Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Hi,

I'm waiting on a PT-Actuators kit - are the 'traffic light' e-stop kits available from you ?

I was 1/3 down the SFX rabbit hole but reconsidered and PT-A seemed a decent fit for me.

Hi,

I'm waiting on a PT-Actuators kit - are the 'traffic light' e-stop kits available from you ?

I was 1/3 down the SFX rabbit hole but reconsidered and PT-A seemed a decent fit for me.

You mean the e-stop with the lights? It's available via Discord user @Bajer#8052. Ask on my discord server: https://discord.gg/bx4PxYR

IMG_20200527_052432.jpg

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up my SFX100 with the Thanos controller. I keep getting AL06 errors on 2 of the 4 motors. The 2 problem motors both don't work on the Jog test. When I plug them in the motors stop and hum then get an AL06 error. When power is off they turn freely. after the AL06 its like they have a brake applied. All the Pn parameters look good compared to the working servo controllers, when I swap the motors to the good controllers they work. The manual is very vague on the AL06(overload 2). Any idea if this is a Pn setting error or a power wiring error?

Thanks for any help.

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up my SFX100 with the Thanos controller. I keep getting AL06 errors on 2 of the 4 motors. The 2 problem motors both don't work on the Jog test. When I plug them in the motors stop and hum then get an AL06 error. When power is off they turn freely. after the AL06 its like they have a brake applied. All the Pn parameters look good compared to the working servo controllers, when I swap the motors to the good controllers they work. The manual is very vague on the AL06(overload 2). Any idea if this is a Pn setting error or a power wiring error?

Thanks for any help.
Problem solved

I removed the mains power and the controller power and reconnected. All work now. must have been a bad connection on power wires.

Looks like it is getting there. Multiple upgrades just while he was evaluating the kit and the software is still pretty primitive, but the hardware is starting to show a bit of polish.

The SimTool UI looks like it was designed by an engineer going after only functionality. It does look like some of the early tools for RC aircraft. I would seriously suggest that the people involved in designing that software look at the software packages that come with modern FBL controllers and Gyros for RC to help simplify the the setup. Some have good wizards. They could even look at the Wizards used to configure an RC flight simulator that also bind to a receiver and use a normal Transmitter.

There is nearly a 100% overlap since you are mapping servos, reversing channels, min/max limits, roll rates damping, filtering, applying curves, adjusting if something is initiated with a kick or gently etc.. etc.. There are even safety and rescue features that will auto level if you press a button.

I'm not suggesting that the existing SimTool UI is unusable, but if I can continue to use RC as a reference, I know many people are completely confused by RC helicopter setup. At fly-ins there would be people with horribly configured FBL controllers on their helis who just didn't know they had configured their helis to fly for crap. Some pilots who had a clue would fly their helis and dial them in for them.

What I see with SimTools is that many people could get a system working, but without a good understanding of the relationship between how the servos are working together would "think" they had it working well because they were so excited that it worked after they built it, but they still wouldn't have it dialed in well if that makes sense.

This happened in the RC world as well. Someone would be happy that they got their heli to fly without realizing that the flight dynamics they had configured were crap.

From a hardware perspective, you might say that is not your problem, but I think the software is frequently overlooked.

Last edited:
Most of the AASD-15A servos in the market have no shielded wiring on the power cable. Here a few videos to replace with shielded cable while keeping the aviation type connectors:

And here a video how to check if all the wiring has shield and if the shielded replacement cable you got really is shielded:

The shielded cable I used on the videos is this one:

Probably you can find it in black color too.

Thanks
Thanos

Would these work for joining wires together?

YES!!! I got a nice multi-pack of different sizes of these from Amazon recently!

Use some hot air and its ready in seconds!!!

Hi Thanos,

I am considering the PT Actuator 5 DOF system which uses the AMC AASD controller

I have read and seen how to add the 7th channel and I was considering adding this channel to enhance Traction Loss

Most TL systems that I have seen to date generally move the rear of the chassis about a pivot point at the front of the chassis

This seems to be great for oversteer but leaves understeer not represented as well as it could be I think (I could be wrong here)

My thought was to mount a 7th actuator at the front in place of the pivot so that in an understeer situation you actually feel the front move away from the direction of turn.

Is this something the controller is capable of doing in conjunction with SIM Tools software?

Anything I may have missed in my considerations?

Hi Thanos,

I am considering the PT Actuator 5 DOF system which uses the AMC AASD controller

I have read and seen how to add the 7th channel and I was considering adding this channel to enhance Traction Loss

Most TL systems that I have seen to date generally move the rear of the chassis about a pivot point at the front of the chassis

This seems to be great for oversteer but leaves understeer not represented as well as it could be I think (I could be wrong here)

My thought was to mount a 7th actuator at the front in place of the pivot so that in an understeer situation you actually feel the front move away from the direction of turn.

Is this something the controller is capable of doing in conjunction with SIM Tools software?

Anything I may have missed in my considerations?

Sure, you could use the 7th actuator channel for front movement, given you overcome some mechanical challenges this involves.

The problem is simtools currently does not explicit output such understeer motion cue, or to be more precise, the game plugins don't include it. It would need to be extracted from somewhere else.

From my experience the best source for understeer comes from the FFB signal of the steering wheel, where the resistance of turning the wheel gets less strong if the front wheels are losing grip. You would need to redirect somehow this force effect and combine it with yaw rotation and sway to be able to detect and ultimately create the desired understeer motion cue for the front actuator...

Perhaps you should ask Dustin (Simtools creator) in Xsimulator.net forum if and how this could be implemented.

Thanks
Thanos

Cheers Thanos

I will check in with Dustin, I wonder if I could reverse map the TL inputs and change the attentuation slightly.

I race and while you are correct the steering does lightening up under severe understeer its first indicators are normally a little more lock than expected but not necessarily that much lighter steering but you also feel the seat move to the outside of the turn radius slightly as well and this is the sensation I was trying replicate

Best Regards
Mike

The Bajer E-stop box with led light buttons is now available on Tindie:

:thumbsup:
Does this blink when spikes in motion are detected or am I getting emi? I have just installed this and all works ok but yesterday I noticed sometimes when there is rougher movement, the yellow light will flash every now and then. Are there more functions that are not listed in the manual?

Thanks

Does this blink when spikes in motion are detected or am I getting emi? I have just installed this and all works ok but yesterday I noticed sometimes when there is rougher movement, the yellow light will flash every now and then. Are there more functions that are not listed in the manual?

Thanks

This means it's jumping from online to offline and back to online quickly after it filters out these spikes... all is good. As designed!!

Thanks
Thanos

I just updated the firmware on my Thanos Controller for the first time.. All went well..

Except I must be missing something obvious... Before when I powered up my rig the actuators slowly raised the platform to a 50% stroke position (SFX100 actuators).. NO motion input

Now when I power on it slams from 0-50% in like .2 of a very violent second..

I've tried messing with the park/standby position setting and speed... nothing seem to make it slowly raise to 50%

Am I missing something obvious?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years