Authorised Vendor Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis Servo Motion Controller

Since all is working as designed, I'll build more prototypes and decide which persons should be getting some free beta prototype cont

I already decided to two persons on Discord, to receive beta controllers, one from US and one from France.
But I'd like another one or two persons from UK preferably, but other European countries are welcome.

Some requirements to meet:
-Must have SFX100, and perhaps extra AASD-15A servo for traction loss testing
-Must have Simtools license and some knowledge to use it. Unreleased Simtools 2.4 beta will be provided from me for the tests.
-Must have YouTube channel to share videos of tests or issues.

If you are interested, send me PM message along a few photos of your rig or video.

I'll be making my decision within a week. Until then I'll be building the beta prototypes to be available for shipping ASAP.

View attachment 306586

Thanks
Thanos
For me please....spain:whistling:

I would be very interested to have the possibility of TL and maybe even surge one day. As of now my SFX100 and SimFeedback with its Arduino is limited to 4 actuators, so this project offers a welcome solution!

What interests me but what I haven’t seen discussed here or on the Discord yet is how does SimTools feel compared to SimFeedback? I’ve only driven with SimFeedback and have no experience with SimTools, other than trying out a few quick laps in a Prosimu T1000 at a friend. I’ve never done any tuning with it. I’m very happy with the tune-ability of SF though, there is nothing I haven’t been able to tune to my liking yet. Anybody tried both SimTools and SF? Is it completely interchangeable? Why was there the need for SF in the first place if SimTools can do the same btw? Thanks for your insight!

Hi everybody

I am planning to build an motion simulator similar to Prosimu P7MP. This build will need 7 actuators: 4 actuators for the upper part, a 3DOF DBOX style with Heave, Roll and pitch, and 3 actuators for the lower part, a platform capable of surge, sway, yaw, front traction lost and rear traction lost.

@thanos, I read that the AMC-AASD15A motion controller is capable to manage 7 actuators (7th is auxiliary). Can the AMC-AASD15A be used in the motion simulator described above?

Thank you.

Best regards.

I would be very interested to have the possibility of TL and maybe even surge one day. As of now my SFX100 and SimFeedback with its Arduino is limited to 4 actuators, so this project offers a welcome solution!

What interests me but what I haven’t seen discussed here or on the Discord yet is how does SimTools feel compared to SimFeedback? I’ve only driven with SimFeedback and have no experience with SimTools, other than trying out a few quick laps in a Prosimu T1000 at a friend. I’ve never done any tuning with it. I’m very happy with the tune-ability of SF though, there is nothing I haven’t been able to tune to my liking yet. Anybody tried both SimTools and SF? Is it completely interchangeable? Why was there the need for SF in the first place if SimTools can do the same btw? Thanks for your insight!

The purpose of beta testing is not only to find possible bugs in the controller, but to setup properly the system on Simtools and tune it so its comfortable for most users and ultimately to compare the motion of their platforms between SF and Simtools.

Thanks
Thanos

Hi everybody

I am planning to build an motion simulator similar to Prosimu P7MP. This build will need 7 actuators: 4 actuators for the upper part, a 3DOF DBOX style with Heave, Roll and pitch, and 3 actuators for the lower part, a platform capable of surge, sway, yaw, front traction lost and rear traction lost.

@thanos, I read that the AMC-AASD15A motion controller is capable to manage 7 actuators (7th is auxiliary). Can the AMC-AASD15A be used in the motion simulator described above?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Yes, the AMC-AASD15A is capable of controlling up to 7 servos. The 7th servo has to be wired on a external db25 plug. I'm designing the 3D printed enclosure to have a spot to be able to mount that extra DB25 port on the side.

If you need more axis, the AMC-MDBOX servo controller can do up to 8 actuators (or two 4in1 drivers), but its not compatible with AASD-15A ones.

Thanks
Thanos

For all of you interested in beta testing, please send request via PM to Thanos with pictures of your setup.

Thanos need people with actual finished and functional setup, or users that have spare AASD driver and actuator to add Traction loss system to their rig.

Thanks

For all of you interested in beta testing, please send request via PM to Thanos with pictures of your setup.

Thanos need people with actual finished and functional setup, or users that have spare AASD driver and actuator to add Traction loss system to their rig.

Thanks

I can't agree with you more, we indeed have this kit, and already asking Thanos to make the most mad and insane testing programe to make it work 24X7 without any stoppings. lol
4Dof+Traction loss (2).jpg

Thanks

Exactly. They will be the first to try all these new features:

-Automatic home calibration
-Adjustable stroke
-Adjustable screw pitch
-Traction loss
-Adjustable acceleration speeds up to 2G
-Simtools support...

Thanks
Thanos

I just finished the 3D printed enclosure design. Made it three pieces eventually for easier printing. Sketchup and STL files will be available for modifications. I made the parts transparent in the screenshots to see the inside details.

AMC-AASD15A_top.jpg

AMC-AASD15A_side.jpg

AMC-AASD15A_back.jpg

Thanks
Thanos

Thanos is really busy to provide you the best controler possible, this thing is gonna be a game changer for DIY actuators users.

The first beta board assembly are starting right now and will be ready to ship in the next few days to selected enthusiast.

Stay tuned to see some first testing videos in the coming weeks ;)

JPEG_20190521_135914.jpg

Ok, all is set. Here is a video for the beta testers to quickly get familiar with the LCD menu system of the AMC-AAS15A servo controller, and what some important settings are.

Thanks
Thanos

I'm not sure the terminology on your UI is accurate. Number of motors is not always equal to Degrees of Freedom (DOF).

In our 3-dimensional world, we measure space using 3 axes (X, Y and Z). An object in 3D space (such as our motion base) has 2 degrees of freedom on each axis: Translation and Rotation. This means there are a total of six degrees of freedom:

X Rotation (Pitch)
X Translation (Sway)
Y Rotation (Yaw)
Y Translation (Heave)
Z Rotation (Roll)
Z Translation (Surge)

o7eMw1R.jpg

In the case of a motion base with 4 actuators on it (one on each corner), the possible degrees of freedom are:

Y Translation (Heave)
Z Rotation (Roll)
X Rotation (Pitch)

HHvDyIt.jpg

Therefore, this configuration has 3 Degrees of Freedom (3DOF). As you can see, there is no way to implement true X translation (sway), Z translation (surge) or Y rotation (yaw). Surge and sway can be "faked" using Pitch and Roll, but that doesn't mean you have a 5DOF system. DOF is only about the actual axes of rotation and translation the platform is capable of moving in.

So I would make the argument that in the controller UI, this 4-actuator configuration is referred to as a 4DOF system, which is misleading. It is 4 motors, but 3DOF.

Note: it has been brought to my attention by user @Joe Extraknow that there is a 4-actuator configuration that can provide 4DOF. It looks like this:

BGQ8lpE.jpg

So clearly 4DOF is possible with 4 actuators (the above rig is capable of Yaw). But in the DBox/SFX-100 configuration it is only 3DOF. And @Joe Extraknow would argue that the 4-actuator 3DOF configuration is problematic. But I will leave that to him to explain.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the terminology on your UI is accurate. Number of motors is not always equal to Degrees of Freedom (DOF).

In our 3-dimensional world, we measure space using 3 axes (X, Y and Z). An object in 3D space (such as our motion base) has 2 degrees of freedom on each axis: Translation and Rotation. This means there are a total of six degrees of freedom:

X Rotation (Pitch)
X Translation (Sway)
Y Rotation (Yaw)
Y Translation (Heave)
Z Rotation (Roll)
Z Translation (Surge)

o7eMw1R.jpg

In the case of a motion base with 4 actuators on it (one on each corner), the possible degrees of freedom are:

Y Translation (Heave)
Z Rotation (Roll)
X Rotation (Pitch)

HHvDyIt.jpg

Therefore, this configuration has 3 Degrees of Freedom (3DOF). As you can see, there is no way to implement true X translation (sway), Z translation (surge) or Y rotation (yaw). Surge and sway can be "faked" using Pitch and Roll, but that doesn't mean you have a 5DOF system. DOF is only about the actual axes of rotation and translation the platform is capable of moving in.

So I would make the argument that in the controller UI, this 4-actuator configuration is referred to as a 4DOF system, which is misleading. It is 4 motors, but 3DOF.

I agree with you. Even if 4 actuators its still 3DOF... but I'm sorry if I spoil the excellent analysis you did, but there is actually a 4th DOF on the SFX100, this is the case when One of the actuators is not moving perpendicular to the rest, with the platform ending up hanging on three legs... :roflmao:

I know that the number of motors should be represented better with another name... perhaps I'll change the name from DOF to Axis so it will agree with the physical outputs from Simtools....

IMG_20190526_164641.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 370 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years