Tell Us Your Favourite Le Mans Moment

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Le Mans 2017.jpg

Porsche rise like a phoenix from the flames, LMP 2 causes quite a stir and Aston Martin snatch it at the death - Le Mans 2017 was quite a race and full of action throughout.

With the chequer having waived, the champagne flowed and the celebratory slaps on the back or consolatory hugs and handshakes now over it feels like the perfect time to digest the action from Le Mans and share our opinions on the best, and worst, of the 85th running of the Le Mans 24 Hours.

With only six LMP 1 cars taking the start in France following the withdrawal of Audi at the end of 2016 it was always going to be a pretty open affair right from the get go. Toyota would be entering the race looking to make up for last years heartbreak with a three car strong assault, Porsche would be entering the race looking to make it three Le Mans victories on the bounce and the small privateer ByKolles team would be hoping to stick around and about the lead pack in the hope of picking up a surprise result.

Meanwhile in the incredibly tight 25 car strong LMP2 category the teams would be looking to not only secure victory in their own class but also to keep an eye out on the biggest prize in endurance racing, ready to keep up the pressure and see if the mighty Porsche and Toyota teams would allow some meaningful scraps from the table to drop the way of the second tier of Le Mans Prototype racers.

Prior to the event much confusion lay with the genuine form book for the GT teams, with many rumours flying around that big hitters Ford and Ferrari had been sandbagging heavily in the build up to the race in an effort to avoid substantial BOP restrictions and leave their cars too far away from the competitive baseline to cruise away from the field as in 2016.

Once the green flag dropped at 3pm local time in the village of Le Mans in France many of the above questions would be answered over the course of the 24 hours of racing, however with so much excitement on track and behind the scenes, what was your highlight from the 2017 running of the greatest motor race on earth?

Let us know in the comments section below!

Le Mans 2017 3.jpg
Le Mans 2017 4.jpg
Le Mans 2017 2.jpg

Last edited:
Highlight / lowlight of the race for me would be ByKolles.

Turned up with a sloppy team and poor car just looking to hang around and see if they could pick up a decent finish and stay out of trouble.

Had a reasonable quali to keep ahead of the strong LMP2 field then went and threw it all away on the opening lap with contact and ultimately retirement.

Only thing they had to do in a 24 hour race was keep out of trouble.. crashed on lap 1.

Awesomely poor.

Bet Kubica is glad he walked away from that mess before the start of the season....... :)

I rarely get out of seat because of excitement , But Corvette in GTE pro fighting for survival in the remaining 30 minutes got me up--I even shouted :rolleyes::) I was on the Corvette side..

The transition from Porsche between Lotterer losing his oil and them realising they can still make it. theres many fantastic parts of the race but you rarely get that emotion from teams

The most touchy moment for me personally was when the #9 Toyota LMP1 somehow started moving toward the pit lane after sitting for a while, and the pit crew cheered and rushed out ready for a pit stop. They stood there and waited and waited and waited but never saw the car coming in :( Very emotional moment for me, reminding me of many sad movies.

Starting at about 0:40 of this video below:

My favorite would be fellow sim racer (now pro racer) Edgar Lau racing in the 55 minute Road to Lemans in an lmp3 car I believe and doing a phenomenal job. In a field of 49 then started 10th and in his 25-30 minute stint he went from 10th to 5th before handing the car over to his teammate.

I was rooting for the Astons chuffed with the result. Unlucky for the 95 car, such a shame.

Feel awful for Toyota, they just had it in the bag, sown up and in the space of half an hour it had all gone wrong for them. Gutting.

Great race though and we'll done Porsches!

All of it.
Wonderful event.
Wonderful showcase for motorsport.
F1 needs to learn and understand, people at the events, people watching at home on free to view TV, make the events.
If children cannot see and visit events, the sport will die.
Rush for cash, is killing F1.
Aston Martin, great race.
Sad for Corrvette, great racing car.
Both cars sound stunning.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back