequate. I'm just making up for what the sim isn't giving me by using what it does give me.

FWIW, I learned to drive in a '53 Studebaker pickup, flathead six, three-on-the-tree, no synchro; you, hopefully, learn to float the gears without using the clutch at all ("if you can't find it, grind it"). Many race cars have non-synchro boxes and require this technique, clutching is slower.

I don't know what kind of realism you're playing Assetto Corsa with but if you set damage on to the max , you may destroy the gearbox if the downshifts are not proper like in real life , cars from Kunos like: lotus 72 D ,Lotus type 49 D, Lotus 25, interestingly all British cars with Hewland gearboxes from that era, another fantastic example are simdream cars like the Brabham of 1973 of John Watson and Reutemann, those 4 cars all include the lier tell needle that most fans don't know about (I guess you'll know) and that needle works like in real life too. So Kunos did an amazing job in that sense many light years ahead to Rfactor being replicating by simdream so far (big fan of their products here), You're right in some areas like saying you can destroy the gearbox if the engine is overrev, that's true. I did destroy one of my engines that way when learning to race lucky for me the car was mine and my mechanics were like brothers. (guess what we played meanwhile fixing cars? Battlefield... that's another story) I think you're over complicating things a bit with double-declutching , that was a useful technique in times of Mr Fangio Sr and Stirling Moss kinda era, simply because you were more kind to the transmission due to technology wasn't that advanced, its a technique still fancy at some trucking schools to be more kind to manual multi- gear transmissions. Simply put gears will engage smoother that way but you also be more tired and slow in a race car. You're wrong as well that gears in the game will engage even when auto-clutch is off, did you know the Hewland Gearbox in the Formula Mazda if you proficient enough you can drive it without clutch? I've done it. Kunos has done an amazing job with AC in my opinion better that ACC since those cars feel like bricks to me with no weight transfer at all, Imagine just that Ferrari , the Real Ferrari SPA uses Kunos Simulazione for their simulators and esports non other fabricator has been trusted like that simply there is not comparison as a toy but also like a tool. I run a dedicated server usually I watch drivers of different levels and you're right heel and toe is a technique getting forgotten but still makes a difference and most gamers can't use it because they haven't being taught properly (they don't even know to read a tach for god's sake) but I found them great fun and great fans of the sport I respect them. And yes I do have a FIA racing license in real life and I suppose that makes a bit of difference.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back