That first bend in a race .....

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
What do you consider is the best approach for that first bend in a race...to get involved in the initial 'jostle' for position...or to hold back a little and let the pack sort itself out a bit?
Regards

If you are one of the serious racers that need to win at all costs, then yes push your way to the front, it's the only way they think. If you are clever you bide your time and wait your chance whilst not spoiling any ones else's race. Or if you are really full of it, you can always start at the back because you like going through the field to take the win because its too easy to do it from the front and you can show the world how great you are.;):D

Last edited:
not spoiling any ones else's race
spot on!
Unfortunately it is rarely the case the whole grid behaves in such a manner. So if you are not in the group at the head of the pack just hold back and stay out of trouble. Try and get through the corner with zero damage. Or, start from the pits.
Monza is the worst! I have seen a whole grid get through the first corner, surprisingly, but completely explode into mayhem on the run up to the second chicane. Go figure.

I'm trying to drive cleanly, even if it means losing time - more often I'm gaining places by getting slower during the first lap benefiting from all dramas around me. Basically push as long as you're confident that this won't cost you or others an accident. But then again - you can gain even more places by driving aggressively too - I'll take it's down to personal preferences.

I'm taking it easy - stakes are too high to fail :)

You can’t win the race on the first lap or corner , but you can definitely lose it.

nice-motivational-great-quote-for-dead-last-is-greater-than-did-not-finish-which-trumps.jpg
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How long is the race?

At 5 laps each under 2 minutes, you're not going to have time to go through the field, but another race will start real soon, so there's nothing to lose and your competitors know that. I dislike very short races because it encourages bad racing habits.

30 minutes, you've got time. Hold your line and be prepared to brake early because there's someone in front of you. If nothing else, 75% of your competitors will not be able to stay on the track for the whole 30 minutes and you'll be 8th of 32 because you didn't spin or crash.

How long is the race?

At 5 laps each under 2 minutes, you're not going to have time to go through the field

Depends upon the field. I have been in races in which I knew the ones on the front row were fast and I would have to try to sort through the mess just to keep up. Then it is a matter of smart application of brake, accel and wheel (Plus, in some cases, knowledge of quantum physics and how to manipulate the time/space continuum - some of the stuff I've tiptoed through makes me think I warped...), to get through the poop show and get to chasing.

On the other hand there are fields in which you know you are the fastest, by far, and can sit back on the start and let 2/3 of the field take themselves out before their tires get warm. Then you start driving. And passing.

My driving style entirely depends on what kind of people are on the track with me. If it's the usual crew of close friends who are fast and actually acknowledge your existence on the track, I will drive more aggressively. But most of the time I'm racing online with people who seem to think they are the only ones on the track. If I try to pass on the outside they seem to have no issue running wide and running me off the road. If I go for the inside they close the door on me often taking both of us out. Is it that hard to use your mirrors?

Trying to make a clean pass in a public lobby is actually a lot harder than you would think.

On the other hand there are fields in which you know you are the fastest, by far, and can sit back on the start and let 2/3 of the field take themselves out before their tires get warm. Then you start driving. And passing.
That's public servers for you. :rolleyes: Load of rubbish.
Well the club and league races here at Racedepartment would provide you with fair and clean racing to set rules.:thumbsup:

That's public servers for you. :rolleyes: Load of rubbish.
Well the club and league races here at Racedepartment would provide you with fair and clean racing to set rules.:thumbsup:

I do race in a few leagues in a few sims, just not in AC.

Yes, the racing is cleaner there but there are issues:

Saturday I was racing a league race at Watkins Glen. GT3 cars. I qualified mid-pack but because I use the clutch on starts I tend to pick up four to five places by the first turn.

Except Saturday. Car did not stop in the first turn and I punted another car. Yeah, I know, cold brakes but this time the car did not even slow down. I may have pressed the clutch instead...:O_o:.

Anyway, point is that the poop show will show up, frequently, in league races too. It is just that we tend to be more forgiving and contrite in those situations.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 416 39.8%