Testing some settings from my Race 07 research

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
Some images from testing what different lights and materials settings look like in GTR2
I use the HQ Donington as base, just adjusting lights in different ways here.

gtr2temp4.jpg
gtr2temp3.jpg
gtr2temp5.jpg

The issue I got most with conversion from Race 07 to Gtr2 are textures that are still encrypted and therefor throw an error in Gtr2.
Check missing textures and objects in 3DSimed but that is not always usefull info as it list textures that is available. But sometimes you can visual spot the problem as it shows up as pink, missing textures in 3DSimed just like in Race 07.

For some reason the car can't be previewed in spinner or expo, but it works in game

Do you have <SPIN> and <EXPO> pointing to gmts in the CAS file?

The issue I got most with conversion from Race 07 to Gtr2 are textures that are still encrypted and therefor throw an error in Gtr2.
Check missing textures and objects in 3DSimed but that is not always usefull info as it list textures that is available. But sometimes you can visual spot the problem as it shows up as pink, missing textures in 3DSimed just like in Race 07.

Do you have <SPIN> and <EXPO> pointing to gmts in the CAS file?
Yes, the factory cars work and can be seen in menu, but Matt Neals car gets "inactivated".
So I think maybe some Matt-Neal-specific texture is the cause.
But I have opened and reexported them (and even excluded them), so it is tricky to find the problem.
Really don't like that the game gives up on the whole car when there is something wrong.
In Race07 only the trouble part is excluded unless there is a problem with a car body part.

I have also had some problems with encrypted textures, but I think that I have learnt to avoid those things now most of the time.

One thing that makes this harder than it have to be is that these models are the first one I made, even if everything is updated since then there are still quite many materials. I have checked them one by one in the materials editor, so no textures should be missing.

Will have a new look soon :thumbsup:

The car models (in edited form) are part of FRM TOURING CARS & FRM SUPER TOURING

View attachment 444707

I gave permission for a conversion, but I think the permission was handed over one or two times, and the models ended up being part of something a little bit different that I had thought.
It was the same thing with the rfactor1 and the rfactor2 versions.
As a modder myself I understand the desire to build upon and develop things, but it is also some mixed feelings when loosing control of my own work that I have spent so much time making.
I always wanted the conversions to be as close as possible to what I had made, because that was the "composition". It was almost like sending your child to a photographer and then receive a photoshopped picture resembling a mix of the child and someone else ;)

That may be a reason to make a limited conversion to GTR2 myself, but on the other hand, the more versions that are out, the more "illegal" half made or bad conversions to other games without any permission at all (Assetto Corsa, Automobilista1).:unsure:
Just to clarify: my words about the gtr2 conversion could were bad chosen. The guys making the Gtr2 version have been very respectful and have done nothing wrong.
(In some ways I think I am like an excentric artist and I don't want to let go of my work, and have to do everything myself.)

Adding sounds to the cars. A lot of sound volume editing is needed since it can't be set in the aud file here sadly :O_o:
The cubemap and materials are more sensitive for imperfections, so I also tweak normals to look better. I did a lot of manual editing some time ago, but there are always some more areas to improve.

1614034380712.png

1614034517657.png

1614034555481.png

It looks like it is much more sensitive to normals, so the texture 'moves' very fast over an almost flat surface. Almost like this low poly example from zmodeler, but not as bad obviously:

1614063828704.png

It isn't necessarily caused by the cube map, it can also be caused just by not so good materials settings (too much reflections? higher cubemap resolution?) in the gmt files so small imperfections look worse.
I always add painted shading to the specular map of the car body. I think it really helps in Race07, and it is possible that it is not to the same degree in GTR2 so it doesn't help that much.
Or it could be as simple as the lack of ability to use different colors it the fresnel materials specular map is the difference. In Race07 you can mix specular light and cubemap by the color, and that is very useful.
Red = more roughness, looks like plastic
Purple = chrome or mirror
orange = looks like paint, used by simbin. I also add some blue for more cube map.
etc...
Not sure exactly how it works, but I have experimented with mixing colors and found some useful presets for different materials.

"fresnel cube map add spec map add alpha reflect" has a nice fresnel effect.
But the emissive rgb is weak and diffuse light color doesn't seem to have much effect, so the cars looks too bright sadly.
Otherwise it would be useful :)

fresnel cube map add spec map add alpha reflect" has a nice fresnel effect.

That will not work as it uses texture alpha as reflect and since there isn't any alpha channel in the Race 07 textures the reflection value are 100%
The right reflect values are in the spec alpha.
But it isn't as simple as just changing which alpha to use.:(
Hope to have something better worked out in the next couple of day

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%