Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Most of the AASD-15A servos in the market have no shielded wiring on the power cable. Here a few videos to replace with shielded cable while keeping the aviation type connectors:

And here a video how to check if all the wiring has shield and if the shielded replacement cable you got really is shielded:

The shielded cable I used on the videos is this one:

Probably you can find it in black color too.

Thanks
Thanos

Most of the AASD-15A servos in the market have no shielded wiring on the power cable. Here a few videos to replace with shielded cable while keeping the aviation type connectors:

The shielded cable I used on the videos is this one:

Probably you can find it in black color too.

Thanks
Thanos

Been looking everywhere for black and it's kinda hard to find. A some Alibaba/Express shops aren't shipping to USA now and it's a bit hard to navigate most of the stores to get the right size (it seems you need to buy Chinese 17ga to get normal 18ga?) and find lengths listed with the right number/size conducters and the only ones I have found are expensive and have super slow shipping and I don't want to wait until July+ to recieve.

I did find a local supplier though http://www.zyltech.com/10m-18-4-shielded-stranded-bundled-wire/#product-reviews with reasonable cost too but have been a little hesitant to buy theirs because the only review mentions it smells (if someone buys this wire post results!) bad and this sim is going to be in my house where the last thing I want is gear that outgasses bothersome chemicals so I'm back to square 1. I'm assuming it's because the pandemic but black shielded 18/4 is way harder to find than it should be atm

Been looking everywhere for black and it's kinda hard to find. A some Alibaba/Express shops aren't shipping to USA now and it's a bit hard to navigate most of the stores to get the right size (it seems you need to buy Chinese 17ga to get normal 18ga?) and find lengths listed with the right number/size conducters and the only ones I have found are expensive and have super slow shipping and I don't want to wait until July+ to recieve.

I did find a local supplier though http://www.zyltech.com/10m-18-4-shielded-stranded-bundled-wire/#product-reviews with reasonable cost too but have been a little hesitant to buy theirs because the only review mentions it smells (if someone buys this wire post results!) bad and this sim is going to be in my house where the last thing I want is gear that outgasses bothersome chemicals so I'm back to square 1. I'm assuming it's because the pandemic but black shielded 18/4 is way harder to find than it should be atm

Yeah, probably already hoarded by AASD-15A owners lol

Anyway, perhaps you can paint it black so its not so obvious... still way less obvious than using B option:

C53C3804-6500-498E-97A8-F8ECBB067213.jpeg

Hello,
I was talking with a friend about a cnc machine I use and how I had extra Tecnic clearpath motors (SDSK 341S-ELN), cables, and an IP-5 for power. He knows I enjoy racing and mentioned motion simulation and mentioned a potential repurposing of those motors. Long story short, he seemed to think those 4 motors and power supply would be enough for a motion rig and could be controlled by the Thanos. Are you able to share if he is correct?

Hello,
I was talking with a friend about a cnc machine I use and how I had extra Tecnic clearpath motors (SDSK 341S-ELN), cables, and an IP-5 for power. He knows I enjoy racing and mentioned motion simulation and mentioned a potential repurposing of those motors. Long story short, he seemed to think those 4 motors and power supply would be enough for a motion rig and could be controlled by the Thanos. Are you able to share if he is correct?

True the SD models of clearpath servos can be controlled by same step/pulse signals like AASD-15A servos do. The only thing I’m not sure, is if the clearpath servos output “Torque level reached“ signal that is used for linear actuators like sfx100. But you can always use wired limit switch instead.

Thanks
Thanos

True the SD models of clearpath servos can be controlled by same step/pulse signals like AASD-15A servos do. The only thing I’m not sure, is if the clearpath servos output “Torque level reached“ signal that is used for linear actuators like sfx100. But you can always use wired limit switch instead.

Thanks
Thanos

Thank you for the quick response!

Looks like I have some research and reading to do...

For those using Thanos+SimTools and playing AMS2, which settings are you using? Mine are below, which I totally copied from @diablo2112 on a different thread. I am not sure if he has made changes since (please chime in if so @diablo2112 ). On the Thanos side, using all suggested settings for SFX100 from user manual, Smoothing of 0, and Spike Filter at 3000. Just curious what others are using as well. Thanks!
sfx100-settings-1-png.375959

sfx100-settings-2-png.375960

sfx100-settings-3-png.375961

For those using Thanos+SimTools and playing AMS2, which settings are you using? Mine are below, which I totally copied from @diablo2112 on a different thread. I am not sure if he has made changes since (please chime in if so @diablo2112 ). On the Thanos side, using all suggested settings for SFX100 from user manual, Smoothing of 0, and Spike Filter at 3000. Just curious what others are using as well. Thanks!
sfx100-settings-1-png.375959

sfx100-settings-2-png.375960

sfx100-settings-3-png.375961

You shouldnt copy anyone else's simtools settings. You should actually make your own because each rig will have different tuning center values and percentages, and your likings are different than the next guy.
Here's some info on how to make your own profile: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/steps-to-create-a-motion-profile.228/

But if you want to do like i did and copy someone elses profile to get a baseline, you should turn off each axis assignment and save only DOF1, then test in AMS2... See how it feels.. Then save the tuning center values and the percentages, then turn off the DOF1 axis assignment, and test what you have under DOF-2, and so on. Test each DOF assignment by itself to see how it feels, and then go back and turn them all back on. Save each time, so you know you're testing 1 DOF at a time.

You shouldnt copy anyone else's simtools settings. You should actually make your own because each rig will have different tuning center values and percentages, and your likings are different than the next guy.
Here's some info on how to make your own profile: https://www.xsimulator.net/community/faq/steps-to-create-a-motion-profile.228/

But if you want to do like i did and copy someone elses profile to get a baseline, you should turn off each axis assignment and save only DOF1, then test in AMS2... See how it feels.. Then save the tuning center values and the percentages, then turn off the DOF1 axis assignment, and test what you have under DOF-2, and so on. Test each DOF assignment by itself to see how it feels, and then go back and turn them all back on. Save each time, so you know you're testing 1 DOF at a time.

Good advice, thank you for taking the time to reply. I figured it was OK to copy since we both have the SFX100 on very similar chassis, but I totally understand what you are saying and will give it a shot. In line with what you said, I'm just hoping to find a great baseline to start from since it can be a bit overwhelming otherwise. Any other suggestions are welcome, and thanks again.

Good advice, thank you for taking the time to reply. I figured it was OK to copy since we both have the SFX100 on very similar chassis, but I totally understand what you are saying and will give it a shot. In line with what you said, I'm just hoping to find a great baseline to start from since it can be a bit overwhelming otherwise. Any other suggestions are welcome, and thanks again.

I have a PT-actuators kit with the AMC Controller. The Thanos amc controller connects to all types of rigs, including SFX-100 and allows you to use SimTools, FlyPT, among other apps on the market.
The guys at SFX-100 made the project but lock you into using SimFeedback only, and also lock you into using an Arduino leonardo that has 4 connections only, limited to 100mm. WIth the AMC Controller, you can actually use 110mm if you built the SFX-100 kit to their specs they made, and you can add belt tensioner, Traction Loss, Surge, or whatever else you'd like...

Plus the spike filter Thanos added is a life saver!

I have a PT-actuators kit with the AMC Controller. The Thanos amc controller connects to all types of rigs, including SFX-100 and allows you to use SimTools, FlyPT, among other apps on the market.
The guys at SFX-100 made the project but lock you into using SimFeedback only, and also lock you into using an Arduino leonardo that has 4 connections only, limited to 100mm. WIth the AMC Controller, you can actually use 110mm if you built the SFX-100 kit to their specs they made, and you can add belt tensioner, Traction Loss, Surge, or whatever else you'd like...

Plus the spike filter Thanos added is a life saver!

Sorry, I should have clarified that by "we", I meant Diablo and I have the SFX100-based rig.

I definitely agree with you though: The AMC Controller allows for more options, and the spike filter is awesome! I can't imagine the type of injuries I'd have right now if I hadn't enabled it since the very first time I turned on my rig. I had also setup the controller using 110mm of travel from the start, so it's good to hear that was the correct decision.

Thanks again for the response. If anyone else here has the SFX-100 and AMC controller, I'd be curious to see what settings you prefer.

Sorry, I should have clarified that by "we", I meant Diablo and I have the SFX100-based rig.

I definitely agree with you though: The AMC Controller allows for more options, and the spike filter is awesome! I can't imagine the type of injuries I'd have right now if I hadn't enabled it since the very first time I turned on my rig. I had also setup the controller using 110mm of travel from the start, so it's good to hear that was the correct decision.

Thanks again for the response. If anyone else here has the SFX-100 and AMC controller, I'd be curious to see what settings you prefer.

The AMC manual has an example generic profile for Simtools, but really you should use it as reference and build one on your own from scratch...

See another example attached...

Attachments

• 4DOF_TL_SURGE_iRacing_example_profile_for_Simtools(updated).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 226
I have a question. Every now and then I am able to connect to the configuration tool. Most times it tells me "unable to retrieve the settings from the AMC interface". I checked with an oscilloscope for EMI ( I ran all shielded cable for the motor power) and i don't see any near the usb cord. Even with the motors powered down, it still mostly does not want to connect. I tried both versions of the config tool. Simtools has no problem seeing it however. Is it simtools or the config tool or should both be able to see it? Also all games have no motion. They all go to the midpoint when the game starts, no motion after that. Lastly, I never get a calibration, just a park on initial power up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a question. Every now and then I am able to connect to the configuration tool. Most times it tells me "unable to retrieve the settings from the AMC interface". I checked with an oscilloscope for EMI ( I ran all shielded cable for the motor power) and i don't see any near the usb cord. Even with the motors powered down, it still mostly does not want to connect. I tried both versions of the config tool. Simtools has no problem seeing it however. Is it simtools or the config tool or should both be able to see it? Also all games have no motion. They all go to the midpoint when the game starts, no motion after that. Lastly, I never get a calibration, just a park on initial power up.

Thanks

If you try to connect right after you just stopped the motion from simtools, it might take a little bit for the controller to timeout to offline mode and park the actuators. If the AMC Controller is not offline, it won't respond to commands for ID from the AMC config Tool... just wait a minute perhaps or decrease the timeout for Park and Standby on the AMC-AASD15A LCD menu.

Thanks
Thanos

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back