Terrible Understeer

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
I've given raceroom another go after a while following an upgrade to a fanatec wheel. I have dialled my settings in as far as I can, but things still feel vague and mushy. It's like I am turning the car in, but the car is not reacting. I've tried the GT3 and WTCC cars and both seem to have chronic understeer. I've dialled some of that out with extreme anti roll bar settings, but I do wonder if I have set something up wrong.

My settings are:

Fanatec Wheel

Steering Angle - Auto
FFB 85
Drift -1 (I tried off, but the wheel feel even more mushy)
FEI 60
FOR 100
SPR 100
DPR 100
BLI 75
BRF 94

And I have attached screenshots of the R3E settings.

Any advice people can offer would be great. I am thinking of buying some more content, but I am not going to if I can't drive the cars! I am sure it is just me being crap...

Attachments

• Snow-1.JPG
    Snow-1.JPG
    503.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Snow-2.JPG
    Snow-2.JPG
    521.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Snow-3.JPG
    Snow-3.JPG
    514 KB · Views: 98
  • Snow-4.JPG
    Snow-4.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Snow-5.JPG
    Snow-5.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Snow-6.JPG
    Snow-6.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 98
Bare in mind that some cars are naturally understeery (or are set up that way by default) so it may not be anything to do with your wheel settings. The Porsche is a good example, can't remember what the Alpina is like as it's been ages since I drove it properly. Any FWD car will also be very understeery if you're overdriving it even slightly, because all the work is being done by the front tyres and it's easy to break traction with heavy inputs, especially while cornering.

I'd also suggest that if you're getting understeer in all cars then it's probably more likely to be down to technique than wheel settings. For example, it's a problem I used to suffer with (and still do sometimes) because I've always been the last of the late-brakers. Braking as late as possible might seem faster, but half the time it just overworks the front tyres, causes understeer, and buggers up your corner entry. Getting on the throttle too early during or exiting a corner will also cause understeer.

As Ross said above, I'd look at entry, lines and braking.
I've found in Raceroom if I don't smash the apex or have all four tires on the pre baked racing line where there's more grip the cars will push hard.

Not having dynamic track rubbering makes running alternative lines a bit more difficult as there is less grip in that area.

I don't have a fanatec wheel, but the setting I've found that helps with front end cornering feel was raising the lateral setting which is 50 stock to 55.

On the Sector3 forms Alex has suggested turning steering rack to 0 if you have it enabled as it's not working completely right atm, the testers have said they've been getting a better feel across the cars aswell.

Only other wheel tweak I'd suggest is lowering the understeer setting to below 20 so it doesn't kick in as fast.

Cheers
David

Pretty sure the devs themselves have said (quite recently) that you have less grip when you go off the usual racing line. So it seems perhaps it does exist but it's not dynamic.
Well, it would be interesting to have a source for that. I was under the impression that they were talking about off track excursions.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. Oddly enough, I have managed to fix it, and the cars now drive really well - even the WTCC cars that I could not even get into the corners at Zolder before.

I have spent a day going through all my sims and properly setting up the CSW 2.5 I got for Christmas. For raceroom, I did the following:

1. I deleted all the old controller profiles from the my documents folder before I started.
2. I input the default settings again that were recommended on the Fanatec forum for R3E:
3. I turned the brake sensitivity, clutch sensitivity and release rate to 100. I also increased the steering sensitivity to 65 as it gave much better feel (in my view anyway)
4. I increased the FF Spring setting in game to 75. The steering felt far too light to me on the recommended setting - I like some weight in my steering even if the smart guys say heavier FFB makes you slower.

All the above transformed the feel of this game to the point that it is now much more pleasant to drive. I am mulling over whether to buy the content I don't have now.

Thanks for your help with the issues guys.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 282 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 39.9%