Skins Textures size on car skins

Hi all,

I have downloaded some skins for various cars, particullary GTs, and I have found the texture sizes are around 8192,4096 with a file size around 21MB or more.

Are these sizes really required or are they too much? I reduce the size to 2048 resulting in a 2MB dds file size. I really did not appreciate a lot of difference with the car on track in terms of quality, it may definetly affect performance, as less GPU memory space and bandwidth would be required. Have people here done the same and found any impact on quality/performance?

I am using Paint.NET to edit the dds. And I have found when saving there are dx1, dx3 and dx5 format options. The difference seems to be related to the alpha channel, but I am not sure when I open a dds on what format it is, as everytime I save the file it selects the dx1 format.

I appreciate any comments that would help me understand this.

Do you know if dx3 and dx5 textures are being use on some AC skins? If so, is there a way to know what is the current format on a loaded dds file on Paint.NET ?
And what about the use of MipMaps when saving?

Hi all,

I have downloaded some skins for various cars, particullary GTs, and I have found the texture sizes are around 8192,4096 with a file size around 21MB or more.

Are these sizes really required or are they too much? I reduce the size to 2048 resulting in a 2MB dds file size. I really did not appreciate a lot of difference with the car on track in terms of quality, it may definetly affect performance, as less GPU memory space and bandwidth would be required. Have people here done the same and found any impact on quality/performance?

I am using Paint.NET to edit the dds. And I have found when saving there are dx1, dx3 and dx5 format options. The difference seems to be related to the alpha channel, but I am not sure when I open a dds on what format it is, as everytime I save the file it selects the dx1 format.

I appreciate any comments that would help me understand this.
yes this is a concerns no wonder why then sometimes there is stuttering or things like that, it ovbiously have more load on your gpu cause you ar eloading more megabytes into it

You don't actually have to save the texture files at just 2048, 4096 or 8192.

A happy compromise between the 2048 and 4096 sizes is 3072....it will still save as a dds at this size and provide a slightly better graphics option than the 2048, without the load of a 4096 sized texture.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%