Terrain Shadows

When you get a area of Terrain that is much higher than the section of Terrain adjacent, is there a way to get the Higher Terrain, to cast a Shadow onto the Lower Section of Terrain..

Shadows.jpg
I have edited the .GBD file and the objects do form shadows and the vertical terrain dose look darker, but if you notice the shadow coming from the man in the Kart, well the top section of road is 2 meters above the section of road that the Kart is on, so in real life you should see a shadow on the lower section of terrain and track, that is longer than the shadow that is coming from the man in the Kart

It will all be dependant on the angle of sun that the game is being told to produce.

To get your shadows absolutely perfect (and this is something i`m working on), your track`s X axes has to be parallel to North, and also have the correct longitude entered for the location of your track, the time of year and the north direction.

I`m still learning to understand all of this suns azimuth stuff, so dont be surprised if i cant answer your questions (if you have any), but as it is for many other, this is still on the learning curve for me.

EDIT: what time of day were you running at in that picture?

Shadows-002.jpg
I think I understand about the sun, time and longitude, I think this picture will explain a little better.. if you notice the bollards on the higher level of terrain, you can see the first part of their shadows on the chamfer of the high level terrain and then you can see the rest of their shadows on the road of the lower terrain, but you should also see the line of the edge of the high level terrain on the low level terrain that would join up the shadows of the bollards on the low level terrain..

I have the longitude set at 60 to produce long shadows and time of day is 12:00

I dont think the track has a shadow setting in your SCN file.

But to give that to all your track pieces would (i assume) be a big FPS hit.

If you do want to do it.

Add "ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid, 32, 32)" to all the lines in your SCN file relating to your track pieces (normally t0_s1.gmt, t2_s1.gmt etc., but NOT ta*.gmt as that is terrain)

I`ve never tried this, or seen it done, so it might not work or it might give rFactor some serious thinking to do lol

It would be interesting to see the results if you wouldn`t mind posting them?

I don't think you can get terrain to make shadows in BTB.
I would suggest placing an object in the same position as your terrain.
Set it to cast shadows but not to render.
Then it should make a shadow over your track.

Terrain Shadows fixed..

Sorry for the time taken to get back to say thanks for your suggestions, but it seems that me and Eric Tozer came to the same conclusion, so thank you all for your help..

Things can become very tricky when you find out the limitations..

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 417 39.9%