Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

1. Is that worm gearboxes? What ratio?
2. Do you use inductive limit switches for home calibration?
3. What is the servos max speed (is it set to more than 3000RPM?)
4. What is the dynamic load on the platform? (It could be overloading the servos if the gear ratio is too low).

Hi Thanos,

thank you for your answer!
I will try your suggestion with the pulse filter on the AMC-AASD15A tomorrow.

Here some specification of my 6DOF rotary platform:
  1. The gearbox ratio is a 60:1 worm gearbox (NMRV063)
  2. No i do not use them. Is there an advantage if i use them? I never had problems with home and park position
  3. I use 130ST-M06025 1,5 KW motors with 2500 rpm. So i have set the servo max speed to 2500 rpm.
  4. With 6 x 1,5 KW motors and 60:1 gearbox, it should easily carry 600 kilogram. Now i have a payload of about 150 kilogram including the platform frame

Thank you, i will get back to you as soon as I've set the pulse filters.
Best regards from Austria!
Mario

Hi Thanos,

thank you for your answer!
I will try your suggestion with the pulse filter on the AMC-AASD15A tomorrow.

Here some specification of my 6DOF rotary platform:
  1. The gearbox ratio is a 60:1 worm gearbox (NMRV063)
  2. No i do not use them. Is there an advantage if i use them? I never had problems with home and park position
  3. I use 130ST-M06025 1,5 KW motors with 2500 rpm. So i have set the servo max speed to 2500 rpm.
  4. With 6 x 1,5 KW motors and 60:1 gearbox, it should easily carry 600 kilogram. Now i have a payload of about 150 kilogram including the platform frame

Thank you, i will get back to you as soon as I've set the pulse filters.
Best regards from Austria!
Mario
Hi,

today i have tested my platform with pulse filter setting set to "3".
It seems that now everything is working properly. Some further tests will likely confirm that.
It will also be interesting with more payload.

I still noticed something today. My AMC-AASD15A does not or never seems to calibrate my motors.
When I switch on the servo driver, I immediately see "P" and never a "C" on the AMC-AASD15A.
Shouldn't the setup recalibrate itself every time?
Should also work without a sensor using the hard stop, right?

My DIP switch positions on the AMC-AASD15A are as followed. The 1st position is on, the rest is off.

I also have a further stupid question. With FlyPt Mover, my YAW axis always moves in the opposite direction. Is there a way to invert this here? In FlyPt Mover I tried to enter a negative value under gain for my pose, unfortunately without success.

As soon as everything works halfway, i will prepare a few videos. :)

Thank you so much!
Mario

• Deleted member 1451080

So I have finally bought the AMC-AASD Motion controller (from PT-Actuators as they deliver also the emergency switch)
1f642.png

I want to do the firmware upgrade.

The board is a "AMC-AASD15A Servo" Version 1.4b 2/19/2021.
Firmware v2.11 fix5 -7axis 2560

Where do I go from there?

I have found the github with the latest firmware:
https://github.com/.../AMC.../tree/master/Latest_firmware
I have therefore the latest firmware: "enc_2560_6dof_AMC_AASD15A_v2_11_beta_fix6_RGB"
and the settings for the bootloader "2560 Option 1.jpg" and "2560 option 2.jpg"

But what do I do now with the bootloader and the AMC_Config_tool_1_2.exe.

Which do I run first etc....?

Attachments

• Thanos controller - 1.jpeg
    Thanos controller - 1.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 101
    434.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
So I have finally bought the AMC-AASD Motion controller (from PT-Actuators as they deliver also the emergency switch) :)

I want to do the firmware upgrade but I am little confused by all the videos on youtube etc...

The board is a "AMC-AASD15A Servo" Version 1.4b 2/19/2021.

Where do I go from there?

I cant tell if you have the 2560 or 1280 chipset, as we did the transition about that period, you would have to pull apart the two boards to see the chip markings. After that just follow the instructions on github how to identify the chip used and which firmware file to download and use.

https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Latest_firmware

There are links to download the AVRUBD, screenshots of the settings for each chip and links with videos for the firmware update procedure.

Hi,

today i have tested my platform with pulse filter setting set to "3".
It seems that now everything is working properly. Some further tests will likely confirm that.
It will also be interesting with more payload.

I still noticed something today. My AMC-AASD15A does not or never seems to calibrate my motors.
When I switch on the servo driver, I immediately see "P" and never a "C" on the AMC-AASD15A.
Shouldn't the setup recalibrate itself every time?
Should also work without a sensor using the hard stop, right?

My DIP switch positions on the AMC-AASD15A are as followed. The 1st position is on, the rest is off.

I also have a further stupid question. With FlyPt Mover, my YAW axis always moves in the opposite direction. Is there a way to invert this here? In FlyPt Mover I tried to enter a negative value under gain for my pose, unfortunately without success.

As soon as everything works halfway, i will prepare a few videos. :)

Thank you so much!
Mario

Hi Mario,

About the calibration of the actuators, if they are parked low near the home calibration points and can't be moved by say gravity, it will seem like they power up already calibrated. It's just the calibration duration is too short since the actuators don't have to move far.

Take a video of the power on procedure to see if the actuators do move a bit to press against hard stop and if they backtrack a bit as they should.

• Deleted member 1451080

I cant tell if you have the 2560 or 1280 chipset, as we did the transition about that period, you would have to pull apart the two boards to see the chip markings. After that just follow the instructions on github how to identify the chip used and which firmware file to download and use.

https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware/tree/master/Latest_firmware

There are links to download the AVRUBD, screenshots of the settings for each chip and links with videos for the firmware update procedure.
The display shows: Firmware v2.11 fix5 -7axis 2560

So I suppose I have the 2560, right?

I have found the latest firmware: "enc_2560_6dof_AMC_AASD15A_v2_11_beta_fix6_RGB"
and the settings for the bootloader "2560 Option 1.jpg" and "2560 option 2.jpg"

But what do I do now with the bootloader and the AMC_Config_tool_1_2.exe.

Which do I run first etc....?
(Sorry coming from the Apple Mac world...)

Attachments

434.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Deleted member 1451080

OK, finally managed it!
launched the avrubd.exe, set the settings according to the 2560 and download to the Thanos controller.
And then exit and reset procedure to restore default parameters......

Attachments

• Thanos controller 2.11 Fix6 .jpeg
    Thanos controller 2.11 Fix6 .jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Deleted member 1451080

sorry another question:

Do I have to calibrate my actuators (SFX 150)?
If yes, how?

and do I have to enter the following parameters additionnally to the servos settings in the documetation of opensfx.com?

Pn24 = 100
Pn52 = 1
Pn60 = 2
Pn61 = 6

sorry another question:

Do I have to calibrate my actuators (SFX 150)?
If yes, how?

and do I have to enter the following parameters additionnally to the servos settings in the documetation of opensfx.com?

Pn24 = 100
Pn52 = 1
Pn60 = 2
Pn61 = 6

Just set the stroke value to 150mm in the LCD menu, the calibration is done automatically on every power up of the servos. The four extra parameters take care of that automatic calibration, and have to be set in the drives.

Thanks
Thanos

• Deleted member 1451080

I am looking at the standard settings and I wondering if the "Platform check" should be set on "on" for safety reasons?

Or should it be on "off" all the time? But then why is there the option "on"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the standard settings and I wondering if the "Platform check" should be set on "on" for safety reasons?

Or should it be on "off" all the time? But then why is there the option "on"?

That setting exists for cases that ALL actuators on the rig should be active and if any of the actuators fail with alarm, the rest should remain in park position, or park if were already active.

Its not necessary to use usually, most small rigs will just have weird motion with one actuator off, but large stewart 6DOF rigs kinda need all actuators to work together.

Thanks
Thanos

• Deleted member 1451080

That setting exists for cases that ALL actuators on the rig should be active and if any of the actuators fail with alarm, the rest should remain in park position, or park if were already active.

Its not necessary to use usually, most small rigs will just have weird motion with one actuator off, but large stewart 6DOF rigs kinda need all actuators to work together.

Thanks
Thanos
I have a Simlab P1-X rig with 4 actuators (SFX-150).
Should I turn if on or leave it off? What would you recommend?

• Deleted member 1451080

Quick demonstration of the SRS Engine Haptic effect on a Scorpion actuator and a glimpse of the incoming Thanos4U motion controller...

What will the new controller do what the current does not? (trying to figure out if I need to upgrade or not)?

What will the new controller do what the current does not? (trying to figure out if I need to upgrade or not)?
Information on it to follow soon. The main difference is that you can setup the actuator specs via SRS with the Thanos4U controller. The AMC-AASD15A is more autonomous and can be used with other motion software as well (Simtools, FlyPT etc). New firmware update for AMC-AASD15A that adds a bit more integration with SRS will be released soon.

Thanks
Thanos

One of my baby ,monster PT actuators wont go down to the park position. I tried reseting with the thanos controller but it will not reset. I keep getting AL 06 error on the drive. sometimes it wont give the error on reboot and thats when I try a reset. What else can I do?

One of my baby ,monster PT actuators wont go down to the park position. I tried reseting with the thanos controller but it will not reset. I keep getting AL 06 error on the drive. sometimes it wont give the error on reboot and thats when I try a reset. What else can I do?

The AL-06 alarm is overload of the torque of the servo by 300%...

Something is blocking the actuator, or the actuator is jammed internally? Can you remove the motor from the actuator and see if the motor alone moves, and if you can easily rotate the leadscrew by rotating the link part of the actuator?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.7%