• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by GAIAjohan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Oubaas

Oubaas

Ratings:
    +3
    I bought this on sale on Steam the other day, and I may have a successful tweak to cure or greatly reduce the jaggies.

I got to thinking that it came from Slightly Mad and started wondering if there were any additional settings in graphicsconfig.xml from Shift 2 Unleashed that might help TDFRL. Your graphicsconfig.xml is located in the Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends folder inside your Documents folder. Changing it as follows almost completely eliminated jaggies for me. I tried every combination of AA that I have, but the jagged edges didn't disappear until I edited graphicsconfig.xml.

Under the heading, <data class="GraphicConfigData" id="whatever">, change your file to read like this:

<prop name="Name" data="" />
    <prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1080" refresh="60" />
    <prop name="Vsync" vsync="0" />
    <prop name="AntiAlias" antialias="3" />
    <prop name="Windowed" windowed="0" />
    <prop name="TextureFilter" texturefilter="1" />
    <prop name="TextureResolution" textureresolution="2" />
    <prop name="Brightness" brightness="10" />
    <prop name="CarDetailLevel" cardetaillevel="3" />
    <prop name="TrackDetailLevel" trackdetaillevel="3" />
    <prop name="ShadowDetailLevel" shadowdetaillevel="4" />
    <prop name="MotionblurLevel" motionblurLevel="3" />
    <prop name="EffectsDetailLevel" effectsdetaillevel="2" />
    <prop name="EnvmapDetailLevel" envmapdetaillevel="3" />

If you combine that with your card settings, antialiasing is very, very good. My ATI settings in Catalyst Control Center for this title are:

Anti-Aliasing Mode - Enhance Application Settings
    Anti-Aliasing Samples - Enhance Application Settings
    Filter - Edge Detect
    Anti-Aliasing Method - Supersampling
    Morphological Filtering - On (Direct3D Application Only)

Anisotropic Filtering Mode - Override Application Settings
    Anisotropic Filtering Level - 16x
    Texture Filtering Quality - High Quality
    Surface Format Optimization - On

Wait for Vertical Refresh - Off, unless application specifies
    OpenGL Triple Buffering - On

Tessellation Mode - AMD Optimized
    Maximum Tessellation Level - AMD Optimized

I have no idea why this works, I'm not much of a tech guy. But as soon as I made these changes the jaggies went away. The game is now truly screenshot-worthy, with all those bright red beauties on display. This made a huge difference on my machine.

Also, the game was crashing on me. So even though it recognized my Fanatec wheel and pedals, I set the controls up as a custom wheel, based on some stuff that I had read on the Internet about gamepads causing crashes. It worked for my Fanatec rig. No more crashes so far.

Whether this will work for you on your machine, I don't know. But it made me like this title a whole lot better, so I hope this info helps someone. You nVidia users will have to translate the card settings to nVidiaese.

Now, if I could just unlock that 250 GTO...

Oubaas

2. Dave R

Dave R

Ratings:
    +208
    Does anyone know where to find the save file that unlocks all the cars and tracks? The link that was posted on another site is dead and I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance!!

3. Blkout

Blkout

Ratings:
    +585
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dave R

Dave R

Ratings:
    +208
    Thank you so very much!!! I really appreciate it.

5. Furtibe

Furtibe

Ratings:
    +0
    • Love Love x 1
  6. jbodin

jbodin

Ratings:
    +2
    Really wanted to be able to do the "career mode" on my PC, bought it cheap on Steam, but it ALWAYS locks up after the first mission and I have to exit the game and kill the process, but when I do that it never gives me credit for completing the first "mission," so I've been stuck and unable to proceed.

Link above doesn't seem to work but I did find this, which DOES work:

https://savesforgames.com/game-saves/save-for-test-drive-ferrari-racing-legends/

Simple install, unlocks all of the career mode events and cars, so you can just go in and run any of the career "missions" that you want at any time. I'm attaching a career mission checklist that I made up -- just print it out and check off each mission as you complete it (makes it easier to keep track of where you are in your "career" -- since all the missions are unlocked, there's no way to track your progress in-game).

Fun game, IMO, seems to work well with my T500 and my triple-screen setup. Nice fun diversion from iRacing, reminds me a bit of the old, classic Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed game (which I enjoyed quite a bit).

The AI generally sucks, but the driving model is convincing enough to make it fun just tooling around in the old vintage classics trying to meet the career mode objectives.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. AutoClubMonaco

AutoClubMonaco

Ratings:
    +2

I've just bought this and the game locks up after a mission and never saves my wheel settings. I've read that the lockups are to do with having a wheel connected but can't find any kind of solution. Are you managing to save the wheel settings?

8. jbodin

jbodin

Ratings:
    +2
    Note that if you DON'T log in to Games for Windows Live, the game will NEVER save your settings or your controller config, etc., so the Games for Windows Live logon is essential.

The lockups you mention are a real problem -- not sure if the menu has problems with modern versions of Windows or what, but I've gotten used to using ALT-TAB to escape to desktop, launching Task Manager to kill Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, then re-launching the game to do the next mission.

What I did to get it to save my controls was this:

Start the game, log on to Games for Windows Live using the "APTEM" profile if you're using the career mode unlock files I linked to above, then go into the config menus and set up your graphics, audio, and controls, then exit the game without doing anything else.

Then, re-launch the game, log on to Games for Windows Live using the "APTEM" profile again, and see if it saved your settings -- it SHOULD have saved them. At this point, you can go ahead and launch a mission or whatever, and your wheel settings should all be present.

If that doesn't do it, then you'll need to try running the game as Administrator -- to do that, right-click on the desktop shortcut for the game, then select "Run as Administrator."

Then, anytime the game locks up, just ALT-TAB out and kill the game via Task Manager, then re-launch the game to continue with the next mission.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. AutoClubMonaco

AutoClubMonaco

Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for that matey, all sorted. Still crashes every now and then but seems to be the norm. You don't happen to know if there is a way of getting rid of the HUD on the replays? God knows why they thought having a big red section at the bottom of the screen would be a good idea!

10. jbodin

jbodin

Ratings:
    +2
    Glad that got you going in the right direction! I have the same question about the replays -- haven't been able to figure that out, unfortunately. I'll check back in if I manage to get that or anything else sorted. Really enjoying going through the career mode missions, and they DO seem to get tougher and more challenging as you go, which is good!

:)

11. AutoClubMonaco

AutoClubMonaco

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one, i'm sure one of the talented chaps on here can fiddle with the script for it.

12. AutoClubMonaco

AutoClubMonaco

Ratings:
    +2

Finally got what i wanted out of this game but blimey it was a tough ask. I had to edit the replay nonsense out with Photoshop. It's rather a fun game when it works. Just uploading every car from the game to showcase it off.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQjud7C3mUWTXlIpnn8jB-xaiEuwECrat

13. gueme

gueme

Ratings:
    +0
    This one is a long shot, but I would like to ask
    a) other than save games, is there a trainer to unblock everything?
    b) and chiefly, if a camera mod was ever released for TDFRL? One in which there's no 'look to apex' in the cockpit camera, or where the 'behind the car' camera is static? There are a couple of mods of Shift 2 but they don't work on this game.

Thanks in advance!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.