• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by GAIAjohan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Keith Windsor

Keith Windsor

Ratings:
    +641
    Why did you have to point that out? Now I want it. :laugh:
    I've never actually heard of it, but it looks like it's worth a go for a tenner.

2. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +597
    Well I finally took the plunge as Steam had this on sale.

I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Yes the career is somewhat repetitive. Yes the AI is very slow. Yes there is no qualifying, set-up and little damage. But driving the 50s and 60s cars around 50s and 60s tracks is fun. I initially assumed the cars had too much grip but when I got to the Ferrari 312 F1 67 part of the career I found my laptimes are very similar to my laptimes in GPL - though the tyres are more forgiving on and over the limit. I suspect its the greater sense of speed in FRL that gives you the impression you must be going round the corners quicker.

Its certainly not going to replace any of my sims and I probably won't be playing it for more than a few weeks especially as the later cars don't interest me. It is a real shame the AI isn't quicker but for £10 I will get my money's worth of entertainment.

3. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +72
    They might not be quick but they are pretty ruthless at bumping and wrecking right in front of you in "hard" mode. I don't have all the cars unlocked yet but, My fav at the moment is the 67 F1.

4. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

Ratings:
    +968
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,135
  6. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

Ratings:
    +968
    Not £3.75 crap!

7. Justin Swan

Justin Swan
    RD-DVLC

Ratings:
    +968

I think they could have picked a better driver for the preview lol. He's to busy looking in the mirrors all the time..perhaps it wasn't a HE ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  8. Bryan O'Connor

Bryan O'Connor

Ratings:
    +207
    Actually rather fun and a steal at the price. Windows Live is a pain though.

Classic cars are great. Treat it as a bit of fun and not a Sim and you will get great value for money. :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +93
    This is the game I use for a quick 20 lap race against the AI almost daily. The graphics are perfect on my system, better than anything that has been released in the last year. Some of the cars just suck, but there are a few (308GTS) that I think are brilliant. Control and feedback with the Fanatec CSR is spot on. I enjoy it much more than some highly hyped titles that were just released.

10. David Ignjatovic

David Ignjatovic

Ratings:
    +489
    Really....that'll have to be my next wheel as it's pretty ordinary on my G27, for example, it probably has the greatest pendulum "physics" I've ever experienced.

11. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +93
    The pendulum physics are closer to what actually happens out on track the way I drive, and if you want to learn to Scandinavian flick, or Pendulum turn, you can't beat this title. This is the only sim that I can use the same techniques that I actually use in racing, both asphalt and dirt, to position the car with a inertia drift. Almost every other sim has unrealistic breakaway characteristics, and very limited accuracy with what happens in regards to extreme slip angles.

12. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +597
    Given the guy behind the tyre physics was also the guy behind Richard Burns Rally physics this might not be too surprising.

13. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +93
    I did not know that David. I figured Ferrari would not let a representation of their cars to go out without correct tire physics.

14. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +117
    I bought this title when it was released and had great fun with it. I think it was quite underappreciated every new car I got was so fun to drive. Really great Simcade physics. Never been a Ferrari fan or something but this kind of made me :) Sure it was very frustrating at the same time with it´s bugs. That was one reason people may have overlooked it´s merit beside a very odd difficulty curve. Extremely easy then all sudden you have to use all your simracing skills accumulated over the years as you get to modern Age and stop playing. But I suppose it´s a nice mix of casual or hardcore playstyle I can see it now but felt odd at the time that they went that route.

Sadly I lost my profile but I will continue pretty much where I left in modern age when I get my USB adapter for my CS shifter. You really don´t want to run this title with paddles if there is an option.

15. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +93
    There is a unlock all cars profile available.

16. Tobias Liesaus

Tobias Liesaus

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi, where can i unlock all cars?!

i actually like this game very much. its a really underrated racing game. and for Ferrari Fans a must have! :)
    the only problem i have with it, that i loose FFB in some of the old cars? it havent happend to the modern cars yet, only at the "golden" age stage...

17. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +93
    Do a search for - Test Drive Ferrari unlock all tracks - I just checked, and the modded file is still out there.

18. Birddogg66

Birddogg66

Ratings:
    +67
    All it needs is a FFB patch being either of official or unofficial patch. I really don't care. However I would be grateful if somebody did one.;)

19. Blkout

Blkout

Ratings:
    +585
    This game isn't terrible, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel like Shift 2 Unleashed with nothing but Ferrari's and brutally tough AI in the later stages of the career.

20. Zzyzx

Zzyzx
    Warren Williams

Ratings:
    +14
    It feels way better than S2U in my opinion. S2U had that terrible 'loose suspension' feel where the cars would literally wobble around as they went through the corner. There's none of that in this game. My issues with it are the really easy AI, the fact it often freezes at the end of a race (at least on my system), and the fact you can't turn off auto-blip etc.

If someone could come up with a mod to fix the above it would be great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.