Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Just in case you will ever need need to replace a wall outlet.... :whistling: please don't do it yourself, especially on Live circuit!!! Don't take my example, I always work on live circuits :ninja:

This outlet had bad Neutral contact, and its the reason I needed to replace it. Yes there is live electricity, but all proper tools and safety precautions were taken. :thumbsup:

New improved remote panel for the AMC-AASD15A...

STL files for the new remote panel can be found on my Thingiverse:

AMC-AASD15A v1.4 remote panel enclosure v2
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4902099

AMC-AASD15A_enclosure_1_4_-_ Remote_panel_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reminder that the Thanos AMC-AASD15A controller is the only DIY controller for AASD-15A servos that support plug and play operation on Sim Racing Studio

Thanos-AMC-SRS.jpg

Our philosophy is simplicity. You setup the motion system once, and it will be always ready to use every time you need it. Its fully automated contained system, just power it on when you need it and power off when you done racing.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I was working on updating my thanos controller to the latest firmware and I am unsure what went wrong, followed the instructions to the letter, but got a message saying couldn't open com port, drivers were installed. After a few tries I gave up, replaced the jumped on the board, and power cycled the board. Now it just shows a row of boxes on the LCD. I cannot get past this and am at a loss. Google hasn't been much help.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I was working on updating my thanos controller to the latest firmware and I am unsure what went wrong, followed the instructions to the letter, but got a message saying couldn't open com port, drivers were installed. After a few tries I gave up, replaced the jumped on the board, and power cycled the board. Now it just shows a row of boxes on the LCD. I cannot get past this and am at a loss. Google hasn't been much help.

No worries, this is why this thread exists here, to offer support. Alternatively you can join my Discord server for real time chat.

Here is a few things to try:

1. Change the USB cable. Try without DB25 cables from the servos attached on the AMC-AASD15A. Make sure it enumerates COM port in the Device Manager when you plug it and you don't just try to open another system comport. Make sure you don't have programs in the running in the background that scan the USB ports, like Simhub, SRS, ultimaker Cura, to name a few.

2. Sometimes users forget to install motherboard drivers so the USB ports kinda works for legacy only, FTDI might have issues to attach correctly on it. In this case you can connect the AMC-AASD15A via a powered USB hub which uses another branch of drivers than the PC motherboard.

3. Make sure you installed the correct FTDI drivers, if not use how to install, on the FTDI website there is automatic installation executable:

4. The boxes on the LCD means the device is in bootloader mode, but still you need to remove the bootloader jumper, press reset, press download button on the AVRUBD utility and then place back the jumper. There are videos and instructions on the Github depending the chipset version your AMC-AASD15A controller has (1280 or 2560)... make sure to read carefully the information posted there:

Last edited:
Hi,

I am planning on building a new rig and have bought your controller for that.
Just for confirmation: This Motor: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32983137811.html is compatible with the Thanos Controller even if it is not AASD15A ?
There is a note "Drive support MODbus communication, support RS232/ RS485 (Default RS485, if you need RS232, please leave us a message)" which one do I need to choose?

I want to pair it with gearboxes you suggest in the initial post https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835293950.html
Is there anything else I need to consider on motor and gearboxes?

Thanks a lot
Sebastian

Hi,

I am planning on building a new rig and have bought your controller for that.
Just for confirmation: This Motor: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32983137811.html is compatible with the Thanos Controller even if it is not AASD15A ?
There is a note "Drive support MODbus communication, support RS232/ RS485 (Default RS485, if you need RS232, please leave us a message)" which one do I need to choose?

I want to pair it with gearboxes you suggest in the initial post https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835293950.html
Is there anything else I need to consider on motor and gearboxes?

Thanks a lot
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

If you going to get in the trouble to order from China, at least buy the correct one. Its same price as the one you linked (item +shipping).

The one you linked does run same firmware as the AASD-15A servos, doesn't have good heatsink, and the labels for the AC power input are wrong (as others that got these let me know)... Just get AASD-15A as you would appreciate how easier it's going to be to get it working.

Thanks for your quick reply and clarification, I took the link from the 1. post in this thread.
Also it works with DIY actuators from SFX100
[...]
If you are after a 6DOF platform build with rotary actuators, a good cheap combination will be these:
-750W AC Servo Motor Drive Kits NEMA32 80mm, AASD-15A direct replacement: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983137811.html
-Matching 50:1 planetary gearbox: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835293950.html [...]

But after your description I will go with a AASD-15A Driver Motor.
I would prefer to order from Europe/Germany, but I did not find a single Motor/Driver source from here where it is clearly stated that the motor has a AASD-15A Driver. So it seemed to me that China is the only possibility - do you know a non-china based shop where I can order?

Thanks for your quick reply and clarification, I took the link from the 1. post in this thread.

But after your description I will go with a AASD-15A Driver Motor.
I would prefer to order from Europe/Germany, but I did not find a single Motor/Driver source from here where it is clearly stated that the motor has a AASD-15A Driver. So it seemed to me that China is the only possibility - do you know a non-china based shop where I can order?

That was old link, almost 2 years ago :laugh: fixed it.

But not really, not for the 80mm flange size motors, I only find them from China. Locally I found some on Amazon, but they charge 2-3 times the cost...

I am not fixed on 80mm flange size, so could be different as I just start designing. I found 90mm motors delivered from spain(aliexpress as well), but with 16mm input shaft. Strength should be plenty enough for the input torque and gearboxes are available as well.
Any bad experiences with a 16mm shaft?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32844070107.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3f6f3c00nKKcoM&mp=1
Do I need to choose between MODBUS communication functiion RS-232 or RS-485?

PS: Sorry for "spamming" your thread, just don't want to order the wrong stuff.

Last edited:
I am not fixed on 80mm flange size, so could be different as I just start designing. I found 90mm motors delivered from spain(aliexpress as well), but with 16mm input shaft. Strength should be plenty enough for the input torque and gearboxes are available as well.
Any bad experiences with a 16mm shaft?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32844070107.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3f6f3c00nKKcoM&mp=1
Do I need to choose between MODBUS communication functiion RS-232 or RS-485?

PS: Sorry for "spamming" your thread, just don't want to order the wrong stuff.
Hi,

I think for a 6DOF platform with rotary actuators, is better to use the biggest planetary gearbox you can find. for example, a 90 flange planetary gearbox can handle more torque than a 80 one. A 110 flange planetary gearbox can handle a lot more torque than a 90 one, and so on. Being able to handle more torque means you can handle heavier rigs and the planetary gearbox is less prone to fail due to a broken gear. I know some people with 80 flange planetary gearboxes broken, all them using the cheapest one model commonly used.

I like this combination:
- Planetary gearbox 110 flange, 19mm shaft and 70:1 ratio: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005....store_pc_groupList.8148356.66.5fe67448t7VWpO
- Servo Motor: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/3284...o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.7.5d5e6901bbdRkz

In the picture you can see the big difference, in rated torque, there are between the different flanges.

1628172925237.png

Best regards.

Hello everyone,

I have now finished building my 6DOF simulator.
The following occurred during the first test with a payload of 100 kilos and a test with various games.

One or sometimes several AASD15A servo drives have generated an error code "AL-04" after rapid movements. The instructions for the servo driver only state that it is an alarm from the Intelligent power module.

The tragic thing about the whole story is that my Thanos AMC-AASD15A did not stop and the motors that had a Servo Driver AL-04 error did not move anymore.

Fortunately, nothing in my construction was damaged.
Can someone explain where the error AL-04 on the AASD15A comes from?

Unfortunately I don't have a 100% even line voltage on every phase. Documented my line voltage. This fluctuates between 218 and 231 volts.

The error occurs as soon as I drive faster movements with the simulator. Different servo drivers keep failing, so I don't think that my servo drivers are defective.

Attached you find pictures of my setup.

Thank you very much for your help!
Mario

Attachments

• IMG_7116_1.jpg
    IMG_7116_1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7115_1.jpg
    IMG_7115_1.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 127
Hello everyone,

I have now finished building my 6DOF simulator.
The following occurred during the first test with a payload of 100 kilos and a test with various games.

One or sometimes several AASD15A servo drives have generated an error code "AL-04" after rapid movements. The instructions for the servo driver only state that it is an alarm from the Intelligent power module.

The tragic thing about the whole story is that my Thanos AMC-AASD15A did not stop and the motors that had a Servo Driver AL-04 error did not move anymore.

Fortunately, nothing in my construction was damaged.
Can someone explain where the error AL-04 on the AASD15A comes from?

Unfortunately I don't have a 100% even line voltage on every phase. Documented my line voltage. This fluctuates between 218 and 231 volts.

The error occurs as soon as I drive faster movements with the simulator. Different servo drivers keep failing, so I don't think that my servo drivers are defective.

Attached you find pictures of my setup.

Thank you very much for your help!
Mario

The alarm errors according to the manual because of overload of the servos that results in voltage drop.
IMG_20210902_135259.jpg

A few things to check:

1. Wiring between servo drives and servomotors.

2. Connectors to make good contact.

3. Add some filtering on the actuators motion, using the pulse filter parameter in the AMC-AASD15A lcd menu, value 2 or 3 will fix lots of the high speed jolts and will lower the spikes to the 220v voltage.
If you don't have this parameter check for the latest firmware on github and also see the manual

But it would help to learn a few more things about your platform to help you better:
1. Is that worm gearboxes? What ratio?
2. Do you use inductive limit switches for home calibration?
3. What is the servos max speed (is it set to more than 3000RPM?)
4. What is the dynamic load on the platform? (It could be overloading the servos if the gear ratio is too low).

Thanks
Thanos

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 250 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years