Teamspeak

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Q:
My mates tell me I produce echos. How to fix?

A:
There basicly are two ways echos can occur:
Sound from your speakers/headphones being recorded by your microphone.
Your sound driver recording all sound that you hear for you.
Now, 'which one do I have' you might be asking yourself... You can find out quite easily: Just turn your speakers/headsets off (volume = 0%), and ask your mates if you are still echoing. If you are not, you got (a); if you are still echoing you have (b).
Fixing (a):
This type of echo is nearly impossible to fix completely, but you can minimize it greatly if you follow a few general points:
Switch your speakers off when TeamSpeak is on, use a headset to hear.
Use headphones that shield well, meaning they prevent as much sound as possible from being audible to the outside.
Try and keep your microphone as far away as possible from the headset (or more general, the sound-source).
Lower the volume of the sound-source.
Fixing (b):
These echos are produced by your sound-drivers, they should be configurable by your driver too (its not a bug, its a feature). From windows users we have often heard you can select from which devices to record in the mixer (a mixer is the place where you can slide all these volume controls). Make sure the microphone is the only entry that is being recorded from. How exactly this is called, and where exactly you can find it depends on your driver/OS combination, you just have to search around. Good luck.

Q:
When I try to connect to a TeamSpeak server I keep getting the message 'No reply from server'. What does this error mean?

A:
The client could not make a connection to the destination server you're trying to connect to. Either something is blocking the connection request or there is no server at the end. Please check the client.log file in the TeamSpeak folder to get more information about the connection attempt.
Possible reasons:
You entered an IP or port which is not correct or where no server is running on.
Check with the serveradmin if you have the correct IP and port and if the server is running. If the server doesn't run on the default port 8767, enter the destination address of the server like the following: IP:pORT or in numbers 192.168.1.1:8760 (this is just an example)
You have a firewall which is preventing a connection to the server.
Check your firewall manual to see how to allow TS a connection to any TS server. The ports required by TS are mentioned in the FAQ. If this doesn't help you, check a firewall forum for specific help for your kind of firewall
You can connect to some servers but not to the one specific.
Test several servers to make sure the problem lies not within your network configuration but on the server side.
The server hoster may miss a port forwarding or has a bad firewall config (this is often the case when new / network unexperienced user setup servers). Advice the hoster to configure the port forwarding.
You get a timeout.
A timeout issue can in certain cases be solved by switching the client into the debug mode. Some firewalls can cause timeout problems as well, so deactivate the firewall for testing. Wireless networks may as well be the cause of timeout problems. Try to connect without the WLAN and use an ethernet cable instead.
You get a socket error like 11004.
Check the sticky threads in the forum. Socket errors are described in several forum sections.
Note:
Do NOT use the WAN IP or serverlist to connect to your own LAN server. Your router will most surely not allow this. Within your own network, ONLY use the LAN IP. There is no difference even if you setup a port forwarding in your router, use the LAN IP when ever you or someone else is within the same LAN as the server is.

Q:
How do I set the codec I want to use?

A:
You can not set your own codec as user.
Instead, the client automaticly conforms to the codec that is set for the channel you are in. So, if the channel is set to CELP 5.1, you will send and recieve CELP 5.1 encoded data.
So if you want a different codec, you need to edit the channel options.

Q:
How can I connect to a TeamSpeak server via a webbrowser?

A:
Another way to connect to a server with the TeamSpeak Windows client is via a webbrowser. The way to do it is as follows:
teamspeak://IP:pORT
The parameters in the link are 'nickname', 'loginname', 'password', 'channel', 'subchannel', 'channelpassword' and should be separated by '?'. TeamSpeak will start up automatically and log you in according to the parameters given. Note that you do not have to enter all this information if you just want to connect to a server via your webbrowser. Just the IP address and port will do to log in to a server as a guest.
Example:
teamspeak://voice.teamspeak.org?nickname=WebGuest?channel=Talk Channels

Q:
Which ports does the client use?

A:
The TeamSpeak client uses RANDOM ports from the whole 1024-65535 range for source port and sends to port 8767 (UDP) unless indicated otherwise.
The TeamSpeak Client doesn't usually require any configuration of routers or firewalls. Do NOT setup your router to do port-forwarding or similar, as this is only needed when running the server.

Q:
I have problems with a game and the Linux client when using ALSA. How to fix?

A:
This is for those of you that are having problems running the game while TeamSpeak is running (like getting no sound in game or the game refuses to start).
Are you using ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)?
First thing to do is check if you are running alsa at all. Try 'lsmod | grep snd' in a terminal as root, if you get some lines of output, you are using ALSA, if you dont get anything, you are not.
Any sound daemons running?
Now we check if /dev/dsp is being used by any sound daemon. For this you need the program 'lsof'. If you dont have it installed you can get it from your distribution cd's. Now issue 'lsof | grep dsp'. This will list all aplications using the sound, idealy you shouldn't get any ouput, else we need to get rid of that daemon.
Getting rid of the sound daemon
If you got output in then you most probably have arts running. If something else is listed as programme name you have to get rid of that.
Disabling arts
Go to the KDE control center, hit search and type 'artsd' this should find a hit 'Sound-System'. In the dialogue you deselect start arts at KDE startup. Then you restart KDE and check if arts is still running. It should be gone.
Disabling other daemons
You can always resort to killing the processes 'killall yxz', but the better way is to find where you can set it to not start it.
Finding the process name of your game
For the following steps we need to know what the process is called that runs the game. To find out, you can start your game and switch to a ttySx (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 for example), then type 'top', and you should see the name somewhere high up (as your game should use lots of CPU).
Telling ALSA your game only needs playback
Now, to enable your game to play sound you have to tell ALSA that your game will not need to record sound or anything - else ALSA will refuse to give your game the capability to play sounds, since TeamSpeak already has the rights to record, and no two programs should be able to. Issue these commands as root:
echo 'quake3.x86 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo 'quake3.x86 0 0 disable' > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
Now you should be able to play your game with sounds while using TeamSpeak.
Since the /proc filesystem is not permanent you have to issue the commands in every time you rebooted and want to game with TeamSpeak. The sollution is to put those commands in a startup script, which will issue them automagicly at boot-up time. For SuSE its '/etc/init.d/boot.local', for Gentoo try '/etc/conf.d/local.start'. Just add those commands somewhere at the bottom of those files.

Q:
How can I register with a server?

A:
Only the members of RPM's raceteam can register. Visitors just fill in a nickname and click connect to login.
Members have to send Scyp[RPM] a pm with desired login and password and he creates an account for you.
When you received a reply from Scyp you go to our TS:
Now select 'Registered' and enter 'Login Name' and 'User Password' exactly as you did when registering with the server.

Q:
When I try to update the Web Server List I keep getting the message 'Error getting list'. How to fix?

A:
Please notice that this error is 99.99% a problem on the master server generating this list. In most cases this is not a client side problem so you can usually do nothing about it apart from waiting.
So please do not spam the forum with 'I can't get the server list' questions! Have patience and wait a few hours, days, ... The people at TeamSpeak do their best to bring up the server list as soon as possible but be aware that this service can not be guaranteed!
Note:
You can copy servers from the weblist to your local adressbook by clicking the 'Copy to local Adressbook' button located in the down right corner.

Q:
When I try to connect to a TeamSpeak server I keep getting the message 'Got a bad response from the server'. What does this error mean?

A:
This message indicates that you're trying to connect to a TeamSpeak 2 RC1 Server with a TeamSpeak 2 RC2 Client or vice versa.
As you can see from this errormessage, RC1 and RC2 are incompatible, so you should update both (server and client) to TeamSpeak 2 RC2.

Q:
How can I find the clients configuration file called 'TeamSpeak.Conf'?

A:
Usually the configuration file of the TeamSpeak 2 client is located in a hidden directory.
For Windows the file is located in '%appdata%/teamspeak2'. The file is called 'TeamSpeak.Conf'.
For Linux the logfile is on your 'home' directory, in the .teamspeak2 folder, so it should be '~/.teamspeak2/TeamSpeak.Conf'.
Note:
When you remove this file, all settings you've made in your TeamSpeak 2 client are gone. A backup can save your day when fiddling with it.

Q:
When trying to enter a server or channel the client gives an error message 'Codec not supported'. What does this error mean?

A:
Upgrade your TeamSpeak client. You are using an old version of it that doesn't have support for the variety of new codecs the modern ones have.

Q:
When I'm using the Windows client my PC reboots randomly. How to fix?

A:
Whenever Windows XP encounters a stop error (the kind that, in earlier editions of Windows, resulted in a bluescreen) the system automatically reboots. Windows XP generates an error message that reboots the system rather than continuing on and possibly corrupting data.
You can specify how the system handles these errors here:
Start -> Control Panel -> Settings -> System -> Advanced -> System And Recovery -> Settings
In the System Failure section, clear the 'Automatically Restart' check box and click 'OK'.
Now the system will show an error message (instead of just rebooting), which you can use to diagnose your problem.
Note:
It seems like Windows XP has some evil USB drivers installed by default, which are causing these problems. Try to get the latest drivers for all the USB hardware connected to your system.

Q:
Where are my client's log files?

A:
The client has a switch in Settings -> Options -> Other where you can specify how much detail to add into the logfile - while you are hunting a problem you may want to put this to 'Debug'.
For Windows the logfile is in the directory where you installed the client. The file is called '~/TSClient.log'.
For Linux the logfile is on your 'home' directory, in the .teamspeak2 folder, so it should be '~/.teamspeak2/TSClient.log'.

Q:
What do the letters behind the channels and nicknames mean?

A:
These letters are called flags. The following flags are available:
User flags - Server based:
U = Unregistered user
Unregistered users normally have less rights then registered users. Unregistered users CAN get AV, AO, CA or SA, but these rights will NOT be saved until the user has registered with the server.
R = Registered user
Unregistered users usually have more rights than unregistered users and they can theoretically get all available flags including CA, SA, AV and AO.
St = Sticky
Users that are sticky can't switch channels anymore. SAs can't be made sticky. This flag can only be given by SuperAdmins using the servers TCP query interface.
SA = ServerAdmin
ServerAdmins have full access to the servers functions. Depending on the servers configuration they can also change the servers permission-settings.
User flags - Channel based:
V = Voiced user
Users with voice rights can talk in moderated channels. This flag is only availabe in moderated channels.
AV = AutoVoice
This is a permanent flag which automatically gives the user voice rights when he joins the channel he got this right in. This flag is only availabe in moderated channels.
O = Operator
An operators main task is to give the voice flag to other users. Depending on the servers configuration they can also give AutoVoice rights. This flag is only availabe in moderated channels.
AO = AutoOperator
This is a permanent right which automatically gives the user operator rights when he joins the channel he got this right in. This flag is only availabe in moderated channels.
CA = ChannelAdmin
A ChannelAdmins main task is to manage a channel and it's users. Depending on the servers configuration they can give V, O, AV, AO and even CA.
Channel flags:
U = Unregistered channel
Unregistered channels are temporary channels. They will be deleted when the last user leaves the channel.
R = Registered channel
Registered channels are permanent channels. They will stay until someone deletes them manually.
M = Moderated channel
Users need specific flags to be able to talk in moderated channels.
S = Sub-Channels allowed
Channels with this flags can have sub-channels.
D = Default channel
The default channel is the channel all users will join in unless they've specified another channel when connecting to the server. There is exactly one default channel per server.

Q:
My in-game controls are messed up while I'm using the TeamSpeak client. How to fix?

A:
Symptoms:
While beeing in a game, you cannot run, you are crouching permanently and/or your keybindings stop working as supposed to do.
Solutions:
This is caused by a weird bug in Microsoft's DirectX. In many cases, disabling the NUM-block by pressing the NUM-key will help. Another way is to disable DirectInput in your TeamSpeak client.
Open the 'Settings menu and select 'Options'.
Select the 'Other' tab.
Check the 'Disable Direct Input' checkbox.
Click 'OK'.
Note:
This prevents key interception in most games, but that's not a problem if you don't use keybindings while yor're in-game and don't use the 'Push to talk' setting.

Q:
I'm getting disconnected randomy with the message 'Connection timed out'. How to fix?

A:
A timeout issue can in certain cases be solved by switching the client into the debug mode. Some firewalls can cause timeout problems as well, so deactivate the firewall for testing. Wireless networks may as well be the cause of timeout problems. Try to connect without the WLAN and use an ethernet cable instead.

What headset/microphone do you guys use for TS?

hs_600_c%20kopia.jpg

This is my beauty!!

• superpats[RTS]

After reading a test in a leading Dutch computer magazine i decided to get myself a Sennheiser pc150. Great sound and an immaculate mic.

TheStig[RPM];52218 said:
haha you too ? :) i am very familiar with that happening, almost broke mine last week when got stuck in the cable :)

No, was just joking because of the post above...
Btw, The quality of this headset is good. The negative part is the headset hanging on your ears.
Maybe I will get some other headset in the future, will be Zennheiser (non USB)

Messy

Have fixed teamspeak now, but for the first my voice sounds really low and the 2nd issue when someone talks they hear them self as an eco, my microfone starts to record when someone else talks..........Arghhh dont know what to do, can someone plz help me?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back