Temporal, FXAA or... CMAA2?

Temporal AA and FXAA sucks.

No matter in what kind of game you see them implemented, they aren't good as MSAA.
Unreal Engine 4 in particular suffers about blurriness and even ghosting if we talk about TAA, due to it's rendering pipeline: deferred shading.
The majority of games in UE4 use this particular kind of shading, including Assetto Corsa Competizione.

So, what's the deal? Why we are talking about antialiasing?

Well, following the next upcoming release of Custom Shader Patch for AC, it will include lots of post-processing AAs and one of them is Intel's CMAA 2.0: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/conservative-morphological-anti-aliasing-20

DASH VS.png
50 vs.png
Unlike FXAA, CMAA has more clear edges without loosing much information (look at rev number or the pitboard)

Is it the best so far? That's a sobjective manner, but I think it's worth to see that integrated in the future (like in Dirt Rally 2.0)

So CMAA is better for fps than AC's FXAA. That's very good cos AC's FXAA doesn't cost many fps anyway.
Edit: just realised this is an AC Competizione thread. Oops, I thought we were talking about AC.
But you mentioned Custom Shader Patch

?

So CMAA is better for fps than AC's FXAA. That's very good cos AC's FXAA doesn't cost many fps anyway.
Edit: just realised this is an AC Competizione thread. Oops, I thought we were talking about AC.
But you mentioned Custom Shader Patch

?
That's not a mistake. My purpose is to look for an alternative AA for temporal and FXAA for ACC and I'm suggesting to look into CMAA as it provides a balanced sharpness/aliasing. I hope devs will see this thread. :)

That's not a mistake. My purpose is to look for an alternative AA for temporal and FXAA for ACC and I'm suggesting to look into CMAA as it provides a balanced sharpness/aliasing. I hope devs will see this thread. :)

It's the Unreal Engine and not Kunos dictating the anti-aliasing options in ACC. They are restricted to the Unreal SDK only supporting Temporal and FXAA.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 316 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.2%