Testing some settings from my Race 07 research

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
Some images from testing what different lights and materials settings look like in GTR2
I use the HQ Donington as base, just adjusting lights in different ways here.

gtr2temp4.jpg
gtr2temp3.jpg
gtr2temp5.jpg

And sometimes it's not rather obvious to find the little detail causing the CTD.
I suppose you had a look at a trace file to have a bit more infos about it ?

When not precise enough, sometimes the problem is just a gmt or folder or model naming.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder :thumbsup:
It didn't tell exactly what was wrong, but helped by giving some clues.

This <SPIN>, <EXPO>, <MAX> etc thing is new to me, so I had only added some of them for the moment. I had to add <MAX> to the wheel parts to make it work.

<spin> is for small car rotation in menu
<expo> is for big showroom
<low> for low detail
<med> for medium detail, etc...

but you can replace every detail setting low,med,high,max by <notspin> only : it will be applied to all graphics settings on track.

run GTR2_DEBUG.CMD to launch gtr2 with trace mode then after ctd the trace file will pop up : scroll down to last lines to see what's wrong.

Last edited:
It is mostly an experiment, so I don't know what the result will be.
Just got some cars to load in game, but they don't look as good without the fresnel shaders.
Probably they will look better after some tweaking.

So I'm not sure it will be released, and if so it would probably be just 1998 or 1997 season(s)

It depends on how this experiment goes I think. I have added the 1998 cars now, but there are a lot of bugs and ugly 'things' that I need to learn about and overcome.
Race07 is so much more user friendly to work with, it seems they have made so many tiny improvements to how things are loaded.
Things like if there is an error in one part, that part is not loaded, but the rest of the car is in Race07, if one texture is missing it just shows up as green, but here everything is disabled. Some cars work in menu but not in game, some work in game but not in menu...

So going from Race07 to gtr2 is the wrong direction I guess, the opposite direction would be less frustrating :roflmao:

Any clue what this means?
Obviously some kind of texture loading problem, but I can't see that any texture is missing...

Unable to read C:\USERS\ANDREAS\DOCUMENTS\GTR2\USERDATA\LOG\vehgen.scn: Error loading texture NULL

A texture is either not set in 3dSimEd (check shaders with cube maps and spec maps lines to see if one of them is empty) or is missing inside one of the .GTR files, or you forgot to declare one of the .GTR files in .CAS file ?
Or a texture is corrupted and cannot be read ?

Last edited:
The strange thing is that they all seems to be there in 3dSimed, and I load the .car file, so it should read the same folders as the .cas file :confused:
I work without the .GTR files for now, except the standard textures. Two or three cars have the same issue, but the others work.
I guess I have to do the boring and time consuming task to disable most of the gmt files for the cars and then add them one by one to find the cause :sleep:

Mostly the log file mentions which car or gmt cannot be found because of this texture.... but here it seems more general and no single name is mentioned.
I never had such an error .... strange indeed.

Are there no differences between the content of .cas files of the cars without issue and the ones with this issue ?

I can see which cars are affected by the slot id's in the trace file.
Maybe there is some file format in the textures that GTR2 just don't like.

Also having a strange problem with Matt Neal's Nissan. It should be almost identical to the factory Nissans, and uses the same .cas file and similar textures and texture names. Also copied everything but team and driver name etc from the other .car files
For some reason the car can't be previewed in spinner or expo, but it works in game :roflmao:

I'm pretty sure this will be solved, but it is very annoying right now.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back