Resource icon

Misc Telemetry Application 5.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
I store the Telemetry app in a My Games folder inside my home/documents folder. I mentioned that I tried to run it as administrator because it wouldn't run with my account. When I run the java -jar Telemetry.jar command the first time, it creates several empty folders including settings. But it won't start because it can't find the two files I mentioned above. Every time I run it after that, it gives the same error and exits back to the command line, so there is no opportunity within the program to do ^s. The program doesn't run. Was there possibly a java update with last week's Windows updates?

So you cannot just double-click the Telemetry.jar in the installation directory?

I did exactly and you did, made clear installation to C:\bin\test, opened elevated command prompt and run the Java -jar Telemetry.jar. I see the error messages, but the tool starts. Could you try another directory. My Java version is 1.8.0_102.

Based on Codemasters' forum where they published the structure of the UDP output for "pc and console" this week, it would appear the output is the same. Otherwise, they would have posted a structure for PC and a separate one for consoles. Instead they said, "In F1 2016, UDP telemetry output can also be transmitted from PS4 and Xbox One" and give instructions on how to turn that on. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/46726/d-box-and-udp-telemetry-information#latest. There's nothing there at all to indicate any difference.

I tried this from work, where I have Win7. There, I have java 1.8.0_101 (at home I have 1.8.0.60). When I ran the program the first time, it gave the two error messages and then loaded up the graph screen. When I do this at home, it never opens the graph screen after the error messages...it just returns to the command prompt. Double-clicking flashes a command screen so fast that you can't see what it's saying; I suspect it's giving the same messages and closing the window when it exits. I'm going to look at updating Java at home tonight and see if that's the problem. Version 5.0 worked fine on my Windows 10 machine, so this is confusing, but it could be the java version.

As normal, you need to read the ReadMe.txt first. There are quite clear instructions, how to get the system up and running. In short.
  1. Install Java. (If you want to see it works, open command prompt and type 'java -version')
  2. When Java is up, unzip the package somewhere on your system. (If you put it into the 'Program Files' directories, then you need to do bit more, which I would not recommend for the first-timers). I would recommend, that you either create a C:\bin\Telemetry directory or you create the 'Telemetry' directory under your home directory, i.e. in Explorer type %homepath% and create the 'Telemetry' there (typically C:\users\<your user id>) and unzip the files into that directory. This is how run the tool.
  3. If you have done everything correct, the Telemetry.jar should have the Java icon. If there is no Java icon, your Java installation is not properly done. You might want to try to restart your computer just in case.
  4. Now you could try to start the tool by double-clicking the Telemetry.jar
  5. If the tool doesn't start you need to revisit one of the 1 or 2.
  6. If the tool starts, then you can close it and change the hardware_settings_config.xml as stated in the ReadMe.txt.
  7. When you have done the change, you can start the Telemetry tool.
  8. Then start the F1 2016
  9. If you have done this all properly, then when you go e.g. to Time Trial, when you start the first timed lap, you should start see the graph forming on the Telemetry tab.
I haven't tested the version on Mac since 3.1, so I don't know if it has changed somehow.

If you take the feed from PS4/XBOX, please contact me, so we can run some tests to see what the feed contains. It could be, that the feed is not the same as from the PC version, but I cannot verify that, as I don't own any console.

Cheers.
I can confirm that on the Xbox all the data seems to work the same as on pc. This is absolutely brilliant and I can't thank you enough for the work you've put into this as I've been waiting for something to provide telemetry from Codies F1 games since they started. Brilliant job mate. If you need any feedback on anything from someone on Xbox please just let me know.

Thanks guy. I guess I need two third party apps in order to run this, so I'll look to get Java either new or updated and see if that helps. I was able to unzip it, but there is no program to open the java file. I thought my year old Windows laptop would have had Java, but maybe the version is off.

Good to hear you have gotten it to work Peter.

I'm also running this on a Mac (well, trying to). When I run from a command line, this is the output that is generated:
Code:
Sep 28, 2016 1:25:32 PM ui.Telemetry Z
INFO: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry
Sep 28, 2016 1:25:33 PM ui.Telemetry b
WARNING: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at ui.Telemetry.b(SourceFile:51456)
    at ui.bb.run(SourceFile:965)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Sep 28, 2016 1:25:33 PM ui.Telemetry Z
INFO: jarDir: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry
Exception in thread "IconLoader1" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at ui.Telemetry.b(SourceFile:51461)
Sep 28, 2016 1:25:33 PM ui.Telemetry ab
SEVERE: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry/settings/graph_settings.xml (No such file or directory)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry/settings/graph_settings.xml (No such file or directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:93)
    at ui.Telemetry.ab(SourceFile:4515)
    at ui.Telemetry.Z(SourceFile:3743)
    at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:743)
    at ui.Telemetry.main(SourceFile:1825)

Sep 28, 2016 1:25:33 PM ui.Telemetry aa
SEVERE: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry/settings/settings.xml (No such file or directory)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry/settings/settings.xml (No such file or directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:93)
    at ui.Telemetry.aa(SourceFile:3767)
    at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:744)

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at ui.aL.getDescription(SourceFile:858)
    at com.apple.laf.AquaFileChooserUI$5.getListCellRendererComponent(AquaFileChooserUI.java:1269)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.updateLayoutState(BasicListUI.java:1361)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.maybeUpdateLayoutState(BasicListUI.java:1311)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI$Handler.valueChanged(BasicListUI.java:2623)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:184)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:164)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:211)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:405)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:415)
    at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.setSelectionInterval(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:459)
    at javax.swing.JList.setSelectedIndex(JList.java:2210)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.setListSelection(BasicComboPopup.java:1168)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.access$300(BasicComboPopup.java:63)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.itemStateChanged(BasicComboPopup.java:999)
    at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireItemStateChanged(JComboBox.java:1223)
    at javax.swing.JComboBox.selectedItemChanged(JComboBox.java:1280)
    at javax.swing.JComboBox.contentsChanged(JComboBox.java:1330)
    at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireContentsChanged(AbstractListModel.java:118)
    at com.apple.laf.AquaFileChooserUI$FilterComboBoxModel.propertyChange(AquaFileChooserUI.java:1297)
    at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.fire(PropertyChangeSupport.java:335)
    at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:327)
    at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:263)
    at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Component.java:8428)
    at javax.swing.JFileChooser.addChoosableFileFilter(JFileChooser.java:1149)
    at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:765)

Settings.xml and graph_settings.xml are generated after the program starts and you go into options and set them there.

I had errors like these until I updated java to the latest version. It was strange that I had to double-click on it several times for it to run. I'd run it; get the errors. Run it again, get the errors. Run it a third time, it worked.

I've got Java 8 Update 101. I'm running Telemetry.jar over and over and over again. I always get those errors. And the lack of those files is being called SEVERE by the output.

They are there now, only because I copied them over from running it on my wife's computer. However, I'm still getting errors:
Code:
Sep 28, 2016 4:52:56 PM ui.Telemetry Z

INFO: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry

Sep 28, 2016 4:52:56 PM ui.Telemetry Z

INFO: jarDir: /Users/wgeo/Documents/Telemetry

Sep 28, 2016 4:52:56 PM ui.Telemetry b

Sep 28, 2016 4:52:56 PM ui.Telemetry ab

SEVERE: java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.load(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:80)

at java.util.Properties$XmlSupport.load(Properties.java:1201)

at java.util.Properties.loadFromXML(Properties.java:881)

at ui.Telemetry.ab(SourceFile:4516)

at ui.Telemetry.Z(SourceFile:3743)

at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:743)

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:203)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:177)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:400)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:327)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1465)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:1019)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:606)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:504)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:848)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:777)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:141)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:243)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:339)

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.getLoadingDoc(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:106)

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.load(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:78)

... 6 more

Sep 28, 2016 4:52:56 PM ui.Telemetry aa

SEVERE: java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.load(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:80)

at java.util.Properties$XmlSupport.load(Properties.java:1201)

at java.util.Properties.loadFromXML(Properties.java:881)

at ui.Telemetry.aa(SourceFile:3768)

at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:744)

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:203)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:177)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:400)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:327)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1465)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:1019)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:606)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:504)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:848)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:777)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:141)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:243)

at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:339)

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.getLoadingDoc(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:106)

at sun.util.xml.PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.load(PlatformXmlPropertiesProvider.java:78)

... 5 more

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

at ui.aL.getDescription(SourceFile:858)

at com.apple.laf.AquaFileChooserUI$5.getListCellRendererComponent(AquaFileChooserUI.java:1269)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.updateLayoutState(BasicListUI.java:1361)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI.maybeUpdateLayoutState(BasicListUI.java:1311)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicListUI$Handler.valueChanged(BasicListUI.java:2623)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:184)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:164)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:211)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:405)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.changeSelection(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:415)

at javax.swing.DefaultListSelectionModel.setSelectionInterval(DefaultListSelectionModel.java:459)

at javax.swing.JList.setSelectedIndex(JList.java:2210)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.setListSelection(BasicComboPopup.java:1168)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.access$300(BasicComboPopup.java:63)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.itemStateChanged(BasicComboPopup.java:999)

at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireItemStateChanged(JComboBox.java:1223)

at javax.swing.JComboBox.selectedItemChanged(JComboBox.java:1280)

at javax.swing.JComboBox.contentsChanged(JComboBox.java:1330)

at javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireContentsChanged(AbstractListModel.java:118)

at com.apple.laf.AquaFileChooserUI$FilterComboBoxModel.propertyChange(AquaFileChooserUI.java:1297)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.fire(PropertyChangeSupport.java:335)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:327)

at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:263)

at java.awt.Component.firePropertyChange(Component.java:8428)

at javax.swing.JFileChooser.addChoosableFileFilter(JFileChooser.java:1149)

at ui.Telemetry.<init>(SourceFile:765)

I went ahead and installed Java 8 in order to run this app, but, despite Java confirming that it was installed in the correct config, when I try to run the .jar file, it says, Unable to install Java. There are errors in the following switches. = .jar file.

I'm also running this on a Mac (well, trying to). When I run from a command line, this is the output that is generated:
Code:
com.apple.laf.AquaFileChooserUI$5.getListCellRendererComponent(AquaFileChooserUI.java:1269)

Thank you for the data. The Mac UI part was written for 2.0 (I think), i.e. 3 years ago. I wanted to use the native Mac look and feel and it seems something there changed. I need to look into this, to ensure there is a way to run the tool also on mac. That was anyway the original reason to select Java, as I wanted to make it multi-platform, as many people might have a separate laptop around running Mac or Linux.

I test each release on Xubuntu, so I think getting it working on Mac should not be overly complicated. I will most likely get back to you with a PM.

//Iko

Interestingly, I ran this on RedHat workstation, which I use at work. The program ran even after generating this message:

Sep 29, 2016 1:07:54 PM ui.Telemetry Z
INFO: /hold/Telemetry_v5.1
Sep 29, 2016 1:07:54 PM ui.Telemetry Z
INFO: jarDir: /hold/Telemetry_v5.1
Sep 29, 2016 1:07:54 PM ui.Telemetry b

opti7010a10$:/hold/Telemetry_v5.1>java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_102"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_102-b14)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.102-b14, mixed mode)

Can someone tell me how to edit this: I opened the hardware settings file but cannot alter it. Do I have to inspect element to go into and change it. Thanks.
<udp enabled="false" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" />
to be
<udp enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" />

Inspect element? Are you opening the file in a web browser? Use a text editor, such as Notepad (at least, that's what it used to be called when I last used Windows regularly).

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 91 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 64 6.7%
  • < 5 years